2001 F150 SuperCrew Amp Location

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 F150 SuperCrew Amp Location

Hello all-
I am about to embark on my 1st install job.
Have a 2001 SuperCrew XLT. Need to install 2 amps.
PG Xenon 600.1 - 18.6" x 10.5"
UsAcoustics 4065 - 11" x 10"
I am trying to figure out the optimal locations for them.
I have a SubBox going under rear seats, so that location is out.
I am wondering if I could get that monster uunder passenger & the smaller one under driver or at passenger's toes.
Is behind the rear seats a bad location? If it did it I would have to remove some or all of that plastic panel there, at least temporarily.
I have almost gone blind looking at posts on different forums to get ideas. Can someone help?

Old 02-16-2005, 03:58 PM
dallasd

Welcome to the forum:

I've had to do a few dozen of these "monsters" as you put them and you have still got a few choices.

measure the downward firing box...if it is long enough (and continues in the same lines without shifting) you can remove the subs and drill and holes to vertically mount your amp along that line. It will be out two inches or less but generally looks fairly custom to the neighbors.

as to under the seats I wouldn't recommend it for a few reasons. Ventilation and the very large permanent bolt that holds your jack being the biggest two. You can still do it, after all it is your truck, just giving you some choices.

another choice is if your willing to mount it (the big one, little can easily go under drivers seat (unless you have got electric seats, if so check the clearance of the seats) on the rear hump and just let people get in and out of the truck like their supposed to.

measure those and then lay the amps out and see how you like it.

Old 02-16-2005, 04:02 PM
one more question for you

do you have more than three to four inches between your cab wall and the rear seats, if so than a cab wall mount is easily your best bet as they will be out of sight (to potential thieves) and you will like that it is out of the path of spilled drinks (your amps worst nightmare). find out for me and I'll try and pull an installation sheet from work on cab wall drilling and get you what you need.

Just remember whatever you want is what you should do, damn the consequences and damn the installers.

Good Luck

Old 02-16-2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the reply. This is an awesome forum.
In my super, I have no clearance between the back seat and the plastic wall "thing" in there. The wall thing seems to be a big single piece molded plastic false wall with 2 little doors on it. The jack is in there on one side. I am thinking I might have to cut it or remove it completely. Then I will definitely have room for the amp(s). I think cutting it is best because removing it would expose cab metal below the window. I do have power seat on driver side but not on pass side.

Old 02-19-2005, 02:14 AM
I have 2 Alpine V-12 amps mounted on the back wall of my Screw. You have to remove the rear seat and the plastic piece that stretches across the back. I've never had problems with overheating and no thief would ever have time to get it out. (knock on wood)

Be careful putting things under your seat due to vent ducts!

Old 03-16-2005, 10:17 AM
Just a thought..

Could you remove the back wall plastic, install your amps on the back wall, under the window, cut vents into the plastic and reinstall it? I don't know how tall your amps might be, but if it works, it's be a clean install and the vents you cut would allow for air.

Just an idea. Let us know what you decide.
Good luck
DC

Old 03-16-2005, 06:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

When I had my '01 'Screw I cut that back panel you are referring to.

Here's a pic of what it looks like behind the panel (Except for the shiny stuff - that is RAAMat):

You could cut it so that it covers that metal brace running horizontally across the back (right above the sub box) and probably have room to mount your amps below the brace.

This pic is hard to see, but you can get the idea of what it looks like:

That was when I had 2 separate boxes for the subs - the pic above is from my "new and improved" box I built 6 months later.

The plastic cuts easy with a fine tooth hacksaw blade.

Old 03-19-2005, 12:23 AM
Something you might consider is the console. I have a 2001 F150 XLT. I wound up removing the arm rest/ console from between the 2 front seats, installing Fosgate 551s in its place, THEN re-attaching the console down on top of it. Granted, I had to perform a little surgery on the console, but regardless. A little fabric, hot glue and BAM!
Ive literally stripped my truck down finding the best location for my amps and subs...... The sure fire way, and I mean a kick *** system, is to remove the back seats all together.
I have the 60/40 bench seat in the back and the box I have was custom made because of the support bar where the seats seperate. Also, theres only about 9"s from the seat to the floor, so, your depriving your sound with having a small box to begin with.
Ive actually have concidered taking a torch to the back of the cab and front of the bed, and cutting a hole, then flush mounting a box. THEN, I could put my Crossfire vr1202 under my back seat instead of running long ways out from under my passenger seat. It 2 ft long by 9 in wide.

Quick Reply: 2001 F150 SuperCrew Amp Location