Amp install IN supercab rear seat bottom cushion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp install IN supercab rear seat bottom cushion?

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if this is possible and if it has been done? I am looking to do a clean install in my extended cab with all JL Audio components. I want to build a sub box and put it under the back seat (under the 60 side only) and either recess the amp in the subbox (which i dont think will leave enough room for the 10w3v2 sub, especially with a 450/4 amp) and cover it with plexiglass along with the crossovers or i want to put them in the seat cushion and cover them with fiberglass. Is this possible? And if it is, how costly and difficult would it be. Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Joe

Old 09-03-2003, 10:29 PM
The main concern with your idea is adequately ventilating the amp. If you cover it with cushion stuffin's, it might well get too hot and shut off (thermal overload, if the amp has such a feature). Also, depending again on the amp, it *could* conceivably become hot enough to ignite whatever it happens to be in contact with. That's a horror story, and maybe not likely, though the first scenario is definitely possible.

The super-duper audio kiddie crowd likes to vent amps with air tubes and such (sometimes even water cooling systems too, if you can friggin' believe that). But with such a simple idea, you might not want to get too overboard.

I would suggest definitely giving the sink some room to breathe, and make sure its not touching anything.

Hope that helps..

Old 09-03-2003, 10:58 PM
Amps have all kind of safeties in case they over heat. I would say stick it under the seat and don't worry about it. Just make sure not to put an ohm load that is not recommended for it on the amp. You should be fine. Amps can take a pretty good bit of abuse before they smoke.

Old 09-04-2003, 02:14 AM
Why can't you put the amplifier under the 40 portion under the back seat? Since you're only using the 60 portion for the box.. there is plenty of room there for the amp.

I've got 2 stacked on top of each other under my 40 portion back seat.

AND why on earth would you want to cut the King Ranch leather upholstery just to put an amp in there?

Old 09-07-2003, 03:25 AM
lol, it was just an idea...i figured it wouldnt get enough air in there. oh well :o when the funds come my way, i'll figure out what i'm gonna do, probably just mount it under the seat. goodnite & thanks for your replies, i appreciate it

Joe :o

Quick Reply: Amp install IN supercab rear seat bottom cushion?