2009 - 2014 F-150

Remote Start behavior

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 11:28 AM
fjc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start behavior

There have been a few threads about the Ford Factory remote start, and how on the 2010's the engine will shut off the second you open any of the doors.

I had posted that this was done on purpose by Ford, because of the new MyKey system. MyKey lets you program a key for a young driver, setting the maximum speed, radio volume level, etc. Apparently MyKey was bypassed if remote start was used, so Ford's solution was to have the engine shut off if the door was opened. This then forced the driver to start the engine with their key, picking up the MyKey settings.

From what I've read, apparently some dealers claim this behavior can't be changed. My dealer said, "No problem, bring it in." I took my 2010 in to my dealer yesterday morning to have this changed (Jack Demmer Ford in Michigan).

Their accessory guy told me, "I can keep MyKey working and just have it shut off the engine when you put the key into the ignition, or I can have it work like previous model years, where the engine keeps running and you just put your key in, turn it to ON, and go." I told him to do the latter so I wouldn't have to restart the engine. I was there maybe 15-20 minutes, and he was done.

Works like a champ. I originally figured it didn't matter much, but I like it working this way better. Now if I start the truck and walk out to it, I can open a door and get my scraper without having to restart the truck so that it keeps warming up/defrosting.

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know, in case you want to get yours changed.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Are the factory remote starters installed at the factory or at the dealer after delivery?

Old 12-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by tailspin
Are the factory remote starters installed at the factory or at the dealer after delivery?
They are installed at the dealer. I just read yesterday that for the 2011's they will come with the option of a true factory remote start.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:35 PM
fjc
Originally Posted by blackjack8900
They are installed at the dealer. I just read yesterday that for the 2011's they will come with the option of a true factory remote start.
They USED to be installed at the dealer - mine was installed at the factory. Or more correctly, after being built at the factory, it was sent somewhere where the remote start was installed, PRIOR to shipping to the dealer. Mine was the first 2010 that my dealer received that had the remote start already installed.

I'm figuring Ford is making the install more consistent, and perhaps saving money by having one installation company per plant, rather than paying the dealer for an hour or two of labor for the install.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:58 PM
I had a remote start issue with my wife's 09 Explorer. It was a DEI aftermarket alarm with start. The tech said in 09 Ford started using normally open door latch circuits or something new like that. So when you opened a door it sent a funky signal to the alarm. Mine would die then restart when I unlocked the car and entered a door etc. They added a 451M module and it seems to be correct now. He said the newest DEI alarms have an option for normally open door latches.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:40 PM
I was told today that trucks built in Kansas City had them installed at the plant, but the ones from Dearborn were installed later. All the other trucks at my dealer came from Dearborn but mine is coming from KC, maybe because mine was the only one ordered with a remote start.
Originally Posted by fjc
They USED to be installed at the dealer - mine was installed at the factory. Or more correctly, after being built at the factory, it was sent somewhere where the remote start was installed, PRIOR to shipping to the dealer. Mine was the first 2010 that my dealer received that had the remote start already installed.

I'm figuring Ford is making the install more consistent, and perhaps saving money by having one installation company per plant, rather than paying the dealer for an hour or two of labor for the install.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:46 PM
they're installed at some type of modification center near the plants???

Trending Topics

Old 12-08-2009, 06:52 PM
The ones here had to be installed at the dealership if they weren't on the initial order.
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4

Old 12-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Duh!!

Old 12-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Meant to say if it WAS on the initial order!!

Old 12-10-2009, 02:58 PM
fjc
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4

Yep - dealer even showed me the history of my truck, showing it was produced, then was at some "upfitting ramp" for transport, then days later was "received from upfitting" or something similar, then finally released for shipping to the dealer.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:29 AM
Angry Mine Too

FJC: Just had the Ford brand remote start installed by my dealer and have the same issue, i.e. when you open any door the truck shuts off.

You didn't happen to get any technical input from the tecnician did you? Like what settings need to be changed, so I can tell my dealer what to do.

Also I just want to verify your current operation:

1) you start the truck via the remote.
2) you can open any door and the truck keeps running.
3) when you are ready to drive, you place the key in the ingnition and turn the key to ON.
4) you step on the brake and the remote start system is disengaged and you drive away.

and most importantly: your Mykey still works OK.

Correct??

Last edited by MrPhish; 12-11-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:37 PM
My 2010 Lariat Screw had a delivery date of Dec. 14th, and just this week the general manager pulled it up and the delivery date will not show, because I ordered the truck with the factory installed remote start ( at least I thought it was " factory installed ". Anyway with the new MyKey do you now get three keys or just the standard two ???

Old 12-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Only 2 Keys

Just purchased my new 2010 F-150 with MyKey on 12/1/2009 and got 2 keys.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:41 PM
Loo
Hey fjc, as what the other poster said. Do you know how they changed it? My truck dies as soon as I put the key in the ignition.

Quick Reply: Remote Start behavior