2015 - 2020 F-150

Unsealed Bed

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Unsealed Bed

I purchased a new 2015 F150 2.7 V6 and I love the truck except the bed leaks in dust. I installed a topper on the truck to keep the contents of the bed clean and dry. Unfortunately the floor of the bed is not sealed to the side of the bed - you can see a crack all the way around the interior of the bed. When driving on dirt roads the dust leaks in and it is a mess. My dealer tells me that they can install a bedliner to solve the problem. I am not happy with this idea as I believe the dust will continue to find its way in. Have looked at other new ford trucks and they are all the same. Every other truck I have owned has a sealed box with small holes in the front corners for drainage.
Has anyone else with a 2015 had this problem?

Old 01-16-2016, 08:54 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it's dumb too, I posted a thread about it too.

What I did is took silicone caulk and sealed it myself... does a pretty good job.

It's absurd that there is such a large gap, you can literally see down to the road in some spots, which is unacceptable for a lot of uses

Here's my post from a few months back: https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...my-2015-a.html

Last edited by crazynip; 01-16-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:01 PM
It is probably so body repairs are easier, weight reduction, and noise/vibration. There is always a reason.

At least it will drain when the bed is full of debris and junk (after I break this puppy in a little more it is going straight to work). Every truck I have had would have standing water in the bed unless I cleaned it with a freaking scrapper.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by joe t.
It is probably so body repairs are easier, weight reduction, and noise/vibration. There is always a reason.
Those are all BS reasons.

Noise / vibration? Seriously? Weight? Because a bead of caulk weighs so much and affects vibration

At least it will drain when the bed is full of debris and junk (after I break this puppy in a little more it is going straight to work). Every truck I have had would have standing water in the bed unless I cleaned it with a freaking scrapper.
I've never had that problem, and i've has 20+ trucks with my old business and personal. They always drained adequately at the headgate or tailgate and the gap wasnt ridiculous to let in the amount of debris these new trucks do

To me, it's a completely lazy oversight that most of you "pavement drivers" dismiss because you don't ever go offroad

Old 01-17-2016, 10:03 AM
So what was the reason? To save $1 and 1 lb? To help the bed drain? To make repirs easier?

I am thinking I put a bed cover on mine and need to caulk the edges.

My F250 has water sitting in the bed everytime it rains. Same with my old dodges. **** blows to the front under the tool box or whatnot and cloggs the drains.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:30 AM
So what are you doing off road crazynip? Driving up your dirt road to go get tampons or just off roading for fun.

Generally my truck goes to work and stays on a contsruction site all day. That poses a lot of different scenarios on road and off road for our vehicles inluding this one.

I have never had an old business, Ive never had one fail, just this little construction company that keeps moving along building houses, office buildings, roads, and I even have a tree farm. Think I may leave the city and go to my tree farm today to test my off roadiness. Actually I dont like purposley having to cclean under a truck so I will try to stay on the road.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by joe t.
So what are you doing off road crazynip? Driving up your dirt road to go get tampons or just off roading for fun.
I drive quite a bit on dirt and gravel roads, dusty dirt roads at that, that silty dirt crap gets (got, before I sealed it) all up in my topper, and hence all over my gear. I also camp in the bed of the truck sometimes, so that crap got all up in my bed. Which sucked... and was NOT an issue on my previous trucks.

Actually I dont like purposley having to cclean under a truck so I will try to stay on the road.
Which is cool, if it's possible. If you live out in the country where there are more dirt roads than not, then you might see some of our issues. And/Or do a lot of backcountry camping, like me

Old 01-17-2016, 11:45 PM
And to you people that think this is ok, I have yet to see a reason FOR this, to break tradition with what has been done since "styleside" trucks have existed

Quick Reply: Unsealed Bed