2015 - 2020 F-150

Platinum Leather Treatment

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Platinum Leather Treatment

I noticed in the Owner's Manual that there is a specific treatment called out for treating the leather in the King Ranch, but a treatment isn't recommended for the leather in the Platinum. Back in the early 70's I used a leather treatment called Connolly's Hide Food on the leather of my 1973 Volvo 164E. Connolly used to make the leather used in the seats of high end British cars (Rolls Royce, Bentley, Austin Martin, etc.) but I understand they went out of business about 15 years ago. There is now a product called Connolly's Hide Treatment, but I understand it is not like the original Connolly's Hide Food.

Any suggestions for a Platinum leather treatment?

Old 07-02-2015, 11:04 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
The owner's manual should address proper leather care. You can download it while you are waiting for delivery.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_05_2015.pdf

Old 07-03-2015, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by glc
The owner's manual should address proper leather care. You can download it while you are waiting for delivery.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_05_2015.pdf

Thank you glc! I downloaded the Owner's Manual when I ordered my truck, and have been reading it. That's where I saw there was no treatment (only cleaning) for the Platinum leather. There is a treatment recommended for King Ranch leather.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the Platinum and Lariat leather has a coating on it which only needs cleaning. The KR has a higher grade leather that does not come with a coating therefore it can be conditioned/cleaned more in line with the process you are familiar with.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by WoodsTruck
I think the Platinum and Lariat leather has a coating on it which only needs cleaning. The KR has a higher grade leather that does not come with a coating therefore it can be conditioned/cleaned more in line with the process you are familiar with.
Thank you! It makes sense what you said, but I would expect the Platinum to have the highest quality leather.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Takeda
I would expect the Platinum to have the highest quality leather.
I understand your concern, but the KR was sold as the "special package" before the Limited came on the scene.

I suppose a buyer could get a KR and load it up for all the features and the premium leather...

Old 07-04-2015, 11:57 AM
I understand your concern, but the KR was sold as the "special package" before the Limited came on the scene.

I suppose a buyer could get a KR and load it up for all the features and the premium leather...

I considered doing this when I ordered my Platinum, but I liked the wheels on the Platinum better than the KR. However, I appreciate your suggestion.

Trending Topics

Old 07-08-2015, 10:08 PM
Also, does the Platinum come with a 4Lo option, or only 4Hi and 4Auto?

Old 07-08-2015, 10:16 PM
Also, does the Platinum come with a 4Lo option, or only 4Hi and 4Auto?

It has 4Lo also

Old 07-09-2015, 10:30 AM
Thanks. I looked at one a while back it did not have 4Lo so I passed.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:49 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Having just come from a King Ranch, and now in a Platinum, I want to correct one statement in an earlier post. The King Ranch leather is not necessarily of "higher quality" than the Platinum's, it's just different. King Ranch leather does not have the coatings you find on common leathers found in everyday use, such as belts, shoes, handbags, etc. As such, it is very vulnerable to damage from stains. The old Castano leather I had would turn black from contact with skin oils and I ended up coating it with Tandy's Satin Sheen, which kept it looking almost new for the time I had it.

Platinum leather should be more trouble-free, but still needs periodic cleaning. My owners manual suggests mild soap and water. Avoid anything with alcohol, household cleaners, solvents intended for rubber, plastics, and petroleum products.

I suspect Lexol might be fine, but I intend to test it on an out of sight place first. Leather CPR might be OK too, but test it first!

- Jack

Old 07-09-2015, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Having just come from a King Ranch, and now in a Platinum, I want to correct one statement in an earlier post. The King Ranch leather is not necessarily of "higher quality" than the Platinum's, it's just different. King Ranch leather does not have the coatings you find on common leathers found in everyday use, such as belts, shoes, handbags, etc. As such, it is very vulnerable to damage from stains. The old Castano leather I had would turn black from contact with skin oils and I ended up coating it with Tandy's Satin Sheen, which kept it looking almost new for the time I had it.

Platinum leather should be more trouble-free, but still needs periodic cleaning. My owners manual suggests mild soap and water. Avoid anything with alcohol, household cleaners, solvents intended for rubber, plastics, and petroleum products.

I suspect Lexol might be fine, but I intend to test it on an out of sight place first. Leather CPR might be OK too, but test it first!

- Jack

Thank you Jack! I can't wait to get my Platinum, still "Awaiting shipment" this morning.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use Lexol conditioner on my Platinum and it works well. The leather is still in very good shape. I've owned a Lariat, KR and Platinum of various generations. The Platinum leather is nicer than what was in my Lariat but just as easy to take care of. The early KRs with the castiano leather were the nicest but required a good amount of work. Ford quit using it a while back because it was so much work.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by Wookie
I use Lexol conditioner on my Platinum and it works well. The leather is still in very good shape. I've owned a Lariat, KR and Platinum of various generations. The Platinum leather is nicer than what was in my Lariat but just as easy to take care of. The early KRs with the castiano leather were the nicest but required a good amount of work. Ford quit using it a while back because it was so much work.

Thank you for the information!

Old 07-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
Yup! I believe the finish was "aniline", and it would accept a water borne leather dye - meaning it could stain easily. The Chaparral leather in the more recent KRs is "semi-aniline", whatever that means, and doesn't have near the style of the Castano in my opinion.

I loved my KR, but, I'm very happy with my Platinum too!

- Jack

Quick Reply: Platinum Leather Treatment