2015 - 2020 F-150

OEM LED Bed Lights - On Indicator ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM LED Bed Lights - On Indicator ???

Anyone know if there is an light or icon on the instrument cluster that indicates if the LED Bed Lights are on.

I have a Tonneau cover, and its impossible to tell if the lights are on or off unless I open the gate. Hard to do when driving. I am hoping there is an indicator that I have not found yet.

I must have hit the Bed Light on-button by accident when I was reaching for the Fog Light button and those lights were on for a 320 miles trip this week. I noticed the lights were on when I stopped for gas because there was a glow from the gaps in the tonneau.

Come on FORD. If you are going to bestow those tiny, girly-man light switch clusters upon your truck buyers, at least give us some instrument panel feedback that our big fat fingers hit 2 buttons at the same time.

Very frustrated with the entire left side of my 2017 F150 dash board.
Awkward positioned door locks button locations.
Impossible to see light switch cluster.
Tiny, girly man light switch buttons. Dont even try it when wearing gloves.
Power Window swiches get soaked when the door gets opened if its raining.
Bass-Ackwards, tiny girly-man electric? parking brake switch.
UGH!!!!
The 2009-2014 models had the design just perfect. FORDS better ideas for the 2015-7 unfortunately took a big step backwards on this design. Their Ergonomics Team must have retired. :-(

If there is an indicator light somewhere, please let me know.
Sorry for the Rant.
Thanks !!

Old 07-08-2017, 11:00 AM
The indicator is in the bed actually. Take a look and let us know if it is working.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:42 AM
I guess some people have got to bitch about the most minor stuff.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:09 PM
JoeT "The indicator is in the bed actually. Take a look and let us know if it is working."

Let me make sure I understand your helpful reply.
So you are saying: Get out of the truck. Open the tonneau. and look to see if the Light is on. That's Brilliant !! .
What an awesome feature Ford has provided to its Truck owners. I guess an indicator light on the dash or switch would have been a lot to expect. Your idea is much better.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:14 AM
The cab light has an indicator because of safety. Do not understand the big deal about leaving on the bed lights, they turn off automatically anyway.

I don't even know where the led bed light switch is on the dash? I just turn it on in the bed.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I'm fairly sure that the lights will go off after a given amount of time when the truck is not running. I remember that happening to me once so I don't think you have to worry about the battery running down.

It could be that since you were driving that they stay on unless shut off manually.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by ab46501
I'm fairly sure that the lights will go off after a given amount of time when the truck is not running. I remember that happening to me once so I don't think you have to worry about the battery running down.

It could be that since you were driving that they stay on unless shut off manually.
They go off pretty quick unless you leave it unlocked and the puddle lamps on.

I guess my question remains, is there even a switch on the dash, I've never seen it.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:43 AM
Before you purchased your 2017 F150, were you not aware of the different type and location of the switches that you don`t like and find frustrating compared to the as you said "perfect" location of the switches in the 2009-14 F150`s ?

Also, your power widow switches get soaked when you open the door when it rains?

If i`m not mistaken, when you open a car door and it`s raining, many if not all things on the interior portion of the door will get wet and if you keep the door open long enough yes, everything switch on the door will get soaked.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:41 PM
Not like I had a choice

Originally Posted by GABAR
Before you purchased your 2017 F150, were you not aware of the different type and location of the switches that you don`t like and find frustrating compared to the as you said "perfect" location of the switches in the 2009-14 F150`s ?

Yeah...I knew they changed them for the worse when I test drove it. Thats what Ford is selling now. Its not like I had a choice to buy a different option package with different headlight control ***** and parking brake levers. Ford calls it "Standard Equipment".

I believe the F150 is the best truck on the road today, but I think Ford screwed up the design and layout of the dashboard controls on the left side of the steering column by using Tiny Little switch controls. They should be spec-ing out Work Truck Switches and ***** and not the exact same anemic switch clusters they put in the Ford Focus. We are talking Ounces..not pounds, so it had nothing to do with weight reduction.

Ford Design Engineers read these Forums. When FORD designs things we dont like, we need to call it out and tell them.

If all we do is criticize the messenger, we will get more bad ideas down the road. Count on it.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:01 PM
The bed lights automatically turn off after 10 minutes. This according to the manual and actual experience.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:02 PM
No indicator light, but there are 2 switches. Video is from `15, but still works the same on my `17 XLT:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...9xrQQFbkUn9wpC

Old 10-13-2017, 08:01 AM
I just found out that there is a second led bed lamps control switch IN the bad. You don't need to turn them on from inside the cab, you can control them from the switch on the left side near the left LED light