2015 - 2020 F-150

Heavy Payload Package Springs, part number?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heavy Payload Package Springs, part number?

I have a 15 lariat fx4 super crew 5.5 bed 3.5eco 3.55 gears max tow, loaded out and the payload is around 1650lbs. I am thinking about getting a travel trailer with advertised tounge weight at close to 800lbs but people are saying that trailer is more like 1100.

Long story short I have this truck and the 20k difference it would take to get into a gasser F250 is not what I want to do.

Ive had timbrens on an old truck (Tundra) and they bounced a lot, I imagine airbags would too.

So here is my math, 1100lbs tongue, transfer flow 40 gallon tank 300lbs, 200lbs cargo, and no more left for passengers.

Ive already blown my rear shocks. So I am thinking hellwig sway bar, bilstein hd yellow/blue shocks, and HD payload springs.

Will springs off the HD payload package work? I see they come on the 6.5 ft bed trucks only.

As far as weights are concerned I will stay within the axle and tire limits and run this truck till the extended warranty is out.

Thoughts?

Old 06-05-2017, 10:35 PM
The trailer I am looking at is an Airstream classic 30.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:30 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
There is nothing you can do that will increase the payload rating legally.

There is a lot more to the HD Payload package than just the rear springs. It has a larger axle and 7 lug wheels.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:08 AM
I thought the 4x4 3.5 eco with the max tow package came with everything the hd payload has except an additional transmission cooler, wheels, and springs. Guess they come with the 36 gallon tank to (stupid they put 23 gallon tanks in trucks advertised as 'max tow').

The issue is they come only in 6.5 ft bed super crew, but I think the extended cab 6.5 bed is available as well and regular cabs.

Heck I don't even know if the springs are actually different part numbers from what I have. Seeing I may have 800lbs more options you can't get on the HD maybe? Did they actually make different springs? Basically my truck has the pano roof, some electronic extras, 20inch wheels but shorter bed, and don't see that weighing 800lbs more. Comparing yellow door stickers I have seen online compared to my truck.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:11 PM
I thought I would get more responses on this.

If I get the trailer maybe I can guinea pig.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:20 AM
Heavy Duty Payload no longer has 7 lug wheels, they are 6 lug Heavy Duty Payload Pkg wheels. I don't think the springs will do much. I'd start with something easier like E rated tires and Bilstein shocks and maybe the sway bar.

Last edited by Rambo; 06-14-2017 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:12 AM
HDP package also has a thicker frame.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The factory shocks are junk, replacing them with better ones is money well spent.

Legally, there's nothing you can do to change what the yellow sticker says. Practically, you can do some stuff that will help the truck with a big load. For the springs I would look at an online parts catalog like at Tasca or now Ford has it on their website too. This will give you some information to get you started in comparing the two. If you find they are different than what you already have. I wouldn't be above going to the dealership with a tape measure to compare spring lengths on a truck on the lot with the HDP to make sure they will actually fit.

Forget throwing load range E tires on it to help. They are heavy and will work against you because of their weight. Load range C are already rated for more than your axle, a lot of XL rated tires are too. Check the rating of the ones you already have, they might be about all you really need.

​​​​​​Careful loading of your trailer will also help you. Try to keep some of the cargo weight off the tongue and keep the trailer balanced. Traveling with your water tanks empty will really help too.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:00 PM
Well I missed the travel trailer and since bought a piece of real estate instead.

I agree on the E heavy duty tires, never want those again on a 1/2 ton in my experience. Screws up the truck.

I need new shocks. Gonna mention it to the dealer when in for an oil change. Any arguments and I will just get them myself.