2009 - 2014 F-150

Power steering help

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering help

I started my 2010 F-150 5.4L this morning (first freeze of the season) and my power steering return line blew off the top of my condenser. I recently changed my condenser (3 months ago) and thought maybe i did a poor job reattaching the line, so i put the hose back on and clamped it, then restarted my truck and after running for a few minutes to warm up, the same line busted. And continued to spray out the power steering fluid. Before i put a new line on Im concerned that there is an issue causing pressure to build on that line, because to my knowledge there shouldnt be that much pressure in that line. Thanks for any help

Old 11-12-2019, 04:43 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Condenser? You mean cooler? Maybe it has a blockage.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is pressure there, nothing like the high pressure side coming out of the pump, but even the returning oil is under some pressure. When cold, the oil is thicker and causes higher pressure. Is the line you put on there factory or just a common hose? While it doesn't need high pressure crimps, it does need to be at least fabric reinforced and clamped properly or it will let go.

Quick Reply: Power steering help