2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2013 F150 won't start, most electrical working

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2013 F150 won't start, most electrical working

Hi everyone! Just joined this site and hoping someone can give me some advice. I've searched as much as I could, but can't seem to find my exact issues and a solution for them.

I have a 2013 F150 (115,XXX mi, lariat, 2wd, if that matters) that currently won't start. Just a couple days ago, it died when I turned the wheel all the way to the left leaving a parking space. Started right back up with no hesitation. Got it home, and when I tried to unlock it an hour or so later with the key fob, it wouldn't. Didn't think much of it and unlocked manually. They anti-theft started counting down, I stuck the key in to start it, and nothing.... great, alarm starts going off with nothing I can do about it. After about 20 seconds, it seemed it had enough juice for me to hit the unblock button on the key fob to turn off the alarm. Tried to start again, nothing (doesn't even make a sound like it's trying). So at this point: key fob doesn't work, truck won't start, rest of electrical seems fine.

I pop the hood to look for anything obvious, but don't see anything. Battery terminals have some corrosion, so I get some baking soda solution and clean them. Try to start again, nothing. I then take off the connections to the battery to try to reset everything. Try key fob, and it works. Try to start truck, and it starts! I get in ready to leave, and notice that the ac/heat are not coming on, the outside temperature shows "--" on the display, and I do not hear the cooling fans kicking on in their typically annoying fashion. I don't think much of this because these symptoms happened once before during hurricane Harvey. That time, the problem resolved itself after a few days of dry weather (we just had several days of rain last week). I did run it by my mechanic anyway that time who said it may have just been some moisture that seeped in somewhere and caused the issues.

I've given it a few days, it was still starting but with no ac/ heat, key fob not working, temperature not displaying, and fans not kicking on. Everything else is like normal. Today more of the same, but it did die on me at a stop light - turned right back on. Drove a couple more times then stopped at a friend's place, got to leaving, but my truck wouldn't start again.

Tried disconnecting battery again, nothing. Checked all the fuses mentioned in this and every forum on the internet - nothing. Left to get my jumper cables, came back about try 40 minutes later. Tried again, and the anti- theft alarm went off. Thought it was a good sign, disconnected/reconnected battery, then nothing. Tried jumping, nothing - doesn't even sound like it was trying. Pre-jump, it did sound like a little clicking from the passenger area fuse box. During the jump, nothing.

From other forums, I'm leaning towards: corroded cables, fried starter relay, dead starter. Battery is only a year or so old, and tested at 60% when I put it on a charger. Also, all the other electrical works as normal, so don't think it's the battery.

Help! Any suggestions before I start spending money on needless items, lol? I took out the relay in the number 2 slot but not sure if it's something O'Reilly's/Advanced/Auto Zone can test. Was just going to buy a new one and try.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:22 AM
Confirmed battery is good; had tested at O'Rielly's and Advanced. Going to take the starter off and have it tested next.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I would look at your fuse box for water intake or corrosion.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:46 PM
Thanks. Both fuse boxes are clean and dry.

I've taken the starter off (pain in the butt), and had it bench tested at O'Rielly's and Auto Zone - tested bad. Just picked up a new one. I'll install and update tomorrow.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Well, that's a start. Hopefully the new one will fix your problems.

Old 01-22-2021, 12:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im curious what happened just the starter issue ?

Old 01-22-2021, 09:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation

a41schneider - Im curious what happened just the starter issue ?
*HEADS-UP* The thread is 2+years old and kingoftomball's last login was 2+years ago.

Old 01-26-2021, 01:33 PM
Had a similar issue with my 2013 FX4 - check out the underside of your fuse box. I found out the hard way that the local rodents have a taste for that Chinese wiring, and they can get really cozy in that space.

Quick Reply: 2013 F150 won't start, most electrical working