2009 - 2014 F-150

What tranny cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What tranny cooler?

I have a 2010 xtr sc with the 4.6. It didn't come with a tow package however I've put on a hitch and a trailer brake controller.

The next thing to put on would be a tranny cooler. I don't know where to begin to choose one but what I do know is that I want a big one!

Towing my tent trailer there are times where the temp rises (I know this is normal) however I would feel better on trips with the family if that temp gauge didn't move.

So basically what I'm asking is for some recommendations of the biggest cooler I can fit in there.

I was looking at this one http://www.bmracing.com/products/70274-oil-cooler-supercooler-large-npt-fittings-plate-type-black/

However I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!

Old 01-04-2016, 11:31 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
That should just about be enough cooler to destroy your transmission. It doesn't say anything about being thermostatic controlled. If you don't control the heat AND the cold, you can destroy the transmission. ATF should mirror engine temps or about 195F. If you run it cooler the fluid doesn't cook off the moisture and the transmission will fail. I believe the ATF in your rig is also monitored by the ECM and won't let the transmission go into lockup until the fluid is somewhere around 140F. My 04 4.6 was like that. It also did not have a cooling line to the radiator. It had it's own radiator in front and at the low point of the coolant radiator. Yours could be different but the fluid must maintain heat to work correctly. Look to Hayden for the right one.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why not add a factory trans cooler? You know it will fit and work properly.

EDIT: How hot is the fluid getting right now? The fluid in your tranny has a lot higher temp rating than you might think, the new stuff is perfectly happy at 250*F where the old stuff would be maxed out. The old idea of "colder is always better" isn't true on newer vehicles. The new trannys are designed to run at a higher operating temperature to make the fluid flow better and reduce internal friction.

Last edited by Wookie; 01-05-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:53 AM
A factory cooler is definetly an option. I'm obviously not versed in all the specifics hense why I'm asking this question on this forum.

The only reason I was thinking of a aftermarket larger cooler option is because I'm under the impression that your trans fluid can't be too cold. However after reading the first reply it seems like it can be???

Like I said in my original post in open to options. If there's a better aftermarket option great! If the oem cooler will be sufficient then great!

On a side note. I'm pretty sure that because my truck didn't come with a tow package out of the factory the radiator is a bit smaller also. So this might be a reason to go with a larger aftermarket cooler.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:17 PM
The factory cooler will be more than enough to cool off the tranny for anything your 4.6L should be pulling. The same trans is behind the MaxTow EB and 6.2L trucks. Both of those engines are rated for a LOT more than you are. I have the digital gauge in my truck and the highest I've seen the trans temp was 210ish vs. a normal 195-200. This was pulling a camper at 70MPH on a 90+* day up the Rockies at the end of a really long grade that peaked near 11,000 feet. If that only adds 10* to the fluid there's not many situations where it can't get the job done.

Really, you need to check what your temps are before you worry.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:30 PM
I'm not exactly sure what the temp is cause my stock gauge in the dash doesn't show a numerical value rather a range.

It has the normal operating zone, then as it rises it goes into a yellow caution zone then into a red zone.

I've been into the yellow and petty close to the red a handful of times.

I'm aware of my towing capacity and I'm always well below the 5000lbs. It has gotten into these ranges on longer steep accents and one time when I was climbing a snowy logging road while loaded in 4x4 for an extended period.

If you guys think a stock cooler will keep these temps down to normal operating temps while towing then great! However if the temp is still gonna rise up into the yellow and red why not put something bigger and better in?

Old 01-05-2016, 03:52 PM
First thing I would do is clean out your radiator and A/C condenser. A lot of bugs and junk can build up there and block the airflow. This greatly hampers the truck's ability to cool itself.

The problem with a huge cooler is that it more than likely won't have the proper thermostat in it. Without that your trans won't get up to the proper operating temperature and be damaged. That's why I suggested the factory one. It will integrate very well, won't damage your tranny and provides enough cooling to keep the largest applications happy. If you're heating things up with that cooler then you have other problems to address.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:39 PM
Ok then that's what I'll do. I originally was gonna stick with oem parts but then got the aftermarket thing on my head. Real easy install too!

Old 01-05-2016, 06:33 PM
You want the best? Look no further than this one. It will have none of the issues mentioned above and will out cool the factory cooler by a huge margin.

Mocal laminar flow heat oil/water heat exchanger.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:49 PM
****update*****

So I've ruled out an oem cooler. $1000 for one to be installed by the dealer! Not gonna happen.

I'm gonna put in an aftermarket one. I'd like some suggestions of one that is recommended.

Etrailer reccomend a this unit which is rated at 22,000btu

https://www.etrailer.com/question-42093.html

It seems pretty straight forward to put in. I may attempt it myself with help from a mechanic buddy. My biggest concern was checking the trans fluid and adding it after the install. After some research it seems like it's not to difficult, just need to get under the truck.

In response to a previous post in this thread regarding the thermostat in the cooler working in conjunction with the transmission.

After researching it seems like there is no thermostat in the auxiliary cooler rather it's in the transmission. So my understanding is that the size of the aux cooler doesn't matter because the thermostat in the transmission is what activates the cooling process. With a larger cooler you will just get a faster cool and that thermostat will close faster. Hopefully you follow me!

Can anyone comment on that?

Old 01-22-2016, 04:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I have read the 2004 and up F150 transmissions have a thermostat in them my 2003 does not. Everything I have ever seen including tips from trans rebuilders points to better cooling as a win for your trans. Pretty much the opposite of what Labnerd posted. I ended up putting a trans cooler out of an F250 SD in my truck because I tow a TT in the summer. I bought an external thermostat, that would stay closed until the temps hit 180 degrees F but again with everything I read I never put it in. I use a digital trans temp gauge to monitor the trans temps and in the winter time they do hover around 100 degrees. That is on the low side but I have no issues. It will lockup and it will go into overdrive just fine. It has been in there for 6 years I think. If you do add another cooler don't mount it through the rad with those crappy plastic ties like the one in your link. You will just wear a hole in your rad with those. Fab up a bracket and mount it to the body of the truck in front of your rad. If possible mount it in the path of your rad fan as that will help suck air through the trans cooler. IMO get a decent sized one. There are a couple of pretty knowledgeable transmission builders (or there used to be) in the transmission section of the forum too if you have any other questions.

Last edited by grizzstang; 01-22-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:12 PM
glc
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
Everything I have ever seen including tips from trans rebuilders points to better cooling as a win for your trans. Pretty much the opposite of what Labnerd posted.
That is NOT the case with the 6R80 and Mercon LV fluid, it needs to be kept in a certain range, it doesn't like running too cool. It needs a thermostat.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^Which won't be a problem with an internal thermostat. I would still get a good sized cooler since he is towing with his truck, then in the summer heat when he needs that extra cooling it is there.

From the 6R80 service manual:

This transmission is equipped with an internal thermal bypass located in the case. This internal thermal bypass valve will shut off transmission fluid flowing to the transmission fluid cooler if the transmission fluid temperature falls below normal operating temperature. Refer to Transmission Fluid Level Check in this section.

Last edited by grizzstang; 01-25-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:44 PM
glc
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
Fine - but I was more taking issue with you saying that Labnerd was incorrect. When it comes to lubricants, I trust him implicitly.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:49 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Your truck does not have a thermostat on the transmission. It has a thermally activated by-pass valve that is supposed to open some where around 140-160F. This is so the fluid gets to the correct viscosity so the transmission works right. This by-pass valve is about as accurate as a 12 ga shotgun at 100 yards. Most will open at 90-100F which is far too cool and the transmission life will suffer. Even with the by-pass valve, you need to know that at full open, only 90%max of the fluid is going thru the cooler. The reason that 10% is not being cooled is to prevent thermal shock to the parts when hot parts are hit by cold fluid. You can put the cooler with no thermostat on it. Afterall, yer the one making the payments and yer the one that will be replacing the transmission. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: What tranny cooler?