2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2010 FX4 starting to rust. Anyone deal with Ford for repair?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 06:31 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Western111
You should have it. Sent it about two minutes after I replied.
Hey Western111,

That was quick! Thanks for letting me know.

Todd

Old 09-22-2015, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in an area with alot of salt use and my 2010 FX4 supercrew is rusting as well.
The doors are fine, but if you look under the cab, under the bed, in the engine bay there's rust all over. All the seems of the frame and body show rust.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:33 PM
I took the truck back by Ken Wilson Ford today and they were great to work with. They took multiple pictures of both cab and then did a "tape test" where they put a piece of tape over the affected area and removed it. A piece of the truck came off with the tape so now it looks much worse than before and there is definitely rust through on both corners. The approval to fix it is in Ford's hands now so we shall see if they stand behind it and cover the repairs. I will report back once I hear something from the Dealer/Ford.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:05 PM
So I got a reply a lot faster than I figured I would but to say Im pissed would be an understatement. The warranty apparently started on Sept 9 2010 and they looked at that and said the corrosion warranty expired on Sept 9 2015. I noticed the corrosion about a month ago but researched it before I did anything about it then had work around my work schedule and also had to make a few trips to the dealer before I finally got it looked at today. So basically what it comes down to is Ford wont stand behind it because it is a couple of weeks past the date when the reality is the rust didn't pop up two weeks ago it has been there for a lot longer. Guess I will call customer service and see what they say and from there I guess I will discuss it with my attorney. I could understand denying it if I was way past the date but two weeks is a bit ridiculous.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:13 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I got a reply a lot faster than I figured I would but to say Im pissed would be an understatement. The warranty apparently started on Sept 9 2010 and they looked at that and said the corrosion warranty expired on Sept 9 2015. I noticed the corrosion about a month ago but researched it before I did anything about it then had work around my work schedule and also had to make a few trips to the dealer before I finally got it looked at today. So basically what it comes down to is Ford wont stand behind it because it is a couple of weeks past the date when the reality is the rust didn't pop up two weeks ago it has been there for a lot longer. Guess I will call customer service and see what they say and from there I guess I will discuss it with my attorney. I could understand denying it if I was way past the date but two weeks is a bit ridiculous.
Hi Western111,

I'm getting this escalated to your Regional CSM as we speak; I'll reply to your DM shortly. Please know I'm able to assist via social media once you've retained the services of an attorney.

Todd

Old 09-29-2015, 04:49 PM
I thought I would come and give everyone a little update after speaking with the regional CSM for Ford on this issue. Basically my week of trying to get her to call me back (left three voice messages) resulted in a call a few minutes ago. That resulted in her admitting that she had no authority to help me with the warranty issue and saying that she understood that the corrosion was there before the warranty expired but it was "Black and White" and because I did not purchase a extended service plan (which was not even possible due to the fact that the truck did not come from a Ford dealer) they could not fix the truck under the corrosion warranty. She said the only thing that she could offer was to work with the dealer to get my truck repaired at a reduced cost to me. I asked why the dealer would do that for them since it was nothing more than money out of their pocket to do it at a reduced cost and the reply that I got was she was there to work with me and the dealer to see if we could get that done. Like I told her on the phone this all seems shady that she could get a dealer to loose money on a repair just because Ford asked them to do it. It sounds like a horrible business model to loose money on repairs without Ford kicking something back in their pockets.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:22 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Why am I not surprised? Regardless of the merits or YOUR case; CSM = **** on a boar hog. In "as useless as". Frankly I've never found a CSM from any car manufacturer that had the power to do anything for the customer. I called one from Ford several times to ask a technical question and they ALWAYS had to go ask someone else! I wonder if they get any training at all?

Old 09-29-2015, 07:48 PM
Arrow

I've had several different manufacturers including Ford take care of manufacturing or part defects slightly outside of warranty. Usually the dealer has the ability to do this up to 2 times (I know someone in the biz). Unfortunately corrosion issues seem to be the exception. I've had Ford and Acura tell me to pound salt!
I feel for you on your issue. Extremely frustrating. So much so that I wouldn't by another Acura for my wife and would be hesitant to buy any truck from a salt state more than 2 years old. Once the corrosion inhibitors have chemically converted, rust spreads like wildfire. If only I lived in the south I could drive year round care free!!

Old 09-29-2015, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by white elephant
I've had several different manufacturers including Ford take care of manufacturing or part defects slightly outside of warranty. Usually the dealer has the ability to do this up to 2 times (I know someone in the biz). Unfortunately corrosion issues seem to be the exception. I've had Ford and Acura tell me to pound salt!
I feel for you on your issue. Extremely frustrating. So much so that I wouldn't by another Acura for my wife and would be hesitant to buy any truck from a salt state more than 2 years old. Once the corrosion inhibitors have chemically converted, rust spreads like wildfire. If only I lived in the south I could drive year round care free!!
I do live in the south but that still hasn't stopped my truck from rusting. I found a similar complaint on the Ford Enthusiasts Forum and when they took his truck apart they found the drain lines were installed incorrectly from the factory and when the truck was parked on a incline the water pooled in the back corners of the cab and could not drain. My driveway is on a slight incline so I am sure this is my issue as well but Ford is doing nothing to help beyond offering a "reduced" cost to me to fix it which from reading other complaints the estimates to repair are running in the $5000-6500 range to repair. I am only days past the 5yr corrosion warranty yet Ford refuses to do much about it.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:09 AM
I do live in the south but that still hasn't stopped my truck from rusting. I found a similar complaint on the Ford Enthusiasts Forum and when they took his truck apart they found the drain lines were installed incorrectly from the factory and when the truck was parked on a incline the water pooled in the back corners of the cab and could not drain. My driveway is on a slight incline so I am sure this is my issue as well but Ford is doing nothing to help beyond offering a "reduced" cost to me to fix it which from reading other complaints the estimates to repair are running in the $5000-6500 range to repair. I am only days past the 5yr corrosion warranty yet Ford refuses to do much about it.
Follow the steps Ford has suggested. Get the estimate, and be firm, yet professional. You likely won't get to zero out of pocket, but way better than full price.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:45 AM
u can't let them play the game manager is not here. next time get so irrate that a claim is surely written up. Someone nasty to deal with will fix their laziness quick. You might of made the warranty period in time.

Last edited by Need4racin; 10-01-2015 at 01:31 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:50 PM
Just to update everyone... I went and had a estimated completed for the repair work and was quoted $1844.44 for the repair. Spoke to my regional CSM again as she told me that she could work with the dealer to get a lower repair cost if I got the estimate. She then tells me the $1844 I was quoted was discounted which was a complete lie as the hourly rates on the estimate were the same as the hourly rates on a previous quote I got to repair a scratch on my tail gate. So out of all of this I've learned Ford does not stand behind their product, their CSM's appear to be liars, and the folks that post here are nothing more than a dog and pony show because all they can do is refer us to the CSM. Looks like the search for a new truck that doesn't say Ford on it is about to start.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:18 PM
Get an extended service plan....problem solved.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by RSTHD150
Get an extended service plan....problem solved.
How does that solve my problem? It's pre-existing to the service plan so I seriously doubt Ford is going to cover it if I buy the plan.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:41 PM
If no one has inspected the truck for rust you can purchase a plan and take it to a dealer who is not familiar with it. It shouldn't matter, the corrosion has been there well before the warranty expired, being that you purchased a esp they should only charge you the co pay which is $50-$100 depending on what plan you get. You can always purchase a esp at any point during your ownership.

Quick Reply: 2010 FX4 starting to rust. Anyone deal with Ford for repair?