2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wrench Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrench Light

Today I was in the process of wiring up a backup camera on my 2014 with a 5.0 when the wrench light showed up on my dash. Truck runs fine-just the light is on. As far as I had gotten was splicing the power and ground wires into the 7 pin harness for the trailer connection. It was only plugged into the camera and not ran forward to the cab yet. I am not sure if simply splicing into the reverse and ground on these wires could have set this off or if it is a completely different problem. The truck is 2 month old, has 2k miles on it, and has already had to have the alternator replaced so I have no idea if I did something or the truck is just a problem child. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:29 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by annapolis76eb
Today I was in the process of wiring up a backup camera on my 2014 with a 5.0 when the wrench light showed up on my dash. Truck runs fine-just the light is on. As far as I had gotten was splicing the power and ground wires into the 7 pin harness for the trailer connection. It was only plugged into the camera and not ran forward to the cab yet. I am not sure if simply splicing into the reverse and ground on these wires could have set this off or if it is a completely different problem. The truck is 2 month old, has 2k miles on it, and has already had to have the alternator replaced so I have no idea if I did something or the truck is just a problem child. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Have warranty - should use it.

Need the code(s) read to determine cause.

Off to the dealer fer you....

MGD

Old 01-10-2015, 07:42 PM
Dropping it off Monday at the dealer. Just hoped someone knew something to give me an idea what the problem might be. Have had the truck two months and dealer has already had it 3 days. Not wanting to give my truck up again.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:47 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Well, if you don't want to give it up you could at least stop by Autozone and get the codes read........

No codes, not a clue.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:27 PM
It isnt throwing any codes. I have a code reader and that is the first thing I checked.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by annapolis76eb
It isnt throwing any codes. I have a code reader and that is the first thing I checked.
There are stored codes - yer reader just can't pull them ( not capable):

From yer owner's Guide:

Yer just wasting yer ( and our ) time here - a Dealer visit was recommended from the get-go. That recommendation hasn't changed.

Yer reluctance in leveraging yer warranty on a brand-new truck makes zero sense....you have a hard fault and it needs to be addressed ASAP.

MGD

Old 01-11-2015, 08:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Un-hook your battery for a few minutes and see if it resets, this happened to me some years back when trying to fix some trailer lights.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Dog'em
Un-hook your battery for a few minutes and see if it resets, this happened to me some years back when trying to fix some trailer lights.
1. It's a 2014, not a 2005.

2. There is No Way that a possible trailer wiring fault is going to trigger this specific indicator ( remember - it's not the CEL light ). Completely different, separately fused circuits.

3. Clearing this indicator is the LAST thing the OP should do on a Warrantied truck - the Dealer will state 'no fault found' and send him on his way - more wasted time.

4. You NEED the indicator to stay illuminated so you can legitimately harass the Service Writer

MGD

Old 01-12-2015, 06:52 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
There are stored codes - yer reader just can't pull them ( not capable):

From yer owner's Guide:

Yer just wasting yer ( and our ) time here - a Dealer visit was recommended from the get-go. That recommendation hasn't changed.

Yer reluctance in leveraging yer warranty on a brand-new truck makes zero sense....you have a hard fault and it needs to be addressed ASAP.

MGD
I dropped it at the dealer last night. Yes I am reluctant to send my truck to the dealer if my problem was something simple that could easily be corrected at home. That is why I posted here asking if anyone had this problem previously and knew whether it had to go in to the dealer. I don't have time to drop my truck off for repairs every week.

Also, i am pretty sure the reverse lights do run on the same circuit as a power train or 4X4 module. I think it is fuse 55 but I don't have my manual in front of me.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:43 PM
I wanted to follow up on this issue in case it can help someone else out in the future. The cause for my battery light and wrench light was a wire in the alt harness rubbing and shorting out on the alternator. The way the wires came off of the alternator led to them rubbing on the alternator case and shorting out. My dealer had another 2014 come in the same week with an identical problem. The dealer spoke with Ford and it looks like this was a production flaw that is starting to pop up. Hopefully only a few of us have been impacted by this, but if you get a battery or wrench light and blow fuse 45, I recommend you have the dealer check the alt wiring harness.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:35 AM
Exclamation 2017 F-150 Wrench light

12,600 miles - last evening the wrench light came on, it's at the dealer now to be checked out. Have been told it could be the throttle control to reading on line a list of issues. Not sure if the 2 are related - had windshield replaced to find out wasn't sealed correctly - have water in the driver's side carpeting. Apparently ran down from the driver's side corner. Windshield company took care (I hope) of that last evening. Now the wrench!

Old 12-20-2018, 02:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb

Tom Reiner - 12,600 miles - last evening the wrench light came on, it's at the dealer now to be checked out. Have been told it could be the throttle control to reading on line a list of issues. Not sure if the 2 are related - had windshield replaced to find out wasn't sealed correctly - have water in the driver's side carpeting. Apparently ran down from the driver's side corner. Windshield company took care (I hope) of that last evening. Now the wrench!
This is the 2009 - 2014 F-150 section.

2015 - 2019 F-150 ««« -click-

Regardless of the section ... Need DTC(s) (Diagnostic Trouble Code(s)).

Quick Reply: Wrench Light