2009 - 2014 F-150

FYI Update on 2013 9.8 MPG

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnmanut
Labnerd; you sound as if you know this (very knowledgeable), thankyou that does help.Do you know,do they have to re-flash the comp.for this motor or does it use the original. Part of the original complaints with this was poor mpg, knocking and clattering. like very loud injector clatter,only much worse. They kept saying everything was normal until they found metal in the oil. I'm hoping they have to do a reflash and this will help mpg. I am very car savy as I restore and rebuild old cars. I know very little about these new fangled things. Thanks

I hope what I am saying is helpful. It seems to me that a lot has to happen before a reflash and I am guessing that will be part of it. The symptoms you describe seem to have revealed the cause, which is something serious with the motor. It may or may not need the reflash in my opinion.

I like your last two sentences: you are "very savy" and you go on "I know very little..." I am totally joking and at the same time I hope they get your truck back on the road and working really well, really fast.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
I'm not the one that said that, buddy, that was Dewser. Toolbag is (was) a member on here that got banned, more than a few times. The reference to toolbag was 99% for the enjoyment of those that know who he is, and even I wasn't around for the vast majority of his wonderful toolbag-edness.

I think there is a lot more to it than that, but as long as were "buddies", I'll just let it go at that.

Please note that I don't know who said it or who repeated it or the history of it. I wrote what I wrote based on what I knew. If you or anyone else who posted this knew the history of this, then you should know that I wouldn't know.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
mtnmanut, there's not a backlog of EB engines as such. As these engines are programmed to run thru the line, they are assigned an assembly number that corresponds to a unit to be made, like a King Ranch truck. A replacement engine requires a separate number to be inserted in the line. Yours will be a factory fresh engine made for your truck, not something they just pulled off of a line. There is no major catastrophic failures with any of the EB engines. The reason the dealer has been told to stop the tear down is that Ford wants its engineers to tear the engine down see why exactly your engine failed. They can't do that with a dealer tech doing the tear down. Consider your trashed engine as a donor to the future of the EB family of engines. The more Ford gets to see trashed engines the more improvements they can make so this doesn't happen again. I know, a car company that gives a damn about the quality of its products- how unusual is that?
I see no reason for a particular engine being assigned to a particular truck. A King Ranch ecoboost is the same as a XLT ecoboost. The difference would be the wiring harness, and other electronics. If you are just referring to each truck having a particular engine because the build sheet has them matching up with serial and VIN number then that's a different story and true.
I imagine that demand is so high that Ford is putting every eco built in a new truck going out the door and hasn't had any down turns to give them time to build up some inventory.
Having said that, Ford Racing will sell you a crate engine.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=22829

Old 12-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Labnerd
mtnmanut, there's not a backlog of EB engines as such. As these engines are programmed to run thru the line, they are assigned an assembly number that corresponds to a unit to be made, like a King Ranch truck. A replacement engine requires a separate number to be inserted in the line. Yours will be a factory fresh engine made for your truck, not something they just pulled off of a line. There is no major catastrophic failures with any of the EB engines. The reason the dealer has been told to stop the tear down is that Ford wants its engineers to tear the engine down see why exactly your engine failed. They can't do that with a dealer tech doing the tear down. Consider your trashed engine as a donor to the future of the EB family of engines. The more Ford gets to see trashed engines the more improvements they can make so this doesn't happen again. I know, a car company that gives a damn about the quality of its products- how unusual is that?
Engines aren't made for a specific truck. They are all made the same, and engine A coming down the line is the same as engine B. Ford won't make an engine specifically for his truck, it will be a standard EB engine.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Engines aren't made for a specific truck. They are all made the same, and engine A coming down the line is the same as engine B. Ford won't make an engine specifically for his truck, it will be a standard EB engine.
I would bet money Labnerd is dead on. Hes about the only one i take seriously when he answers a question on this forum. Im sure he will back up his statement.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
I would bet money Labnerd is dead on. Hes about the only one i take seriously when he answers a question on this forum. Im sure he will back up his statement.
Ford does as close to JIT (just in time) production as possible, but when that engine is coming down the assembly line, they don't have an exact plan for which vehicle it's going in. They know if it's an F150 or a SHO or an Explorer since the engines are different, but they don't have an exact plan for the very truck that that specific engine goes in.

Now, once it gets to the truck plant and goes into the prep area, it will be assigned a truck VIN, and it will get pulled when that truck gets sent down the line. But as far as when the engine is produced, nope.

Think back to when the 6.0L diesel went out of production in late '06. Ford built thousands ahead of time so that they could put them in vans for ambulance use well after the stricter emissions went into effect. When those engines were built, Ford didn't know specifically which van they were going in.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Ford does as close to JIT (just in time) production as possible, but when that engine is coming down the assembly line, they don't have an exact plan for which vehicle it's going in. They know if it's an F150 or a SHO or an Explorer since the engines are different, but they don't have an exact plan for the very truck that that specific engine goes in.

Now, once it gets to the truck plant and goes into the prep area, it will be assigned a truck VIN, and it will get pulled when that truck gets sent down the line. But as far as when the engine is produced, nope.

Think back to when the 6.0L diesel went out of production in late '06. Ford built thousands ahead of time so that they could put them in vans for ambulance use well after the stricter emissions went into effect. When those engines were built, Ford didn't know specifically which van they were going in.
I think you guys are talking about two separate plants. It was my understanding the long blocks were assembled en-mass and shipped, as you are describing. But once they get to the final assembly in the US (since 1/4 of the worlds long blocks are built in the UK for ford) then they ARE slated for the truck coming down the line.

They may have a long block for him but it may not have any turbos. haha.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what a long block on an EB includes.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Suspended
I am really looking forward to labnerd answering my questions.

Last edited by RexReid; 12-05-2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: screwed up
Old 12-05-2013, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
While I can't think of a good reason for Ford making engines specifically for each truck, I agree that Labnerd is probably right, just going off his past statements. Again one of the few that always seems to know, where others merely guess.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by the_cosworth
I think you guys are talking about two separate plants. It was my understanding the long blocks were assembled en-mass and shipped, as you are describing. But once they get to the final assembly in the US (since 1/4 of the worlds long blocks are built in the UK for ford) then they ARE slated for the truck coming down the line.

They may have a long block for him but it may not have any turbos. haha.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what a long block on an EB includes.
The EB 3.5 is made in the good ole USofA!

Old 12-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The EB 3.5 is made in the good ole USofA!
Yep, about 5 miles from my house, at Cleveland engine plant #1

Old 12-06-2013, 11:38 AM
glc
Received 768 Likes on 709 Posts
Originally Posted by RexReid
I am really looking forward to labnerd answering my questions.
He's not going to tell you who he works for, he's not allowed to. However, he has proven to all of us that he knows what he's talking about. Just let it lie.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by glc
He's not going to tell you who he works for, he's not allowed to. However, he has proven to all of us that he knows what he's talking about. Just let it lie.

glc,

I am confused. In order to have all of these details one would almost need to be a sup at a plant or a corporate executive for Ford. Ford employees are required to identify themselves. There are other options I suppose...he has a Ford executive policy and procedure manual??????

Old 12-06-2013, 10:20 PM
glc
Received 768 Likes on 709 Posts
He does not work for Ford that I know of but he is heavily involved in the industry. As I said, just let it lie.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by glc
just let it lie.
x2. He probably won't even post again because he doesn't have to, to satisfy anyone else. He shared his knowledge and insight and now he's done.

Quick Reply: FYI Update on 2013 9.8 MPG