2009 - 2014 F-150

FYI Update on 2013 9.8 MPG

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI Update on 2013 9.8 MPG

Some of you may remember previous posts of 9.8 mpg and a loud clattering and knocking. The dealer said all was normal. Oh ya, this is a 2013 supercrew 4x4 lariat ecoboost. After weeks of listening to this and buying way more gas then I should,i called ford,and staged my complaints. 2 days later a call from the district manager. She made arrangements for the dealer to actually look at it,not just set behind a desk and say its normal. Low and behold, after 2 days in the shop they came to the conclusion that the addition of a lot of metal in the oil was not normal,and ford authorized a new long block. that was 3 weeks ago.Still waiting for the motor to come in. eco motors are on back order. Only reasons I can think of for a motor to be on back order would be that so many are falling apart and there replacing that many or new demand is so high there all going to new production,they don't say which it is.So,if the motor ever comes in,it doesn't clatter and knock, and gets normal mpg.I'll have a brand new truck with 2000 miles. Or a brand new used truck with 2000 miles.Some of you will say I would have made them give me a new truck,me too, but it isn't that easy. If anyone knows the magic trick to get a new truck out of them i'd love to here it.::surre nder:

Old 12-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you came to a resolution with the dealer

Here come the ecoboost and 5.0 people hold tight!!

Old 12-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to hear something got done! Guy on F150Forum had an economist engine problem. Truck had about 30k miles on it.

...And was on its 4th motor. He sold it for a Raptor supercrew.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by mtnmanut
Some of you may remember previous posts of 9.8 mpg and a loud clattering and knocking. The dealer said all was normal. Oh ya, this is a 2013 supercrew 4x4 lariat ecoboost. After weeks of listening to this and buying way more gas then I should,i called ford,and staged my complaints. 2 days later a call from the district manager. She made arrangements for the dealer to actually look at it,not just set behind a desk and say its normal. Low and behold, after 2 days in the shop they came to the conclusion that the addition of a lot of metal in the oil was not normal,and ford authorized a new long block. that was 3 weeks ago.Still waiting for the motor to come in. eco motors are on back order. Only reasons I can think of for a motor to be on back order would be that so many are falling apart and there replacing that many or new demand is so high there all going to new production,they don't say which it is.So,if the motor ever comes in,it doesn't clatter and knock, and gets normal mpg.I'll have a brand new truck with 2000 miles. Or a brand new used truck with 2000 miles.Some of you will say I would have made them give me a new truck,me too, but it isn't that easy. If anyone knows the magic trick to get a new truck out of them i'd love to here it.::surre nder:
Sorry to hear about your truck. Yours is the first catastrophic failure I've heard of. My friend is a shop foreman at a dealer just south of me here with 20 guys. Only major work he has ever done on an Ecoboost was transmission related.

Considering another friend cannot for the life of him order the truck he wants for 3 months because of production delays, I would imagine that your second guess of production woes is more correct than constantly being replaced. It would be all over the forums too.

Last edited by the_cosworth; 12-03-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
They can be back ordered because of supply reasons and not necessarily the demand side of the equation.

ask to at least have your current payments washed. Ask to speak with the area market manager or equivalent. Basically the guy that is in charge of making sure all the stores are keeping customers happy and that the stores are following warranty procedures and guidelines

Old 12-03-2013, 01:25 PM
If anyone knows the magic trick to get a new truck out of them i'd love to hear it.
Trade-in.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Global Moderator &

Are you at least in a free rental car?

Old 12-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
Are you at least in a free rental car?
Yes,they are furnishing a rental,and they are probably doing everything plus to attempt to make us happy. I'm 60 yrs old and have purchased (can't count) new vehicles. This is just the first one I have had this kind of problems with. A little (very) disappointed. Once somethings taken apart to the extent this has been. I can't see it being as good as factory assy..

Old 12-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Glad they are fixing the problem,

As far as the eco motors being on back order according to you cause many are "falling apart" is just plain stupid though.

If you dont like the truck after its fixed then trade it off and never look back.

Good Luck!

Old 12-03-2013, 03:28 PM

Can't trade it off without taking a huge hit though. Value is never the same after a new engine is put in at 2k miles.

Hope everything works out though!

Old 12-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Ask for a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty since the engine has been replaced.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Global Moderator &

Once somethings taken apart to the extent this has been. I can't see it being as good as factory assy..
Depends on the tech doing the work. I've done a hand full engines at work and I don't have issues after the repair. Just be glad you're getting a long block and not a short block.

for fun look atmy post on here when I did an engine on a 2010 Range Rover Sport

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=428194

Old 12-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by ajsturtz
Ask for a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty since the engine has been replaced.
the truck came with 5 yr 100,000 mi drivetrain as a late in the yr ford incentive. Many a yr ago I worked in the auto repair at dealerships,all pay was commission and flat rate.no mater who the mechanic (then we were mechanic now you have to be a computer expert).So I'm expecting the same type of hurry up get it done as fast as he can to get on to the next job. Every step of the trouble shoot of our truck by the dealer was orchestrated by ford. the computer tech at the dealer would report to ford his findings,then wait for ford to get back to them and tell them the next step and what to do next. This ping pong game went on for a week. The tech at the dealer was not allowed to use his head or experience or skills until ford told him or let him. The exact problem,what the metal came from was not found. all ford would let them do was to pull valve covers and pan,the motor was not torn down until the problem was discovered. All we can do is cross our fingers and hope for the best.As far as trading and getting something else, those of you that suggested that must be filthy rich, we've already looked into that, its going to be about a 8 to 10 thousand dollar hit. At 60 and retired were pretty much stuck with it.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Suspended
A lot of people know I am not an eco fan. Aside from my doubts, this is not an eco problem. It makes sense to me that this is costing Ford a fortune and they have the incentive to figure out what happened. I am very interested to know what went wrong. I really hope Ford will leave you very satisfied.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by RexReid
A lot of people know I am not an eco fan. Aside from my doubts, this is not an eco problem. It makes sense to me that this is costing Ford a fortune and they have the incentive to figure out what happened. I am very interested to know what went wrong. I really hope Ford will leave you very satisfied.
Thankyou ;I restore and build cars i'v done this all my life. I to would like to know what failed,but local ford is not authorized to tear down any further,so I will probably never find out. In the middle of restoring a 56 goldenhawk, a 66 ranchero,my wife wants this one to drive when done,and building a 32 ford roadster for my own toy. So as you can see I am no stranger to the workings of cars and how they can be built and repaired correctly or just repaired.

Quick Reply: FYI Update on 2013 9.8 MPG