2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Truck makes power steering whine when in gear BUT

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 03:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hydro1
I have no idea why they don't continue it. The Ranger is gone, so having the Sport Trac would would fill the small truck market with no additional R&D or assembly line needed. Albeit an expensive small truck, but one for sell none the less.
No one wants a unibody truck, unless your an idiot and buy a Ridgeline. After Ford redesigned the Explorer to be a crossover utility class vehicle, that was the death of the sport trak.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hydro1
^ I would own a sport trac right now if they still made it. Imagine the EB in that smaller body (like the current Explorer Sport), but with less weight due to the back half a truck bed. I have no idea why they don't continue it. The Ranger is gone, so having the Sport Trac would would fill the small truck market with no additional R&D or assembly line needed. Albeit an expensive small truck, but one for sell none the less.
It's all got to do with gas mileage. Thats why Dodge discontinued their Dakota as well. Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan get terrible fuel mileage so their midsize trucks are still around.

Ford with it's 3.7L and 3.5L engines, get the same milage as the Sport Trac and my 5.0L is about the same as what I was getting with the 4.6L 3V in the Sport Trac.

They don't care about anything but mileage even if some people still want a smaller, cheaper truck. For that matter the Sport Trac was only a few grand cheaper and it had a lot less features than the F150. The F150 is a better buck for the bang truck. It offers more features, a lot more performance, and a lot more capability for just a few grand more. Back in '08 they were priced about the same since the Sport Trac didn't have the rebates and discounts that the F150 gets. I wanted something fuel efficient so the 4 speed trans and 5.4L were out of the pic for me. The 6 speed in the 2010 made so much difference.

Dodge now with their 8 speed trans and 3.6L get better performance and milege than the Dakota with the 4.7L. Their 5/6 speed transmission sucks. Poor gearing and it's really a 4 speed since it has only 5 gears in auto mode, and 2 of them are overdrives. It's like a poorly geared 4 speed trans that sucks all the power out of the engine it's connected to. The 8 speed/3.6L is a much better combination.

I had a Ram 4.7L rental and it's about the slowest, lowest performing vehicle I've ever driven, and that includes all the 4 bangers!

Old 01-31-2021, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did your truck get fixed with the torque converter?mine is doing the same thing

Originally Posted by Mike Up
Confirmed bad torque converter. Waiting for it and new seals to come in for replacement.
did your truck get fixed by changing the torque converter? Mine is doing the same whining noise in the lower gears but shifts fine with no slip dealer wanted to just change the trans at 4800 dollars

Old 01-31-2021, 09:52 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Make sure it isn't the alternator making the whine. Remove the serpentine belt and see if it still makes the whine.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation

john french / Roadie ...
*HEADS-UP* The thread is 7+years old and it appears that Mike Up (the O/P) has moved-on to a 2019 F-150 (as per the sig').

Old 02-02-2021, 09:01 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by gDMJoe
*HEADS-UP* The thread is 7+years old and it appears that Mike Up (the O/P) has moved-on to a 2019 F-150 (as per the sig').
I saw that and I also saw the title of John's post that stated that he is having the same problem.

Quick Reply: Truck makes power steering whine when in gear BUT