2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Driveshaft fixed and something's fishy....

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rambo
A driveshaft that breaks suddenly and causes loss of control of the vehicle is a safety defect. Ordinary wear on a component that is to be replaced periodically like tires is not a safety defect.

There are tons of people that are having to replace and having problems with drivesahfts on F-150's (including mine.) I will recommend everyone report their drive shaft problems to the NHTSA. I don't expect there to be a recall, but you never know.

Reporting it is the only defense we have and helps support problems if they get complaints from different owners. If it did not happen to you, don't worry about it. Ram recalled theirs last year due to reports.
And a rock can come through the windshield, hit you in the forehead, kill you, and then you go out of control, hit a ramp, go into the air, hit an commercial jet landing at the airport and kill 257 innocent people!

I would venture a guess that more people are killed yearly by tire blowouts because they didn't inflate their tires properly than all of the deaths since the beginning of time caused by broken driveshafts. Seriously, even if it does break, the chance of it causing loss of control of the vehicle is extremely slim. If it breaks, you lose power, you pull over, you wait for a tow.

We really need to recall people that don't know how to drive, if you ask me.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know some of you reset your trip odometers, but I use mine for different purposes, so instead, I take a picture of the instrument cluster with my phone, and then compare it when I get the truck back. Last week I got my back glass and door speaker harnesses replaced under warranty, and they put 1.2 miles on my truck.

-John

Old 06-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Gramps
High-ster, I like your idea of resetting trip odometer, then changing screens. That will be standard practice henceforth.

I never reset it. I take a picture of it with my phone. Resetting it makes it too easy for the dealership to do the same to cover up something, imo. I take picture of the odometer, that way it is much more difficult for them to play games.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:43 PM
More grist for the mill...

June 13, 2013

Recall Alert: 2013 Rams for Software, Front Driveshaft

Following reports that two trucks had sustained damage, Chrysler discovered some trucks were subject to a condition that may cause the front prop shaft to bind or fracture, resulting in power loss.

From: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...000-Ram-trucks

via: http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/06...riveshaft.html

------

Drive shaft comes off truck, strikes woman's car on US-24
Woman taken to hospital with headache pain

Posted: June 14, 2013

A 31-year-old woman was injured after a portion of a drive shaft of a passing pickup truck became detached and struck the windshield of the red Pontiac Gran Prix she was driving... The shaft poked a hole in the driver’s side of the windshield and shattered the window on the driver’s side... It wasn’t clear if the woman was struck by the shaft or just debris from the accident.

http://cjonline.com/news/2013-06-14/...mans-car-us-24

Last edited by Rambo; 06-14-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:45 PM
Hello, I havent been on forums in a long time. I have a 2011 Ford F150 5.0 2-wheel drive that I bought new. I have about 40K miles and I also have the darn clunking. Sounds like either loose U-joints or a loose yoke. I havent looked at my owners manual and I am wondering what the warranty period is so I can take it into a dealer and have it checked out. Clunk is quite annoying. Thanks,

Old 02-11-2014, 12:43 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
35,000 on the warranty. It's the slip yolk, no damage, just annoying. Had mine done and it lasted about 30,000. Just letting it bump this time.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
35,000 on the warranty. It's the slip yolk, no damage, just annoying. Had mine done and it lasted about 30,000. Just letting it bump this time.
Mines doing it also.. been doing it since about 15000 miles on the odo..

My 03 did it also.. took it to the ford house and they charged me 80 bucks to grease it. Redonkulous

Old 02-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John Patterson
... I have a 2011 Ford F150 5.0 2-wheel drive that I bought new. I have about 40K miles and I also have the darn clunking. ...
John Patterson,

My name is Ashley and I'm the new Ford Customer Service rep here on the forum. I recommend swinging by the dealer to have them take a look at this noise. Let me know what they have to say, and I'll assist, if necessary.

Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Mines doing it also.. been doing it since about 15000 miles on the odo. ...
KingRanchCoy,

I'm happy to take a look at this for you. Send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

Quick Reply: Driveshaft fixed and something's fishy....