2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Driveshaft fixed and something's fishy....

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driveshaft fixed and something's fishy....

Last week I had posted a thread on my driveshaft failing just out of warranty (61,700 miles). Ford agreed that some of it was their fault so they offered to pick up half the tab....Picked up the truck last night and noticed the mileage was 63,300 (1,500 miles over than when I brought the thing into the dealership). Called the dealership to make a note of it right away and they said they would get back to me first thing this morning. On my invoice it says mileage "in" 61,700 and mileage "out" 61,700...Am I in the twilight zone or what? The supervisor at the dealership this morning said "I must have just put down the mileage you told me on the workorder, but we only drove it maybe 2 miles to test it out". I called the tow truck company they used and he had to get back to me to check his records, he said he wrote the mileage down as 63,262 when he picked the truck up. I don't know if I am losing my mind but I know how to read a 5 digit number on my dash...The whole basis of me fighting to have ford reimburse me was because the truck was so close to the 60,000 mile mark. I must be taking crazy pills or something. Anyone ever heard or such a thing or have a suggestion what to do next? Thanks, here is the original thread from last week:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ing-apart.html

Old 06-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
sometimes numbers get written down or remembered wrong....chalk it up to human error....imo

Old 06-06-2013, 02:05 PM
dealerships almost always put the mileage out as the same thing as the mileage in.

The chances of the mileage in being exactly 61,700 are slim to none. you probably just got confused in your mileage when reporting it to the dealership. Maybe you had noticed when you hit exactly that number a little earlier. The dealership was dumb for not checking it, but at least they covered half under warranty!

I would trust the tow truck driver. He undoubtedly got in and read it off the dash.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wisconsinFX4
Last week I had posted a thread on my driveshaft failing just out of warranty (61,700 miles). Ford agreed that some of it was their fault so they offered to pick up half the tab....Picked up the truck last night and noticed the mileage was 63,300 (1,500 miles over than when I brought the thing into the dealership). Called the dealership to make a note of it right away and they said they would get back to me first thing this morning. On my invoice it says mileage "in" 61,700 and mileage "out" 61,700...Am I in the twilight zone or what? The supervisor at the dealership this morning said "I must have just put down the mileage you told me on the workorder, but we only drove it maybe 2 miles to test it out". I called the tow truck company they used and he had to get back to me to check his records, he said he wrote the mileage down as 63,262 when he picked the truck up. I don't know if I am losing my mind but I know how to read a 5 digit number on my dash...The whole basis of me fighting to have ford reimburse me was because the truck was so close to the 60,000 mile mark. I must be taking crazy pills or something. Anyone ever heard or such a thing or have a suggestion what to do next? Thanks, here is the original thread from last week:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ing-apart.html
I thought i saw your truck a few days ago here in texas ...

J/K but it does seem fishy.. alot of people remember what their mileage is (me included) I doubt they drove your truck 1500 miles but what can you do?

Ive noticed everytime i take a vehicle in for state inspection 80 percent of the time the write the mileage down wrong on the sticker.. Some times rediculously far off.. Guess some people cant read a odometer..

Old 06-06-2013, 04:07 PM
I make a habit to re-set my trip odometer and then switch the display to another mode, to keep track of any miles the dealership puts on.

Also, maybe because they were paying for half (which IS quite the accomplishment on your half) they figured they could go for a couple of cruises just to make sure everthang was working properly............

Was the radio on your regular station??? Did they SMOKE in your ride???

No empties or chicken buckets in the backseat, I hope.........

Last edited by High-ster; 06-06-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:32 AM
High-ster, I like your idea of resetting trip odometer, then changing screens. That will be standard practice henceforth.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:28 PM
WisconsinFX4, File a complaint about the driveshaft breaking with the NHTSA. Just recently Chrysler recalled drive shafts from their 2007 Jeep and Dodges. If they receive enough complaints, we may get a recall for the F-150. There should be a recall on these F-150's going back to the 2004 last gens.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Trending Topics

Old 06-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rambo
WisconsinFX4, File a complaint about the driveshaft breaking with the NHTSA. Just recently Chrysler recalled drive shafts from their 2007 Jeep and Dodges. If they receive enough complaints, we may get a recall for the F-150. There should be a recall on these F-150's going back to the 2004 last gens.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
A driveshaft breaking at 62k is worthy of an NHTSA complaint? Seriously? Next thing you know, we'll have NHTSA complaints because tires don't last 250k miles!

Old 06-07-2013, 11:11 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
From the dealership perspective: If the truck comes in on the tow truck, its potentially a long walk to go verify the mileage when writing an R.O. It sometimes just gets ballparked....

I'd hope the tech caught it. I know I usually do.

As for the driveshaft getting covered under warranty, dealerships have a "good will" program for loyal customers who ask for something to be covered just outside of warranty. Its generally authorized and paid through area warranty rep

Old 06-07-2013, 11:28 PM
It is understood that tires are designed to wear out. How long should a driveshaft last? The parts that are breaking are worth like $35., but you have to buy a whole new driveshaft for big $$$. It is a terrible design.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:59 PM
The problem with these drive shafts is the non-replaceable carrier (center support) bearing. The bearing was installed before the tube was friction welded (bad) in place. It cannot be changed without cutting the driveshaft apart, thus destroying the driveshaft. This part is only $35.00 but you have to buy a complete new driveshaft. Staked in Universal Joints are not typically replaceable and is a terrible design for a driveshaft. The tube is thin wall designed too. The next gen driveshafts need to be stronger and have an easily replaceable center bearing.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rambo
The problem with these drive shafts is the non-replaceable carrier (center support) bearing. The bearing was installed before the tube was friction welded (bad) in place. It cannot be changed without cutting the driveshaft apart, thus destroying the driveshaft. This part is only $35.00 but you have to buy a complete new driveshaft. Staked in Universal Joints are not typically replaceable and is a terrible design for a driveshaft. The tube is thin wall designed too. The next gen driveshafts need to be stronger and have an easily replaceable center bearing.
You may be absolutely correct, maybe it is a bad design, but it's not a safety issue. Yeah, bad things can happen if a driveshaft breaks, but I really don't think this is something that we need to get the NHTSA involved in.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:07 AM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
A driveshaft breaking at 62k is worthy of an NHTSA complaint? Seriously? Next thing you know, we'll have NHTSA complaints because tires don't last 250k miles!
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
it's not a safety issue. Yeah, bad things can happen if a driveshaft breaks, but I really don't think this is something that we need to get the NHTSA involved in.
A driveshaft that breaks suddenly and causes loss of control of the vehicle is a safety defect. Ordinary wear on a component that is to be replaced periodically like tires is not a safety defect.

There are tons of people that are having to replace and having problems with drivesahfts on F-150's (including mine.) I will recommend everyone report their drive shaft problems to the NHTSA. I don't expect there to be a recall, but you never know.

Reporting it is the only defense we have and helps support problems if they get complaints from different owners. If it did not happen to you, don't worry about it. Ram recalled theirs last year due to reports.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
NHTSA wont care. Dropping a driveshaft means the truck looses powertrain. You pull over and tow it. Hardly a safety issue.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
NHTSA wont care. Dropping a driveshaft means the truck looses power train. You pull over and tow it. Hardly a safety issue.
NHTSA investigating Land Rover drive shaft issues

Head's up if you're one of the 33,000 owners of 2002-2004 Range Rovers. The NHTSA has launched an investigation into those vehicles' front driveshafts and differentials. The government agency said it had received 38 owner questionnaires pertaining to the situation and 17 of those claimed the drivetrain parts had failed while traveling at 40 mph or more. As you might expect, chatter on the Internets helped push this problem to the forefront. RangeRovers.net in particular seems to not only have a thorough description of the problem, but also several solutions. We can only imagine the party that will be going on over there when they hear the news.

Defect Summary Make: LAND ROVER Model: RANGE ROVER Year: 2002 NHTSA Action Number: PE07019 Summary: ODI HAS RECEIVED 38 VEHICLE OWNER QUESTIONNAIRES (VOQS) ALLEGING FAILURE OF THE FRONT DRIVE SHAFT AND/OR THE FRONT AXLE DIFFERENTIAL. MANY OF THE COMPLAINANTS ALLEGE THAT THE FAILURE RESULTS IN A LOSS OF VEHICLE PROPULSION AND SUBSEQUENT VEHICLE IMMOBILIZATION. SEVENTEEN OF THE COMPLAINTS ALLEGE THAT THE FAILURE OCCURRED WHILE DRIVING AT SPEEDS GREATER THAN 40 MPH. SIXTEEN OF THE COMPLAINANTS ALLEGE THE VEHICLE REQUIRED TOWING AS A RESULT OF THE FAILURES. ADDITIONALLY, EIGHT OF THE COMPLAINANTS ALLEGE THAT THEY EXPERIENCED TWO FAILURES OF THE FRONT DIFFERENTIAL AND/OR FRONT DRIVESHAFT. A PRELIMINARY EVALUATION HAS BEEN OPENED TO ASSESS THE SCOPE, FREQUENCY AND SAFETY CONSEQUENCES OF THE ALLEGED DEFECT.

http://www.azlro.org/about/269

NHTSA Investigates Deadly Bus Drive Shaft Defect

Federal safety regulators have begun a probe into a possible bus defect which may have contributed to several serious recent bus accidents...

The federal probe started when the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration received a complaint filed by the parent company of Greyhound bus lines. The complaint alleges that several Greyhound buses made by Motor Coach Industries Inc. had defective drive shafts. The shafts were reportedly not properly held up by safety hooks, which could cause the drive shaft to fall out of place and result in a bus driver losing control while driving.

The most serious of the Greyhound crash linked to the manufacturing defect happened on I-37 near San Antonio. The bus driver lost control of the bus when the drive shaft broke and the bus flipped over, killing two and injuring 40.

Not all defective drive shafts fall off completely. One expert says that a defective drive shaft can snag on the pavement and flip a bus over. Additional testing of defective drive shafts showed that bus brakes can be compromised by a falling drive shaft as well.

http://www.walkuplawoffice.com/blog/...t-defect.shtml

Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Ram Investigated By NHTSA

NHTSA said one of the Dodge Ram complaints alleged drive shaft failure in which "the detached shaft end punctured the fuel tank."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1694981.html

NHTSA Begins Investigation on 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2009-2010 Ram 1500

Several complaints said the vehicle driveshaft detached with one puncturing the fuel tank. Approximately 230,000 2009-2010 Dodge/Ram 1500 pickups are being investigated.

http://wot.motortrend.com/nhtsa-begi...#ixzz2Vf60oE2K

NHTSA looking into Subaru Impreza and Kia Sorento

NHTSA said it is also investigating 50,000 2011 Kia Sorento SUVs after receiving four complaints alleging a loss of power because of sudden failure of a transmission intermediate driveshaft. Another five complaints allege a loss of power because of transmission failure that could be related to a driveshaft failure.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2011/04/11...d-kia-sorento/

NHTSA Investigating Kia and Subaru Models For Safety Defects; Recall Possible

The Subaru Impreza and Kia Sorrento are currently under the scrutiny of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, as the government agency is investigating the cars for serious defects.

Approximately 50,000 Sorrentos from 2011 could lose power because of a transmission intermediate driveshaft that could fail, according to four complaints received by the feds. Five more complaints allege that a closely-related driveshaft failure could cause the transmission to break.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-possible.html

KIA/Hyundai... the POS They Are: NHTSA Investigates Driveshaft Failure in Sorrento

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has opened an investigation into the 2011 Kia Sorento for possible driveshaft failure that results in a sudden loss of power. According to NHTSA, there have been four complaints about the intermediate driveshaft and another five alleging that the power loss was due to a transmission failure which may be related to the driveshaft issue. The investigation will look into 50,000 2011 model year Sorento CUVs. Kia has reportedly issued a technical service bulletin to address a clunking or squealing noise from the intermediate driveshaft.

http://carfanaticsforum.com/thread-5109.html

Driveshaft Defect Prompts Recall of 50,000 Honda Civics From 2012

In a report filed early Wednesday on the safety agency’s Web site, the automaker said the driver’s side driveshaft could become loose while the vehicle was in motion.

Honda described the recall as voluntary, but once a manufacturer is aware of a safety problem it has no choice but to inform the safety agency within five working days of its plan for a recall.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012...ics-from-2012/

[NHTSA Recall No. 04V279/Mitsubishi Recall No. SR-04-006]

Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc.
Models: Mitsubishi Endeavor Year: 2004
Number Potentially Involved: 29,330
Dates of Manufacture: January 2003 - May 2004

Defect: On certain AWD sport utility vehicles, the retaining bolts that attach the drive shaft to the center bearing flange and/or the rear differential flange may be missing, not sufficiently tightened, or over tightened. If the retaining bolts were to fall out, the drive to the rear wheels may be interrupted.

In the worst case, the driver shaft may fall down, increasing the potential for a vehicle crash.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Pre...+Recalls.print

BMW Recall: Loose Driveshaft, Other Defects Lead to Potential Crashes and Lawsuits

“the driveshaft may disengage from the front wheels and cause a breakdown and increase the risk of a crash,” the Wall Street Journal reports.

http://www.newsomelaw.com/blog/2011/...s-and-lawsuits

Update 2: Recall Alert: 2010 Toyota Tacoma

Toyota is voluntarily recalling approximately 8,000 four-wheel drive Tacoma pickups to fix a potential problem with the front propeller shaft, a Toyota spokesman said today. The issue: a crack can develop in one of the joints that may lead to the driveshaft separating and falling away from the truck, causing the vehicle to lose control. The problem can occur without warning, according to a Toyota recall bulletin sent to Toyota dealers today.

The same part is used in a limited number of Ford and Nissan vehicles, including Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner SUVs.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/02...ta-tacoma.html

Recall Alert: 2010 Toyota

Toyota is voluntarily recalling two (that's right, two) 2010 Tundra four-wheel-drive pickups to fix a potential problem with the front propeller shaft, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

If this sounds familiar, it's because it's virtually identical to an earlier recall affecting the 2010 Toyota Tacoma.

Toyota discovered the prop shaft issue while dyno testing an affected Tundra at the Texas plant where the trucks are built. An investigation traced the problem to prop shaft supplier Dana Corp., which found that improper part placement in welder tooling could result in a bad weld that would lead to the problem.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/03...ta-tundra.html

Another Tundra Recall....

TORRANCE, Calif., April 26, 2011 – Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc, today announced it will conduct a voluntary safety recall on approximately 51,000, 2011 model year Tundra trucks to inspect the rear drive shaft. The rear drive shaft in an estimated 0.05 percent of the vehicles may include a component (slip yoke) that could break due to improper casting during the foundry process.

http://forums.pickuptrucks.com/ubbth...609033&page=11

Broken drive shaft likely caused Texas bus crash

A broken drive shaft likely caused a Mexico-bound bus to veer wildly on a Texas highway before flipping over, killing two passengers and injuring 40 others on board, investigators said Wednesday.

The drive shaft, which transfers power from the engine to the wheels, apparently fell off before the Americanos USA bus carrying 42 people careened from the right lane toward the median and spun wildly

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...us-crash_N.htm

Feds probe bus defect that may have caused crashes

Federal safety regulators have begun investigating buses made by Motor Coach Industries Inc. over the past 20 years because the drive shafts can fall out and cause drivers to lose control.

The problem has led to two crashes that killed two people and injured 50 others, according to documents filed Monday on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's website

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/feds...caused-crashes

And so on and so on and so on...

NHTSA Investigating Power Loss In Ford F-150

Ford F-150 EcoBoost Under Investigation for Power Loss -

NHTSA Probes 400,000 Ford F-150 Pickups

NHTSA Opens Investigation Into Ford EcoBoost Power Loss

http://www.google.com/search?q=power+loss+f150&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=&oe=#rls=com.microsoft:en-us%3AIE-Address&sclient=psy-ab&q=power+loss+f150+nhtsa&oq=power+loss+f150+nhtsa&gs_l=serp.3...2819.4341.0.4603.6.6.0.0.0.0.185.782.0j6.6.0.crnk_timediscountc..0.0...1.1.16.psy-ab.DixACKqC4Tk&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47534661,d.dmg&fp=a41a39a181af028f&biw=1280&bih=630

Last edited by Rambo; 06-08-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft fixed and something's fishy....