Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Phone button on steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phone button on steering wheel

All,

I had a 2013 F150 with my ford touch and previous years as well (before MFT) where if your phone Bluetooth connection would disconnect due to you taking phone too far away from the vehicle (for whatever reason), you could simply reconnect the phone by pressing the phone button on the steering wheel.

I have recently purchased a 2014 F150 with same MFT setup, but the latest software release. Now this option does not work. NOr does it make the "redial" call when you press it twice (not 100% old one would do this but I think it did).

My question is, any other 2014 owners out there or other MFT owners with the latest software update notice the same thing? Curious if this option was removed (on purpose or unintended result from update) or if I potentially have an issue with my truck. (Note, the button works fine for answering and hanging up calls.)

Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
My Bluetooth engages when I get in the truck. The only time I touch that button is to answer a call.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
My Bluetooth engages when I get in the truck. The only time I touch that button is to answer a call.
Thanks, as does mine. THis was more a question for once it's engaged, if you would take the phone out of the truck it disconnects (while truck still running). The 2013 you could press the phone button to reconnect. The 2014 isn't doing that. Just curious if that's a problem or just how the new software is working.

Thanks.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm. Mine has always connected automatically (in the same way as Bluejay said). Even if I walk away from the truck with the phone while the truck is running, it will reconnect automatically. I can walk up to my truck with my phone in my ear, open the door and get inside, and the call will transfer to the truck speakers.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBoy88
Hmm. Mine has always connected automatically (in the same way as Bluejay said). Even if I walk away from the truck with the phone while the truck is running, it will reconnect automatically. I can walk up to my truck with my phone in my ear, open the door and get inside, and the call will transfer to the truck speakers.
Yep, same here.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBoy88
Same here..

Plus i like that the truck tells me if i forgot my phone in the house.. There has been several times i will back out of the driveway and it will say phone disconnected.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:15 PM
Ford Customer Service
Originally Posted by piercede
All,

I had a 2013 F150 with my ford touch and previous years as well (before MFT) where if your phone Bluetooth connection would disconnect due to you taking phone too far away from the vehicle (for whatever reason), you could simply reconnect the phone by pressing the phone button on the steering wheel.

I have recently purchased a 2014 F150 with same MFT setup, but the latest software release. Now this option does not work. NOr does it make the "redial" call when you press it twice (not 100% old one would do this but I think it did).

My question is, any other 2014 owners out there or other MFT owners with the latest software update notice the same thing? Curious if this option was removed (on purpose or unintended result from update) or if I potentially have an issue with my truck. (Note, the button works fine for answering and hanging up calls.)

Thanks in advance for any info.
Hey, piercede -

Like the other mention, it should reconnect automatically.

Do you know which software version you're running? If not, send me your VIN.

Also, what type of phone are you using and who's the carrier?

Jaclyn

Old 10-21-2014, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hey, piercede -

Like the other mention, it should reconnect automatically.

Do you know which software version you're running? If not, send me your VIN.

Also, what type of phone are you using and who's the carrier?

Jaclyn
I have the latest software, I don't know the actual number but I know it has been confirmed it is the latest version.

The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S4, which is the same phone I had with my previous truck.

Will the automatic reconnect work if you have your blutooth off, and then turn it on after the truck has already started?

Also, I figured out the redial issue. I have to press the phone button to bring the redial popup up on the screen, and then double tap the phone button to actually make the call. So that is not an issue any longer.

Thanks.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:01 PM
Ford Customer Service
I have the latest software, I don't know the actual number but I know it has been confirmed it is the latest version.

The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S4, which is the same phone I had with my previous truck.

Will the automatic reconnect work if you have your blutooth off, and then turn it on after the truck has already started?

Also, I figured out the redial issue. I have to press the phone button to bring the redial popup up on the screen, and then double tap the phone button to actually make the call. So that is not an issue any longer.

Thanks.
The phone may take longer to reconnect if you turn Bluetooth off completely, piercede, but it should eventually reconnect with one to two minutes.

Jaclyn

Old 10-23-2014, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
The phone may take longer to reconnect if you turn Bluetooth off completely, piercede, but it should eventually reconnect with one to two minutes.

Jaclyn
Thanks, I did confirm that it actually does reconnect when I take the phone too far away and then come back in range.

Still can't get it to automatically connect if my BT is off and then I turn it on though.

But sounds like perhaps the phone button isn't programmed to operate this way anymore if it is supposed to automatically connect.

Thanks.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Ford Customer Service
Thanks, I did confirm that it actually does reconnect when I take the phone too far away and then come back in range.

Still can't get it to automatically connect if my BT is off and then I turn it on though.

But sounds like perhaps the phone button isn't programmed to operate this way anymore if it is supposed to automatically connect.

Thanks.
No problem, piercede. Give me a shout if you run into any other questions.

Jaclyn

Old 10-24-2014, 05:07 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks.
There *may* be a setting to fix that on the S4. Look in Bluetooth options... I cannot remember but, I think that there was something in there...

Quick Reply: Phone button on steering wheel