Sponsored by: DashLynx

2013 Ecoboost turbo fail

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Ecoboost turbo fail

Hey, Everybody!
Havent been here for a while.

Wanted to post a little cautionary tale for all new Ecoboost owners. I dont think, that my situation is typical, but maybe itll help someone to diagnose same problem I have sooner.

So long story short - got my 2013 FX4 early Nov last year. Was contemplating what engine to get, but ended up getting Ecoboost, because I really liked the torque on it.

It took some time to get used to the way it moves after switching from V8, but I really loved it. I mean it really goes after You push that pedal.

So mid January I started hearing a bit of a scratching/grinding noise during medium acceleration right after the turbo kicks in. At first it was really short so I figured maybe it was the cold, but I still decided to get it checked since I was going to the dealer for my free oil change anyways. The truck only has 9000 km on it.

Dealer took it in, they said that they need to check it. So they take it in, keep it for a few days, then give it back to me, saying that it was a 4x4 switching back & forth randomly, so they changed something & it all good. I didnt really believed them but took the truck anyways thinking that maybe my hunch was wrong.

As soon as I take off the light it does the sound again. And after going on a highway ramp the turbo just dies. I lose all the freaking power on it.

Here is the sound on the video, that I was taking trying to make a proof for my dealer.
http://tinypic.com/r/2mw6pzl/6
Scroll to the last quarter of the video. You hear it a few second after the door signal(I didnt close the door tight enough)
So I take it straight back to dealer, let them listen to the video. Describe all the symptoms in details, so they take it in again.

After running some test on it for FOUR freaking days, they finally agree, that its the turbo. But they dont have the turbos in stock & they are on the back order, so they have to order it & I have to wait for it for another week.

Bottom line. A brand new freaking truck with less than 10000km on it. Two freaking weeks @ dealer & counting. Im so pissed!!

Ohh yeah also to add tho the insult - Im a contractor, I needed a replacement truck & they gave me a 2012 super basic XLT as a replacement. It doesnt even have running boards on it, so my 8 month pregnant wife cant even get into it.

So yeah. Go Ford

Old 02-13-2013, 12:16 AM
Ohh also here is a list of symptoms that I had.
Grinding/scratching noise in the front end symptoms

1. Noise happens during moderate acceleration usually after 1500RPMs(Highway ramp or taking off light).
2. Noise always happens after turbo starts. I was NOT able to replicate it by revving engine in parked position (Turbo doesn't kick in).
3. Noise can last up to several seconds. If it lasts more than a few seconds You can notice CONSIDERABLE torque/power loss. Also You can hear breaks in the turbo regular whistling noise, as if turbo was choking.
4. Noise happens both in cold & warm engine, although it seems to be more severe/last longer when the engine is cold.
5. Noise happens in both 4x2 & 4x4 modes. Switching into 4x4 does NOT affect the noise.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Man that just bites. Sorry to hear your issues and I know exactly the problem you are having with the dealer. I was just talking the last couple of days about spending $40k on a new truck and when you take it in, they either dont have a loaner or you get something cheap. I dont agree with that.

But, I havent had any issues with mine, thankfully. Im usually the one who has issues with anything i buy. Its just the luck i have. I got mine about 4-5 months after they put them in the F-150's. So i got an early one and was skeptical then. No long term track record. Maybe they changed something, or maybe you just have a faulty part. Either way, it would feel better if the problem was resolved on first trip and not have to wait 2 weeks for a part that should be in stock.

Good luck with it and keep us posted on the progress.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:50 PM
Welcome to the blown turbo club

At least you got a replacement car, the first dealership I called for mine wanted $30 a day for a rental! Made it to my purchasing dealership and they hooked me up with a decked out 2013 Taurus that had never been driven. (They had nothing available but didn't want to leave me carless)

Old 02-14-2013, 01:19 AM

Sorry to hear about your problems! I do hope they get your truck fixed soon for you.

So far (knock on wood), no issues with mine but I appreciate all the info you shared to help the rest of us recognize any of those symptoms.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Well at least it happened during bumper to bumper warranty, so they will have to fix everything for free. Also it seems my complaints to dealer are starting to work - since the turbo is still not delivered, they said they'll be getting me a nicer replacement vehicle to drive.

Posted from F150online.com App for Android

Old 02-20-2013, 02:31 PM
UPDATE: Turbos are still not delivered. 3 weeks & counting. Dealer said, that they don't even have a delivery date yet. Apparently there is a nation wide shortage of f150 eco boost turbos in Canada. So I called Ford Canada directly & gave them a piece of my mind We'll see what happens now.

Trending Topics

Old 02-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Hey, Everyone!

I posted my story on Ford Canada facebook wall.

http://www.facebook.com/FordCanada/p...74840842646959

Please share it if You feel that it matters.

Thank You very much

Andrew

Old 02-27-2013, 09:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny for a small percentage of problem Ecoboost engines, I keep hearing at the forums, problems seem to affect many forum members!

If you can't get anything resolved, why don't you try to get your dealer to trade to a 5.0L or 6.2L with full value given to your lemon trade. I wouldn't settle for that problem truck, especially being brand new. I'd take it higher with a buy back or with a dealer trade, which ever comes out best.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Lusso, My truck is ready today! Oddly enough there appears to be no shortage of turbos here as the dealership had both of them the next day. But While they were installing them they noticed an oil leak on top of the engine and also found my intake manifold had MELTED so I had to wait another couple days for that since they were on backorder (my dealership ended up getting one from another that had one in stock). Posting whole story on my thread. Hope you get yours taken care of!

Old 03-01-2013, 11:01 PM
thanks, Ragged. I got a confirmation today that my truck will by ready by Monday morning. I'm hoping to get a small favor from my dealer for such long waiting time Want them to run a small cable straight to DC for my new dashboard camera

Old 03-02-2013, 07:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ragged05FX4
Lusso, My truck is ready today! Oddly enough there appears to be no shortage of turbos here as the dealership had both of them the next day. But While they were installing them they noticed an oil leak on top of the engine and also found my intake manifold had MELTED so I had to wait another couple days for that since they were on backorder (my dealership ended up getting one from another that had one in stock). Posting whole story on my thread. Hope you get yours taken care of!
I would like to know what the oil leak is. when i changed my oil for the first time, i found a little oil under there as well but didnt trace it to see where it was coming from. if you find out where its coming from please let me know. i am about due for another change so i will investigate again to see if it is still there. i just figured it was just spill over from where the dealer changed it.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by 67Shelby
I would like to know what the oil leak is. when i changed my oil for the first time, i found a little oil under there as well but didnt trace it to see where it was coming from. if you find out where its coming from please let me know. i am about due for another change so i will investigate again to see if it is still there. i just figured it was just spill over from where the dealer changed it.

Ill be sure to ask for you when I pick it up today

Old 03-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by 67Shelby

Old 03-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like noisy BOV pop off of turbo boost.

Last edited by papa tiger; 03-11-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Quick Reply: 2013 Ecoboost turbo fail