2009 - 2014 F-150

2013 Ecoboost turbo fail

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
About the only comparison is they are very close in cubic inches and both made in Canada.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, Everyone!!!

Im sorry for a super late update on the whole story - my truck was finished on March 4th and on March 8th my daughter was born!!! So past 4 weeks have just been a blur of happy days, sleepless nights & everything else in between) She already seems to enjoy sleeping while driving around in the truck better than her crib, so maybe she's going to inherit my love for trucks So being new Dad turned out to be tiresome, but very awesome at the same time))
Anyways back to the truck - it was the axis of one of the turbines that got loose somehow & the turbine itself was getting stuck. They replaced the turbos & now everything seems to be working just fine(Started feeding my truck with premium - definitely makes a difference)
I would like to thank Ford Canada & the team of Younge-Steeles dealership for fixing my truck on time(more or less) & providing great customer support, while it was in service. The whole process took a bit more time, than I expected, but I have to say that in the end the issue was handled very professionally & Im am very happy with the level of customer service, provided by my dealer @ Younge-Steeles Ford & Lincoln.

I especially would like to thank Steve from Younge-Steeles for prompt updates & professionalism(You would rarely find someone in service industry willing to give out his cell phone number to the client & give updates by text), Raz from Younge-Steeles for always being positive & helpful, Wojtek from Younge-Steeles for patience & amazing technical knowledge. I also would like to thank Deleign from Ford Canada customer support for all the help and Craig & Anson from Ford Canada FB team for prompt replies.
As a way of compensating for the long wait, Dealer even did the wiring for my dashboard camera free of charge.
So I guess everything is well, that ends well))

Thanks to everyone, who was following for all the advice & support!

Old 01-02-2015, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Lusso
Hey, Everyone!!!

Thanks to everyone, who was following for all the advice & support!
Lusso- probably an old thread but wanted to add my issues, bought a off lease Escape way back in 2005. 2yrs later, cat plugged up, after several phone calls, no one supplies them. Called the local dealership (biting the bullet to pay $$'s) and they said they can't get them, they have had one waiting for 2 months. Its called a "Vehicle Down" term. In short, sold it for $3K and walked away. Idles great /city driving great/ just don't take it over 95kms/hr.
As a mechanic myself, my lesson is stay away from first generation and read these boards for trending complaints.
Regards and congrats on your daughter/family

Old 07-24-2015, 08:31 PM
my noise

My ecoboost started making a grinding noise after 2 years. I took it in 3 times. The dealer finally said it was the popoff valve. There was no offer to replace it . I see now it can be replaced by a $170 non ford part. Has anyone tried one of these? Turbo smart manufactures. How easy is it to replace valve? It has gotten super annoying now since I replaced air intake for ram air. I may need to send ram air back if noise cannot be fixed with replacement valve.

Im sorry for a super late update on the whole story - my truck was finished on March 4th and on March 8th my daughter was born!!! So past 4 weeks have just been a blur of happy days, sleepless nights & everything else in between) She already seems to enjoy sleeping while driving around in the truck better than her crib, so maybe she's going to inherit my love for trucks So being new Dad turned out to be tiresome, but very awesome at the same time))
Anyways back to the truck - it was the axis of one of the turbines that got loose somehow & the turbine itself was getting stuck. They replaced the turbos & now everything seems to be working just fine(Started feeding my truck with premium - definitely makes a difference)
I would like to thank Ford Canada & the team of Younge-Steeles dealership for fixing my truck on time(more or less) & providing great customer support, while it was in service. The whole process took a bit more time, than I expected, but I have to say that in the end the issue was handled very professionally & Im am very happy with the level of customer service, provided by my dealer @ Younge-Steeles Ford & Lincoln.

I especially would like to thank Steve from Younge-Steeles for prompt updates & professionalism(You would rarely find someone in service industry willing to give out his cell phone number to the client & give updates by text), Raz from Younge-Steeles for always being positive & helpful, Wojtek from Younge-Steeles for patience & amazing technical knowledge. I also would like to thank Deleign from Ford Canada customer support for all the help and Craig & Anson from Ford Canada FB team for prompt replies.
As a way of compensating for the long wait, Dealer even did the wiring for my dashboard camera free of charge.

Thanks to everyone, who was following for all the advice & support![/QUOTE]

Old 07-24-2015, 09:27 PM
The tried and proven part of the 5.0 Coyote stands on the shoulders of millions of 4.6 and 5.4 engines.

Also, I am pretty sure that both the 5.0 Coyote and the 3.5 Ecoboost were introduced in 2011. I have a nephew with a 2010 5.4, and a brother with a 2010 4.6.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hereford F150
The tried and proven part of the 5.0 Coyote stands on the shoulders of millions of 4.6 and 5.4 engines.

Also, I am pretty sure that both the 5.0 Coyote and the 3.5 Ecoboost were introduced in 2011. I have a nephew with a 2010 5.4, and a brother with a 2010 4.6.
3.5 eb has been out since 09, 2011 was first year in f150

Old 07-24-2015, 11:59 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
The EcoBoost V6 was first available as an engine option for 2010 Lincoln MKS, followed by 2010 Ford Flex, 2010 Ford Taurus SHO, and 2010 Lincoln MKT.

The 5.0 Coyote was in the Mustang and F-150 starting in 2011.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by glc
The EcoBoost V6 was first available as an engine option for 2010 Lincoln MKS, followed by 2010 Ford Flex, 2010 Ford Taurus SHO, and 2010 Lincoln MKT.

The 5.0 Coyote was in the Mustang and F-150 starting in 2011.
My point was directly referring to its availability in the F150, which WAS in 2011. I had forgotten about the SHO etc.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:37 PM
Ford Customer Service
Originally Posted by SteveP123456
My ecoboost started making a grinding noise after 2 years. I took it in 3 times. The dealer finally said it was the popoff valve. There was no offer to replace it . I see now it can be replaced by a $170 non ford part. Has anyone tried one of these? Turbo smart manufactures. How easy is it to replace valve? It has gotten super annoying now since I replaced air intake for ram air. I may need to send ram air back if noise cannot be fixed with replacement valve.
Hey SteveP123456,

Let's see how I can help - shoot me PM with your name, VIN, current odometer reading, dealer, and best daytime phone number, and I'll look further into this.

Nick

Old 07-28-2015, 11:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Using that line of thinking the EB can piggy back on the millions of Duratec V6s that Ford has been making since the late 80s. At least they share more than bellhousing bolt pattern and deck height...

Old 07-29-2015, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by Wookie
Using that line of thinking the EB can piggy back on the millions of Duratec V6s that Ford has been making since the late 80s. At least they share more than bellhousing bolt pattern and deck height...
Not the turbo.

I Looked up the Coyote on Wikipedia. There are several more things that are the same, beginning with the same basic OHC architecture.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not the turbo.

I Looked up the Coyote on Wikipedia. There are several more things that are the same, beginning with the same basic OHC architecture.
About the only other things that are the same are the bore spacing and the Ford logo on the parts. Following that logic the Borg Warner K03s used on the EB date back to the 80s because they are based on a KKK design that has been used for a long time. Or if you would rather because the 84-86 SVO Mustangs used turbos. Both are no more of a reach than what you're trying to say.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by Wookie
About the only other things that are the same are the bore spacing and the Ford logo on the parts. Following that logic the Borg Warner K03s used on the EB date back to the 80s because they are based on a KKK design that has been used for a long time. Or if you would rather because the 84-86 SVO Mustangs used turbos. Both are no more of a reach than what you're trying to say.
Specifically, Ford has been manufacturing OHC V8s far longer and in greater volume than they have been putting turbos on V6s. It's not a stretch to say that the process of trial and error and development has been far more extensive with the OHC V8. A case in point is the issue that the mechanic on YouTube pointed out with the Ecoboost some time ago I believe involving the EGR system. Takada? Given another 5 years, the EcoBoost will probably be even more awesome than it is. I'm not just downing it. I like it in theory.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by Lusso
UPDATE: Turbos are still not delivered. 3 weeks & counting. Dealer said, that they don't even have a delivery date yet. Apparently there is a nation wide shortage of f150 eco boost turbos in Canada. So I called Ford Canada directly & gave them a piece of my mind We'll see what happens now.

Posted from F150online.com App for Android
2014 Ford F-150 FX4 with 108,000kms. Left turbo booster failed; volumes of smoke pouring from the exhaust. I was towing a 4,500 pound RV travel trailer at 100kmp at the time. Went to two Ford Dealerships. They found no codes to indicate the problem, in other words they either didn't know or didn't want to tell me what they did know; that being that left side turbo boosters are prone to fail at the 100,000km mark. They did not show any signs of following old fashion investigation toward my problem, they relied to much on "computer codes". My new found (and honest) local garage found the problem and installed a rebuilt unit received directly from Ford. It failed three days later. A replacement unit was ordered under warranty. My truck sat in the garage for SEVEN weeks waiting for another rebuilt unit from Ford. My truck is being traded in tomorrow for a new Toyota. I have lost total confidence in both Ford and the dealership service personnel.

Found On Road Dead, or Fix Or Repair Daily ...... how true.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd get rid of it too! Seven weeks is absurd, they can't be that hard to get one.

I'm not sure about the Toyota, they are just too big, but hopefully it's what you want.

Quick Reply: 2013 Ecoboost turbo fail