2009 - 2014 F-150

09-13 fuel door cover spring repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing Full Pocket Without Reaching Under Fender

Removing Full Pocket Without Reaching Under Fender
The pocket does not have to be removed by accessing the friction tabs that are under the fender. If you are careful, you can take a small flat head screw driver and insert it at the location of the rectangular slots in the pocket (reference the excellent pictures provided on this thread to see the tabs and the slots). After removing the screws, start at the slot that is at 4 o-clock and place the small flat head screw driver under the rubber gasket and pry upward. Be careful when you insert the screw driver. It only has to go in, and under about 1/8”. Be careful not to damage the gasket. Hold the door as you pry upward and pull gently outward, the friction tab will disengage. Then working counter-clockwise, insert the screw driver as before and pry upward at each of the remaining slots while holding the door and pulling gently outward. You then remove the door by hooking it out toward the tailgate, keep in mind the through bore (hole) in the pocket has to clear the fuel tank neck while hooking it out. It will come out and it goes back in easily.
Just in case you wonder why I did not reach up under the fender it is because I do not have 4 very slender arms that are 4-feet long. No way your average mortal could reach up under the fender and press all the friction tabs at one time. There is no room under there in my 2010 F-150 Crew Cab.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:03 PM
Many Thanks

Just made this repair after using Velcro to keep the dang door shut for months. Worked like a charm!

Old 08-16-2016, 11:27 PM
Just fix mine after about 2 years of using packing tape! It was a easy fix and put a screw and washer to prevent to disassemble again. Thanks for the detailed instructions Pagan696!

Old 10-14-2016, 02:04 PM
Can't get fuel door assembly to budge on 6.5' bed

I can barely reach one of the tabs, the one on the right closest to the rear wheel. Help! IT won't budge!

Old 10-14-2016, 02:09 PM
Ok, just saw StingeyTechs photos. Going to go home and try again.

Quick Reply: 09-13 fuel door cover spring repair