2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Beware of dealer service dept. antics!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beware of dealer service dept. antics!!

Took my '10 FX4 for oil change and tire rotation tonight.

As part of my Purchase Agreement I have "life time no charge oil and lube" but the service rep tries to charge me for "enviromental disposal". I spoke to the dealer general manager and he redirects me to the service manager that wasn't in until tomorrow. So the service rep waives the disposal fee for this oil change but can't the next time unless directed by his boss.

I told them the Purchase Agreement is a legal document but their respones was that my Purchase Agreement "doesn't specify no charge for environmental disposal" what BS.

Then they rotate the tires front to back but the owners' manual indicates a cross rotation.

When I point this out the service rep says they don't cross rotate anymore because the tires are directional. Well I show him they are the original non directional Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires but he says they stopped crossing them because it was causing problems on other vehicles.

Has anyone here this before? More BS?

Oh yea one more thing I checked the oil level prior to going and it was waaaay over filled. I know I should have checked it much earlier but I presumed they couldn't screw that up. WRONG! MY BAD!

I know I have mentioned this on several other posts and I'll say it again I hate going to the dealer for service.

Any advice on the oil disposal fee?

Is it OK not to cross rotate these Pirelli's?

Thanks for any help.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No help, but I had a local dealer change out the plugs on my '08 4.6 about a week ago, no Issues. UNTIL I popped the hood for a truck show and found an empty PLUG BOX in the engine bay, resting nicely against the warm engine block. Why people do rush jobs and don't take pride in their work anymore just infuriates me....

Old 05-16-2012, 10:30 PM
go outside city limits and dumb it in the ground

Old 05-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Unless directional is wrote on the sidewall of the tire with an arrow pointing in the way they are intended to spin you should be able to cross the tires. The shop I work at has adapted a similar policy due to issues with directional tires, vibrations or pulling after rotation we rotate front to back unless otherwise requested by the customer. I don't always follow that as I will cross all or two if I feel that it will make the tires last longer if they are not directional of course. Any time I have been asked by a customer why I did that they are happy to hear that I am trying to make their tires last longer. The last I remember Ford was recommending crossing the tires that were going onto the non-drive axle but that has been awhile.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by jonbar87
go outside city limits and dumb it in the ground
Please don't my water comes from a well and I live out of town. The last thing I want to do is drink your used motor oil. If you raise the issue it is more of a PITA to catch your oil in a jug and give it to you than it is to put it in the usual drainer that they empty into the waste tank.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Tire rotation all depends on what the customer wants, what the manual says, and weather or not there's a directional arrow on the tire....

To avoid disposal fees bring your own container and tell them you want your used oil back.....then bring it to a place that takes it for free......believe it or not theres a market for used oil, some shops up here use it in oil burners for heat in the winter months .....

Old 05-17-2012, 12:00 AM
^ any Autozone or Advanced Auto will take used motor oil.

I worked in a tire shop for a couple years when I was going to school. From my experience crossing tires and reversing tire rotations increases chances of breaking belts.

I rotate my tires front to back & never cross them.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:06 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I'm old school - I NEVER cross-rotate radial tires. In the past, this frequently resulted in broken belts.

Environmental disposal fees may be set by the state and may not be negotiable. Something you need to investigate.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:25 AM
Thanks for all the feedback.

With respect to the oil disposal fee I guess what I really would like to know is whether or not they can legal charge me extra even though they signed a Purchase Agreement that states "no charge oil change and lube"??

Old 05-17-2012, 08:32 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Formula jg
Thanks for all the feedback.

With respect to the oil disposal fee I guess what I really would like to know is whether or not they can legal charge me extra even though they signed a Purchase Agreement that states "no charge oil change and lube"??
Technically and if you want to get legal about it, I think they can charge you for the fee. They did change the oil and they did lube it for free. However, to me, it is stupid to try to build a relationship with a customer by offering free services and then charging them for such a small fee. Just poor business in my estimation.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:36 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I bought my truck used from a L-M dealer, and they gave me "free oil changes for life". They *DID* tell me upfront that this did NOT include the oil filter, that would be $6.95.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Build Tracking Moderator
Regardless of what my owners manual says, my tires never see the other side, not since i started using radial's anyway.
There is money in used oil.
You never said how much the charge is.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:48 AM
As far as the tires are concerned, the dealer should perform the work according to Ford guidelines (cross rotate) unless they talk to you first.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by glc
I'm old school - I NEVER cross-rotate radial tires. In the past, this frequently resulted in broken belts.
X 2 !

Old 05-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by SETCHAN
You never said how much the charge is.
The hazardous waste charge is around $2 here in Cali

Quick Reply: Beware of dealer service dept. antics!!