2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Homelink addition?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would really like to use the entire visor. Does anyone know what years (other than 09-11) that would work in the 2010 F150? I will be hunting the junkyards, craigslist, and ebay...

Old 12-26-2011, 07:46 PM
i recently did this mod myself.... and i have a question for those that have also done it. i used a homelink module out of a chrysler cirrus (cost me $6.50 at a locak pick-n-pull). after installing the unit, i have to say... although it looks great, and cannot tell it isnt from the factory, it has HORRIBLE range. it seems to work better if i pop the visor down for some reason. if i pull straight in towards my door, it works better than if i back in.

one thing i noticed when i disected the module from the donor visor, is that it had a flat aluminum bar stuck onto the visor shell, and it ran directly over top of the module. i can only assume that this was helping with the range????

has anyone else seen this problem, or found a way to fix it? i was going to try to slip the aluminum flat panel into my visor, but wanted to post here first..... thanks!

Old 12-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I ordered my 2009 Lariat, I did not want the rear back up sensors. So I installed the back up camera into my Sony Nav system, them went out and bought a new sunvisor with the Home Link buttons in it. The visor was $379 I think, or some outrageous figure. But, I had to have it. Took me less than 5 minutes to install. You un-hook the wire loom for the visor light and the new visor comes with the identical plug to plug it back in. The only difficult part taking the screws out, and that wasn't a problem at all. Hope this helps.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by trk35
When I ordered my 2009 Lariat, I did not want the rear back up sensors. So I installed the back up camera into my Sony Nav system, them went out and bought a new sunvisor with the Home Link buttons in it. The visor was $379 I think, or some outrageous figure. But, I had to have it. Took me less than 5 minutes to install. You un-hook the wire loom for the visor light and the new visor comes with the identical plug to plug it back in. The only difficult part taking the screws out, and that wasn't a problem at all. Hope this helps.
When I ordered my 2014, I found the XLT had everything I wanted except for the HomeLink garage door opener. I ordered the OEM visor in my interior color with the HomeLink for $199.00. As mentioned above, the visor wiring plug compatibility is the same between the illuminated mirror and combo unit. The only thing I ran into was the ship's side of the wiring is taped to the headliner and it takes a tugging to get it loose. Unless you get it untaped, it's not possible to disconnect the old plug and connect the new visor unit.

I ordered it from www.silversstatefordparts.com and had it in a couple of days. My wife threw away the box before I could get the part# to post here, but the search term was:

body hardware, cab, interior trim, sunvisor CREW CAB, w/illuminated mirror, w/garage opener, adobe Left

Besides never having batteries wear out, I no longer have the keys to my house in the form of the clip-on door opener with my address in the truck available for immediate use of the rip off artist.

This is the third rig I've had HomeLink in and this one pairs to the garage door opener very easily, just as the Owners manual describes. And the range is great.

It still boggles my mind that a vehicle with a list price of $49,135 does not come with a $20 part that 99% of their owners use every day. But, I got even by not shelling out another $7K for a Lariat to get the garage door opener. Or that's what I keep telling myself.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by mattd17
it seems to work better if i pop the visor down for some reason.
It's not just your installation. I have to do the same thing with my F150 and wife's '14 MKZ. Both have the OE Homelink from the factory.

Quick Reply: Homelink addition?