2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Why is ford dumping the limited slip options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm thinking the e-locker was added when the transfer case was offered with an "Auto" mode. I use the Auto mode almost everyday in the woods and like it since there is no hop in the front/rear going around tight gravel corners. I have used the e-locker on occasion and it appears to do its job.

I can't argue that it didn't free up slight mpg though.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am glad my truck has LS, as I do not trust electronics in vehicles.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:41 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dewalt17
I am glad my truck has LS, as I do not trust electronics in vehicles.
???

-PCM
-BSM
-Cluster
-PATS
-Audio
-FPDM
-ABS
-ESOF
-ETC
-Autolights

Wow. Reckon ye needs to dump yer untrustworthy silicon-filled POS E-truck and git ye one o' these...

Fekkkk .. anudder Luddite in a Fiddy ....

MGD

Yo Karl65 - last chance, 'er I'll git ye suspended fer not postin'!

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-16-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
MGD =

Mitch

Old 01-16-2015, 05:15 PM
MGD... altho I like your reply, I think you know he means stuff like the e locker compared to manually locking them. As some of you know I no longer have an f150. I bought a 2014 ram brand new. I have traction control in 2 and 4 wheel of course but in 4wd it seemed to instantly kick in and 2wd had a delay. Well recently I was in 4wd and hit the gas and speedo got up to 40 mph with a slight sideways rotation and traction control never engaged. I think that's what he meant...those electronics never seem to act the same while doing the same things.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by timmypstyle
MGD... altho I like your reply, I think you know he means stuff like the e locker compared to manually locking them...
So an electric motor is good enough to operate the transfer case but not good enough to lock the diff?!? This begs the question, "what electronics can be trusted?" Should he pull his coils and drill a hole in the block for a pointed type distributor? What about the tranny, should the electronic controlled one be dumped in favor of an old C4? Or... Is someone spouting off crap they really don't understand? I'll let you decide for yourself but the answer is pretty clear to me.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:57 AM
Originally Posted by Wookie

So an electric motor is good enough to operate the transfer case but not good enough to lock the diff?!? This begs the question, "what electronics can be trusted?" Should he pull his coils and drill a hole in the block for a pointed type distributor? What about the tranny, should the electronic controlled one be dumped in favor of an old C4? Or... Is someone spouting off crap they really don't understand? I'll let you decide for yourself but the answer is pretty clear to me.
Ahem.....toyotas throttle cables being replaced by ELECTRONIC throttle causing priuses to go A-wall and cause deaths and accidents....Fords having recalls on cruise control units catching fire even after cruise control has been out for years. But if you don't have cruise control, guess what? You don't have to worry about it catching fire...

Old 01-17-2015, 09:06 AM
Ahem.....toyotas throttle cables being replaced by ELECTRONIC throttle causing priuses to go A-wall and cause deaths and accidents....Fords having recalls on cruise control units catching fire even after cruise control has been out for years. But if you don't have cruise control, guess what? You don't have to worry about it catching fire...
Not to belabour the point ( and further derail/threadcrap this thread, lol).

The first is an aberration ( in software) - and not an indicator of the efficacy and reliability of ETC. Millions upon millions of vehicles are running same with no issues. Additioanlly, Ford's design and code does not appear to be experiencing any safety-related concerns with ETC. And many benefits.

The second is more mechanical in nature - faulty garden-variety electro-mechanical pressure switch that's found and used in many applications, with a fluid leak. Bad design - indeed - but not a complex electronic apparatus.

Fact is - electronics have long since become ubiquitous in vehicles, not to mention pervading every facet of everyday existence - including precious F150's. That trend isn't going to stop anytime soon. The benefits vastly outweigh the risks, such as they are and what there is of it.

Having a cable-driven, non-EFI, carb'ed truck with a grammaphone screwed to the dash, while at the same time living in a connected smart home with a multi-zone, monitored security system with cloud-recording cameras to keep the bad guys at bay, while browsing a forum with a wireless handheld device containing more CPU horsepower and storage than a legacy mainframe, while yer smart thermostat manages yer sensor-laden high-efficiency solid-state DC drive fan and CPU-controlled burner array furnace to keep ye family from freezing to death, while pointing yer remote at an 80" curved 4X Smart TV connected to a 500+channel recording set-top box, while Mom is cooking in the kitchen on an induction range, while yer Dad sits in his Laz-Y-Boy reading an e-book, his pacemaker keepin' him alive, while yer lazy self-absorbed siblings are all on their tablets on Farcebook ... is, uh, a non-sequitur, and just a tad hypocritical

Pining aboot the "good ol days?" Guess what - they warn't so good, after all ... there is no going back. Unless you want to live in a cave, off the grid. Squirrel.. it's what's fer dinner!

Ol' Bubber - Luddite Slayer

PS: PM Karl65 fer more tips - he's a Survivalist

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-17-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:22 AM
Lol. Just trying to point out that some of the stuff is a luxury or convenience. Out of my 9 vehicles I've had, old and new, I've never had an electronic system or electric motor of any sort fail. So I'm not arguing that they will fail. The more electronics, the more chances for them to fail. Not saying the good old days were any better... just saying sometimes the stripped down vehicles have less to go wrong. And when things are introduced, they aren't always tested fully or not long enough. We end up being the guinea pigs and things get tweaked or recalled if they are bad enough.

It's like the whole thing about never buying the first year of a new vehicle design or engine design. Look at 97 4.2s with the hydrolock, some new ecoboosts not being able to handle moisture very well, redesigned 5.4l in 04 having lean issues. We are the guinea pigs with new stuff. But look...after a few years they tweak stuff or completely change something to make it work. And that is true with everything you listed in your whole thing about the hypothetical house you spoke of. Whether it be chargers for those devices or whatever(phone batteries melting, burning peoples' faces etc).

I'll wait til my next vehicle at least to try an e locker. By then it will either be deemed a horrible idea, needs tweaking, recalls, or works freaking awesome....

End of hijack.

Last edited by timmypstyle; 01-17-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Lol. Just trying to point out that some of the stuff is a luxury or convenience. Out of my 9 vehicles I've had, old and new, I've never had an electronic system or electric motor of any sort fail. So I'm not arguing that they will fail. The more electronics, the more chances for them to fail. Not saying the good old days were any better... just saying sometimes the stripped down vehicles have less to go wrong. And when things are introduced, they aren't always tested fully or not long enough. We end up being the guinea pigs and things get tweaked or recalled if they are bad enough. It's like the whole thing about never buying the first year of a new vehicle design or engine design. Look at 97 4.2s with the hydrolock, some new ecoboosts not being able to handle moisture very well, redesigned 5.4l in 04 having lean issues. We are the guinea pigs with new stuff. But look...after a few years they tweak stuff or completely change something to make it work. And that is true with everything you listed in your whole thing about the hypothetical house you spoke of. Whether it be chargers for those devices or whatever(phone batteries melting, burning peoples' faces etc). I'll wait til my next vehicle at least to try an e locker. By then it will either be deemed a horrible idea, needs tweaking, recalls, or works freaking awesome.... End of hijack.
I understood what you were saying. There are those if us that are never satisfied with what we have and are constantly looking for ways to "improve" it or just change it for change sake. Others of us are content to let things settle out, get the kinks worked out before we embrace them. Never feeling the need to be on the cutting edge. I am one of the latter, as well.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I understood what you were saying. There are those if us that are never satisfied with what we have and are constantly looking for ways to "improve" it or just change it for change sake. Others of us are content to let things settle out, get the kinks worked out before we embrace them. Never feeling the need to be on the cutting edge. I am one of the latter, as well.
FYI.

Nothing currently being used on an F150 is "cutting edge". It *may* be new as far as use in a pickup goes, but in the industry-at-large, it's all old news.

For certain - employing motorized actuators driven by sensor-enabled logic is positively ancient.

Good grief.

Fer Timmy: - Good fer you, bud - you actually get that Ol' Bubber was jes' messin' wif y'alls

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-17-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:39 PM
Global Moderator &

Maybe that would depend on one's definition of cutting edge. How about changing the wording to new fangled apparatuses.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If that's the case why don't you only drive Model Ts? What level of improvement is good enough for society to say stop making things better?

Old 01-18-2015, 12:50 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Wookie
If that's the case why don't you only drive Model Ts? What level of improvement is good enough for society to say stop making things better?
Why is so difficult for some of you read and understand language? Not caring if I am the first one to have a new concept or design does not mean I will not buy things that appeal to me once they have bugs worked out. It is amazing how words can be perceived to the extreme when one wishes to argue with someone. Just accept that some of us are not as smart as you. Will that work?

Old 01-18-2015, 01:12 PM
Why is so difficult for some of you read and understand language? Not caring if I am the first one to have a new concept or design does not mean I will not buy things that appeal to me once they have bugs worked out. It is amazing how words can be perceived to the extreme when one wishes to argue with someone. Just accept that some of us are not as smart as you. Will that work?
^^^ Ummmm .... can I have a translation?

Simply put, "...As I do not trust electronics in vehicles ..." is purdy unequivocal in my book, context or not.

Jim - please calm down.

Quick Reply: Why is ford dumping the limited slip options?