2009 - 2014 F-150

Dash lights out

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash lights out

Just bought an 09 SCREW two weeks ago, this morning I turned the lights on and no dash lights came on. The gauges work, the gauges wont light up and the radio hvac won't light up. Everything seems to be functioning, the hvac, radio, warning lights, just all the backlighting. Replaced the fuses to no affect. Any ideas? Hate to go back to the dealer and have them keep it a week for soementhing simple.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:33 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the dimmer?

Old 10-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Dimmer will adjust all the way to the right and turn on dome lights but that's it, one its moved the dome lights will turn off but no dash illumination whatsoever.

As an added fact: I left from lunch and the lights came on, played with the dimmer switch everything looked fine then they suddenly went dark again and did not return. Could it be a bad dimmer switch & if so how hard is that to replace on these?

Old 10-10-2011, 03:16 PM
You can't just trun on the dash lights. The dash lights are controlled by a light sensor on your dash close to the windshield. It looks like a black marble. This is one of Ford's better ideas. Not!!!!

Old 10-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Thank you Franzia, I am officicially announcing my candidacy for dumb*** of the month. Covered the sensor and they worked, at lunch I parked under a bridge and then drove out into the sun so that explains everything, this is certainly not one of Ford's best ideas for me in the truck as the windows were just tinted and it was overcast and not really comfortable to see the guages this morning.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:48 PM

^lol, i was going to ask that. Thought maybe you just couldnt tell because the auto lights were selected and thought it was dark out, but i thought nah.

Quick Reply: Dash lights out