2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Has anyone done a conversion to ambient lighting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
you should fill that connector with hot glue to keep the pins from falling off
Is the hot glue nonconducting?

Old 05-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I believe so, he's got them heat shrink insulated anyways

Old 05-30-2013, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
you should fill that connector with hot glue to keep the pins from falling off
That's not a bad idea! I am tempted to find a junkyard with some late model Fords and cut off a few plugs with the hope that one fits, although the hot glue should do OK unless it got really hot down there close to the transmission tunnel. I wonder if the twin turbo adds more waste heat than the normally aspirated engines?

Old 06-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Update: It's in and almost finished. I installed it along with the kicker soundgate audio system at the same time..... everything being totally pulled apart made this a breeze. I have the rear LED's exactly like Formula JG did ( great idea!!!) and ended up making the drivers side LED mounting bracket out of aluminum, placing it above the gas pedal. The passenger side is very limited for space, so it is on the factory metal bracket next to the console. Tasca'a center console that I ordered did not ship until Friday, so I wired everything to be real easy to hook up the cup holder when it arrives this week. I mounted the switch that comes with the kit in the small change tray so I can use the system until the new tray with the factory switch is here. Looks really cool now... and when I get the ring cup holder in.... it's going to be really cool! FYI: The power wire's color has changed for 2013.... same position.. #6, but it is yellow/green now.
Thanks for everyone's help!

Old 06-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Cessnac,
You'll find that if the front footwell LEDs are installed pointing anywhere but down to the floor they will cast a dark shadow when driver or pass feet are down there. When first installed it really bugged me so I changed it up to have them facing straight down (fyi).

Old 06-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks, I aimed them straight down and they look a lot better! I finished the cup holder ring and it looks great! I will post some finished pic's later on today. And the wiring works exactly like you said! By chance did you ever try experimenting with the wiring on the left side switch sun over foot button to see if a combination made the switches light up? I was thinking of trying a hook up with the lighting from the shift selector. Obviously the 2nd black is a ground wire, and I was going to check the output voltage with my meter for the PRNMD lighted unit as I am not sure if Ford reduces the 12V to the LED's on board or at the source.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:13 PM
cessnac,
Both my switch light up when the all the other ambient lighting comes on.

I want to add a few more LEDs just like the small round ones we're using at the lower rear center console, any idea where to get them?

Last edited by Formula jg; 06-09-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Formula jg
cessnac,
Both my switch light up when the all the other ambient lighting comes on.

I want to add a few more LEDs just like the small round ones we're using at the lower rear center console, any idea where to get them?
IM going to double check how I have it wired against yours as neither switch lights up.
Here is the Ford part breakout from Tasca that has the LED's. I would think it is #5 but it may just be the lens, so I would call them
http://www.tascaparts.com/parts/2010...agramCallOut=5

Old 06-10-2013, 09:07 PM
The Tasca description does say 'Lamp' however I don't think the factory installed LEDs at that location are the same as the LEDs we repurposed from cup holder lighting to lower rear console lighting.

If thats gonna be the case then I'm not sure how those factory 'Lamps' are secured in place because I believe the OEM console had a molded design that housed those 2 rear console LEDs.

Thanks for the direct link.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:29 PM
I spent some time on the phone with Tasca and basically this is what we came up with.

Item #5 in your last link is the retaining bezel for the the LED at the rear console as shown here:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...w=230918315381

The LED lamps are these:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...w=281056231028

Old 06-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Man.... there really proud of those... ouch! I guess it is the multi colors that make the cost so high!

Old 06-13-2013, 08:32 AM
There must be some other supplier of similar small multi-color (I think they're referred to as RGB?)LEDs.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:34 PM
I love the feature having just bought a Platinum, however I would like the floor areas a hint brighter. I plan to add a couple more for this purpose. I am a little disappointed that the rear cup holders are not included in the lighting package - neither factory or accessory. Has anyone attempted to use the dogbone ring on the rear cupholders or is there another ford model that uses the rings? May have to spend an afternoon in a local salvage yard.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:39 PM
I know this is an old thread and FormulaJG has been a lot of help! I was wondering if anyone else who commented could send me some pictures of their install etc. I am having a very hard time finding the pins needed to insert into the factory module in the light kit as Formula mentions, so I was wondering how everyone else did it and if anyone spliced and soldered. Or if you found the pins and connectors where you got them from. Thanks guys!

Old 05-30-2016, 01:41 AM
Reviving the thread again. I bought the same parts as well and will be doing the install this week. Ill try to post some picks and what I come up with on the electrical pin issue. I may try Radio Shack first.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a conversion to ambient lighting?