2009 - 2014 F-150

JL Stealth box vs MTX thunderform vs any other Ideas??(stereo help)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JL Stealth box vs MTX thunderform vs any other Ideas??(stereo help)

Ok first a little rant. The stereo in my 2011 f150 Fx4 is TERRIBLE! Absolutley useless. You'd think 40 grand for a truck would get you at least something half decent, granted its just the base set up but still!

Ok now that thats out of the way i'm looking to add a stereo to my truck.
I've been looking at the JL stealth box but the price is steep(750 bucks) and then i'd need an amp on top of that. I've also been looking at the MTX thunderform set up that I could get for $550 amped, but I dought the sound would be as good. Also I have a local shop that wants up use a 3 channel amp to amplify the JL and replace the front door speakers and replace the door speakers with some round Hertz units, but this will set me back over 2 grand

So just looking for a little imput/suggestions!

Thanks guys!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:55 AM
I just ordered an new box for a single 10 and an image dynamics 10 from Supercrew sound for $288 shipped. Then I ordered a 5 channel amp, door speakers (Infinity Kappa coax for now), sound proecessor, amp power kit, and a wiring harness to prevent splicing my wires behind the dash. All of this cost me about $1100. I still have to buy some RCA's and a few odds and ends but I thought the price was pretty good. All I'm waiting for is the box and some free time and I'm going to install everything. Can't wait.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:04 AM
SCab or SCrew?

JL will sound the best but I don't think its worth paying another $500 for a slight improvement in SQ, unless you are trying to compete in a competition. Go with the thunderforms and pick out your own sub/amp combo. Also check out eBay

Ebay has great custom boxes; some come with subs mounted.
Screw:
http://stores.ebay.com/Rodneys-Custo...34.c0.m3221111

Scab:
http://stores.ebay.com/Rodneys-Custo...=p4634.c0.m322

Old 09-14-2011, 10:09 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Duneracer
I just ordered an new box for a single 10 and an image dynamics 10 from Supercrew sound for $288 shipped. Then I ordered a 5 channel amp, door speakers (Infinity Kappa coax for now), sound proecessor, amp power kit, and a wiring harness to prevent splicing my wires behind the dash. All of this cost me about $1100. I still have to buy some RCA's and a few odds and ends but I thought the price was pretty good. All I'm waiting for is the box and some free time and I'm going to install everything. Can't wait.
Same here... going to do that ID sub and box as well. Going to be until the spring until I get that though.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you have the SCREW get the loaded probox that comes with the 2-8" subs in it that mounts under the back seat. you still have to get your own amp and i recommend a remote bass controller **** so you can control your bass levels with ease. change out the door speakers too.

i guarantee you wont be disappointed with the probox with 2-8s. i know i know, you're thinking "2-8s?? F that i want 2-12s!!" well i can tell you from personal experience that those 2-8s sound better than any JL/rockford/kicker 10s and 12s i have had in custom boxes. the 2-8s still hit super hard and they have a very clean sound to them. its all about the design of that ported probox and the subs they pair it up with.

it took me forever to put my ego aside and listen to my buddy that told me all along to go with the probox with 8s. my only regret is that i didn't listen to him 10 years earlier. LOL

Old 09-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Go to supercrewsound.com... They have an awesome box. Also dont buy an amp for the doors and subs together. Buy a separate amp for both. You will save a bunch of money by going to sonicelectronix.com and buying all the stuff you want then having a reputable installer hook it all up.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:59 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custo...item53e63ad9f8

I did this kit, but updated the subs and amp to Kicker cvt's and a soundstream 600W for 500 even.

Box fits perfect and it sounds amazing.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Milt IV
if you have the SCREW get the loaded probox that comes with the 2-8" subs in it that mounts under the back seat. you still have to get your own amp and i recommend a remote bass controller **** so you can control your bass levels with ease. change out the door speakers too.

i guarantee you wont be disappointed with the probox with 2-8s. i know i know, you're thinking "2-8s?? F that i want 2-12s!!" well i can tell you from personal experience that those 2-8s sound better than any JL/rockford/kicker 10s and 12s i have had in custom boxes. the 2-8s still hit super hard and they have a very clean sound to them. its all about the design of that ported probox and the subs they pair it up with.

it took me forever to put my ego aside and listen to my buddy that told me all along to go with the probox with 8s. my only regret is that i didn't listen to him 10 years earlier. LOL
Do you have one of these? If I'm looking at that thing correctly, is the port rear-facing? That seems counter intuitive.

I have one of the supercrew boxes in my '09 right now and am sick of it because all it does is vibrate the whole truck. This due to the fact that the subs are 1/2 inch off the steel floor.

I was recently thinking of doing some sort of small sub setup where I'd have a ported box and have the port(s) face forward (towards the back of the center console).

I like what I see in that probox (first I've heard of them), but if that port is facing backwards, that's ridiculous.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the replies so far, my truck is a FX4 ext cab

Old 09-14-2011, 10:11 PM
would replacing the door speakers with out amplifing them make a huge diffrence? also I dont see the cut out for the rear seat mount in the ebay boxes?

Old 09-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by 2004f1505.4x4
would replacing the door speakers with out amplifing them make a huge diffrence? also I dont see the cut out for the rear seat mount in the ebay boxes?
I actually have the extended cab version with the notch out in it. If you search on ebay "2010 f-150 sub" it will come up. I traded in my ext cab for a screw and currently have the ext. cab box in my screw. For the price it is an amazing setup. Even comes with the wiring kit. The only other think you need is a line out converter. Install for everything took me 2 hrs. running all the cable and hooking everything up.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Hmm interesting, I honestly like those proboxes I've been eyeing hem up for awhile

Old 09-14-2011, 10:48 PM
I don't think probox makes one for the 09 and up do they?

Old 09-14-2011, 10:51 PM
I didnt have an amp on my aftermarket door speakers for a long time and they sound 100x better than the stock ones.. But if you want your truck to sound like a concert, your gonna want a good 400 watt 4 channel amp for the door speakers.. Kicker has been my go to company for years with amps becasue unlike other companies they underrate their amps. So if you get a ZX400, expect to get atleast 450 out of it.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Milt IV

Love your truck...and I agree....I had 4 8's in my 05 and I loved them. They hit so clean and fast. It's hard to describe until you hear them.

Quick Reply: JL Stealth box vs MTX thunderform vs any other Ideas??(stereo help)