2009 - 2014 F-150

2011 Dealer rip off

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 03:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Dealer rip off

Just bought a brand new 2011 XLT 4X4 Off Road Screw. I used my friends "friends and neighbors" X plan. However when I was dealing with the salesman we got to talking about family and Mustangs and he assumed I was qualified for the family plan (A plan). I presented an X plan pin number however they never checked it and gave me the A plan price. Money was payed (cash) along with my trade in (2005 XLT Screw) for $9000. Contract completed and drove off the lot. The next day I get a call back stating my pin number was X plan only and they need $1628 because they applied the wrong plan. I silently laughed and told them I was not going to pay the extra money. Now they are trying to get me to wheel and deal for some accessories to offset the difference (spray on bed liner, splash guards, ARE topper). What do you all think of this and do they have any leg to stand on? Should I just go tell them to pound salt?

Old 05-13-2011, 04:15 AM
Suspended
were you aware of the error? if so morals should play into it.

if you paid cash, i don't see there being much they can do about it. but if they try to force you to pay the difference some how, i'd bring back the truck and drive your old one home.

assuming xplan you were at ~$150 above invoice. dealers have atleast $1200 hold back so in reality they are out of pocket ~$300 at max, which i am sure their is more held back in price than that. i'd tell them to **** off and see where it gets you.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:08 AM
I curious what, if anything, they can do legally. I have no intention of paying the extra $1600. If the roles were reversed I'm sure they would not be calling me saying they found another $1000 off the price, if I already signed the contract and drove off with the truck. I was not aware they made an error in plans. I provided the proper pin and they should have checked it first.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:57 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not your problemo! A signed contract is what it is!

Old 05-13-2011, 06:14 AM
signed contract. all numbers in writing. paid for in full. they screwed up. you knew nothing of it. sorry they are screwed on this one.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only hope they have is if they can prove you knew they were giving you the A-plan price and you said nothing about it. That burden of proof would be on them and from the limited details provided above it would be a hard assertion for them to validate. That would give them an actionalbe position but would far from guarantee them obtaining a ruling against you.

Overall, given the amount of money involved it's unlikely they would take any legal action in regard to this matter as it wouldn't be worth it for them. This is also evident by the fact they are trying to "deal" with you on accessories etc. Given the high margin they make on accessories they're clearly trying to entice you to get some of their money back [their profit on the accessories].

The fact they called you the next day asking for more $$$ is one of those deals that borders on ballsy / stupid lol.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Finally a stealership gets what they usually deserve. I say tell them to pound salt and smile real big when you tell them. They certainly would not call you if it was reversed. They would probably get a bonus for ripping you off a tad more. And them trying to do the accessory thing to offset...they would probably overcharge you on that too so they could squeeze a few more bucks out you.

You think a few stelerships have left a bad taste in my mouth lol.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:10 AM
Just to raise a different thought: I really hope that you won't have to go back to this dealer for warranty work, especially on anything that may be a subjective call if its covered or not....

Old 05-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Icuffm2
I curious what, if anything, they can do legally. I have no intention of paying the extra $1600. If the roles were reversed I'm sure they would not be calling me saying they found another $1000 off the price, if I already signed the contract and drove off with the truck. I was not aware they made an error in plans. I provided the proper pin and they should have checked it first.

I received a check from a dealership when they realized there was an error on a car I bought years ago. Don't trust what you read here. Seek out the advice of an attorney. Many will give you a free consultation.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:55 AM
It's there problem.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:07 PM
This is a tough one. If a bank was making a transfer to your acct and hit too many zero's they could go back and make it right. I wonder if this can be the same thing? They "accidently" hit A plan over X plan, accounting realized the mistake because the pin # isn't valid for A-plan and now you guys need to renegotiate (pay the difference) or turn the truck back in.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Or the dealer can file a complaint in Small Claims Court. Then the Judge will decide.

Lots of legal options on this one.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:56 PM
When I bought my truck I negotiated a great deal and drove it home. the next day they called me and said the deal didn't work and they needed to re-negotiate or they wanted the truck back. I ignored the calls for a while (putting 200 miles a day on the truck). Finally, they called and left a message saying somebody was coming to get the truck, so, I went in to talk (truck had about 3500 miles at this point). We tried to work a new deal but they were trying to take all my money so I told them to take the truck back, detail it and put it back out on the lot as a "slightly used" truck for a discounted price. I'd go ahead and wait in the lobby until they were done then buy it again for cheaper. I walked out with the same deal i had before, 2 hats and jacket. Not quite the same situation but similar. But, I'd still listen to this guy:
Originally Posted by Real Sniper
Don't trust what you read here. Seek out the advice of an attorney. Many will give you a free consultation.
CYA, just incase

Old 05-13-2011, 02:03 PM
I also totally agree with the advice from Real Sniper to cover your back side!

Don't trust what you read here. Seek out the advice of an attorney. Many will give you a free consultation.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Icuffm2
Just bought a brand new 2011 XLT 4X4 Off Road Screw. I used my friends "friends and neighbors" X plan. However when I was dealing with the salesman we got to talking about family and Mustangs and he assumed I was qualified for the family plan (A plan). I presented an X plan pin number however they never checked it and gave me the A plan price. Money was payed (cash) along with my trade in (2005 XLT Screw) for $9000. Contract completed and drove off the lot. The next day I get a call back stating my pin number was X plan only and they need $1628 because they applied the wrong plan. I silently laughed and told them I was not going to pay the extra money. Now they are trying to get me to wheel and deal for some accessories to offset the difference (spray on bed liner, splash guards, ARE topper). What do you all think of this and do they have any leg to stand on? Should I just go tell them to pound salt?
Sounds to me like an honest mistake on their part. I may try to get them to meet in the middle, or something along those lines, just because I would feel bad taking advantage of someone else's mistake. Maybe agree to buy the bed liner and splash guards from them if they keep the same deal you have.

Honestly, though, the dealer should suck it up and eat it since it was there mistake.

Originally Posted by Ex Chevy Lover
When I bought my truck I negotiated a great deal and drove it home. the next day they called me and said the deal didn't work and they needed to re-negotiate or they wanted the truck back. I ignored the calls for a while (putting 200 miles a day on the truck). Finally, they called and left a message saying somebody was coming to get the truck, so, I went in to talk (truck had about 3500 miles at this point). We tried to work a new deal but they were trying to take all my money so I told them to take the truck back, detail it and put it back out on the lot as a "slightly used" truck for a discounted price. I'd go ahead and wait in the lobby until they were done then buy it again for cheaper. I walked out with the same deal i had before, 2 hats and jacket. Not quite the same situation but similar.
This one is a different story. They were a bunch of jack-weeds in your case. I think you handled it well!

Quick Reply: 2011 Dealer rip off