2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Extended Service Plans

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dr.J
has any one priced one from their dealer compared to buying it on line.
Yep. Fordwarrantys.com was considerably less expensive than my local dealer.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by High-ster
Financial advisors say ESP's are a loser's bet. You are wagering the vehicle is gonna break down within a given time period. It already has a 3 year warranty and you are wagering it's gonna break down beyond the original 3 years, but before another 4 years go by. Then the break-down has to cost more than what you paid for the policy.
it might be a losers bet to these advisers till you have to fork out thousands for a engine or trans and other big ticket items its kinda like your vehicle insurance why pay for full coverage when the chances are you wont get into a accident.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:29 PM
http://www.myfordwarranty.com (which REDIRECTS you to http://www.floodfordesp.com/) appears to be the Winner on price.

If you compare the SAME FORD ESP with the same on

www.fordwarrantys.com

and the original FORD website (http://www.flmowner.com/servlet/Cont.../ESPWizardStep)

FOR EXAMPLE . . .

Quoting a 7 year / 75,000 mile ESP with $100 deductible. PREMIUM CARE PKG.

FORD WEBSITE = 1,770
FORDWARRANTYS.COM = 1,390
myfordwarranty.com = 930

The two independent sites claim they are selling a FORD ESP (the same one sold by dealers).

SO. . . . why the substantial savings? (what is the big difference)?????

Originally Posted by blieb
This is the best priced one I have found ... looking at pulling the trigger in the next month or so.

http://www.myfordwarranty.com/

I believe you can buy an extended warranty as long as the vehicle is under original factory warranty. As someone who just paid $1k for AC repair on my wife's 2005 FORD Sedan (with 55k miles), I'm splurging on an extended warranty. That car would still have another 2 years of coverage at the max warranty level!

It's a gamble ... but auto repair is an expensive beast. Hell, live is an expensive beast!

Old 12-01-2010, 07:31 PM
A SAMPLE contract can be found here . .

http://www.floodfordesp.com/Ford%20E...ontractESP.pdf

Old 12-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Old 12-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by gregsf150stx
http://www.myfordwarranty.com (which REDIRECTS you to http://www.floodfordesp.com/) appears to be the Winner on price.

If you compare the SAME FORD ESP with the same on

www.fordwarrantys.com

and the original FORD website (http://www.flmowner.com/servlet/Cont.../ESPWizardStep)

FOR EXAMPLE . . .

Quoting a 7 year / 75,000 mile ESP with $100 deductible. PREMIUM CARE PKG.

FORD WEBSITE = 1,770
FORDWARRANTYS.COM = 1,390
myfordwarranty.com = 930

The two independent sites claim they are selling a FORD ESP (the same one sold by dealers).

SO. . . . why the substantial savings? (what is the big difference)?????
I bought the ESP on the wife's Taurus X from myfordwarranty.com as they were the cheapest I could find. I believe they were Santucci Ford back then, so they were probaly bought by someone else. The dealers get to set their own prices on the warranties, so it's just a matter of how much money they want to make on them. The site is legit, the ESPs are the same, and I plan on using them again for my truck when the timing is appropriate.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Great feedback! And they appear to have the cheapest price (so far).

It does appear that the sites are just dealers reselling the same product you can buy off the FORD website.

I was looking at the 7 year 75,000 PREMIUM @ $930.
I am below 10,000 miles a year.

And ESP is a gamble...more peace of mind than anything.

Originally Posted by juneau76
I bought the ESP on the wife's Taurus X from myfordwarranty.com as they were the cheapest I could find. I believe they were Santucci Ford back then, so they were probaly bought by someone else. The dealers get to set their own prices on the warranties, so it's just a matter of how much money they want to make on them. The site is legit, the ESPs are the same, and I plan on using them again for my truck when the timing is appropriate.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Looks like they got bought by another.

Flood Ford ESP Sales
21 Woodruff Ave.
Naragansett, RI 02882

Old 12-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by High-ster
Financial advisors say ESP's are a loser's bet. You are wagering the vehicle is gonna break down within a given time period. It already has a 3 year warranty and you are wagering it's gonna break down beyond the original 3 years, but before another 4 years go by. Then the break-down has to cost more than what you paid for the policy.
Well, the financial advisors are wrong.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by johnwill
Well, the financial advisors are wrong.
Well, don't take their word, google it.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...ranties-ov.htm

I bought two in the past and lost money on both. Kept both cars for 10 years.

I bought a 4 year on my plasma TV. 4 years have gone by and the TV never even had a service call.

And if you roll it into your financing, it ends up costing lots more than the initial price.

Last edited by High-ster; 12-02-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I have never purchased an extended warranty on any product and the money I have saved would replace anything that goes bad with money leftover. The warranty program is one of the biggest profit centers for a dealer for a reason. They literally cry when you won't purchase their extended warranty. The finance guy at my dealer got quiet when I asked him if he did not expect my truck to last beyond Ford's warranty. I have 111,000 on this truck and spent $350 that would have been covered by the extended warranty.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I have never purchased an extended warranty on any product and the money I have saved would replace anything that goes bad with money leftover. The warranty program is one of the biggest profit centers for a dealer for a reason. They literally cry when you won't purchase their extended warranty. The finance guy at my dealer got quiet when I asked him if he did not expect my truck to last beyond Ford's warranty. I have 111,000 on this truck and spent $350 that would have been covered by the extended warranty.
Same here. I never buy extended warranties either. Put 70,000 miles on my '04 Lariat and only had $400 in repairs that would have been covered by extended warranty. I have the money in savings to make any repair and I am earning interest on that money.

I do see where having the extended warranty gives you peace of mind if you know you can't afford a major repair when it arises.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
They literally cry when you won't purchase their extended warranty. The finance guy at my dealer got quiet when I asked him if he did not expect my truck to last beyond Ford's warranty. I have 111,000 on this truck and spent $350 that would have been covered by the extended warranty.
My stealer even tried to sell me an extended warranty on my 18" wheels. $500 for six years. I was told "Because they crack". They aren't covered from hitting something and just denting them, or knocking them out-of-true. They have to be broken. I told them if that's the case, I'll use my vehicle insurance.

That was after I informed them I didn't want the ESP. Then he yammered on for about 10 minutes.

I finally had to say "Let's move on, I'm in a hurry". About 5 times.

Last edited by High-ster; 12-02-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:44 AM
I bought an 04 Grand Cherokee used with 30k miles on it in 2008. I got the ESP. It paid off, as I had to replace most of the front end, shocks, struts, etc last year. The bill I saw for the work had $2k on it. All I paid was my deductible.

When I bought my 10 Screw, I really wasn't going to get it. But the finance guy said he'd throw in a 5 year/75k bumper to bumper, buy down my interest rate to 1.9, and my payment went up $5 a month. Couldn't pass that up.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Bluejay - have you forgone homeowners insurance too? What about health insurance? Life insurance? ________ insurance?

It's always the same argument. They have to make money or else they wouldn't sell them.

On my 4x4 platinum, the 6yr / 100k warranty with a $50 deductible was $1520.

I had just traded in my 2007 Envoy that I was wrenching on too much. I'd rather not have to use the warranty ever - but now if I do, a rental car is covered (from day 1) and I don't sweat it.

The argument of "If I thought the vehicle was going to need an extended warranty I wouldn't buy it to begin with" is just so out of touch. I used to think that way - but when you get beyond that you'll realize that there are no guarantee's in life. Humans design and build these machines, there are variances, etc. Overall they are good but who can tell if you bought a bad one? Edmunds (I think it was Edmunds) did a study on extended warranty's. Guess what - most people's repair costs do not exceed the purchase price of the warranty - big surprise right?

What matters here though is the difference between warranty cost and covered repairs - surprisingly to me it was only $200.

The dealer should be selling these with this dollar factor. Chances are you'll lose ~200 dollars on this warranty, but if you're in the 3-5% you'll make $2k on it. What's more important than that, you won't be working on your car when you should be spending time with your family, you won't be bumming rides or leaving the wife at home without a car, etc.

Worth $200? To me, yes - but to each our own.

Last edited by schaibaa; 12-02-2010 at 01:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Extended Service Plans