Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Extended Service Plans

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended Service Plans

What's your opinion? Are they worth it?

I didn't get one with my 1997 F-150 XLT SCAB because the technology wash pretty basic IMO. That turned out to be the right decision. Never needed. First, major bucks repair was several years into owning the truck. However, we got one with my 2002 Windstar SLE minivan that was loaded with lots of options and used it on some automatic door issues.

Now, the 2010 F-150 FX4 SCREW I just bought, seems like the technology is more leading edge but I'm thinking the SYNC here and not the powertrain or other mechanical moving parts that I think tend to fail more often that solid state devices.

I have a promotion code to save $200 if I buy a plan by the end of today. Then again, they wouldn't sell ESPs if they didn't make a profit on them. Hmmm...

Old 08-19-2010, 11:15 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
The only ESP I'd buy is the genuine Ford ESP. I wouldn't touch a 3rd party one with a 10 foot pole.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:36 PM
I agree with glc. I have bought them for the last three F-150s I have owned, but all were Ford ESP plans. Third party insurers are very risky.

On my 1999 SCab flairside 5.4, the ESP paid for itself when all the A/C parts had to be replaced. I got a good deal on that ESP.

On my 2004 Screw XLT 5.4, I just about broke even. I stilll have that truck but no more warranty or ESP.

My 2009 Lariat SCrew 4x4 is still under warranty. It is a gamble, but there are several things that could go wrong and cost more than my Ford ESP did.

I usually don't buy warranties on electronics unless it is a large flat screen HD TV.

Warranties are gambles. They are are very profitable for the dealership (commission) and Ford.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:02 PM
It's a genuine Ford ESP. You can get those from any dealer during or after the sale--even online from an out of state dealer. Just have to buy it before your car is 12 months old or has 12,000 miles on it. I understand it's a gamble. I guess I want to use everyone's opinions to figure out the odds.

Last edited by markinzeroland; 08-19-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling error.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The least expensive I've found is www.fordwarrantys.com and you can buy them any time, even after the first 12 months, but they may require an inspection.

Give them a call. They'll explain everything.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:37 PM
I never purchase a vehicle without one... aside from this Supercrew, it was too old. I always purchase the best one that is manufacturer supported/backed. I got a Mazda CPO warranty with my 6 and I had a Volvo VIP warranty with my S70 that I used to have.

No extended warranty is administered by the manufacturer itself so in esscesnce, they are all third party based. Certain companies get endorsements from the manufacturer so they can be sold under that manufacturers name, but they are an outside entities entirely.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I have never bought one for any vehicle or product and have never regretted it. Never had anything go wrong when an extended warranty would still be in effect. The money I have saved will more than pay for something that does go wrong, some day. It's one of the largest profit centers for dealers, so that should tell you something.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:46 PM
The only reason I am so pro-esp is that I worked as a service advisor for Volvo for 5 years and Dodge for two years before that and I know that when the DO need to be used, they usually pay for themselves... especially on a premium brand car. I dealt with the struggles of people not having them and (on the flip side) the relief of people that initially reluctantly purchased them- day in and day out. I'd rather shell out a grand or two more for a HUGE peice of mind than not have it.

Plus, IMHO when you are spending nearly $40k on a decent vehicle anyway these days, what's another $1500 to cover all the gigalophonic BS that is integrated into the vehicle.

Last edited by Lenn02Screw; 08-19-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I have bought one with my cars and trucks for years and they have always paid for themselves. I use the ones offered by my credit union. They are for more miles and have a $0 co-pay. I have never had an issue when dealing with them. Plus they are at least $1000 cheaper then Ford.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
They can be worth it if you don't over pay for it, and keep your vehicle through the length of the warranty, and don't do much of the work yourself.

It's not as expensive as it sounds. Say for example you pay $1500 for it, and then it covers $1300 of misc repairs. On one hand you could say that you would have saved $200 without it, and on the other hand you could say it cost you $200 to to ensure you were covered in case of a major drive train repair, and the fact that you did not have that major repair on your truck is even better yet.

I think I was looking at 8 year 75k with a small deductible for $1200, but opted to spend more for the 100k option. That's worth it. It's so darn easy to get into a $400 repair these days.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:45 PM
I've never seen so many people supporting ESPs; it's refreshing. On other sites, most people call them a waste of money. I say to get one and go with the Ford ESP only like everyone else. Got burned on the last truck with a 3rd party; no more. I found the cheapest site to be http://www.myfordwarranty.com/. They have Charlie's site beat on price...sorry, Charlie.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:35 PM
For most people the extended warranty is a ripoff. Your engine and tranny are already covered by the factory warranty for 60,000 miles. That equals 4 years of coverage if you drive the average 15k a year.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I have bought 8 new vehicles in my life. The only money I spent on those where an extended warranty might have paid for the repair was a front rotor on my current truck. That cost me $150, plus my time to replace. I have kept all of these vehicles at least 10 years and near or over 100,000 miles. If I did not think the vehicle would last without having an extended warranty, I would not buy it. That is what I told the guy at the dealer that tried to sell me the last one. he said everyone needs the piece of mind and the coverage. You never know when an engine or transmission will let go. I told him that if he did not think the truck was going to last beyond the Ford warranty, I needed to reconsider buying the truck. He grinned and said no more about it.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:07 AM
This is how I feel on the subject...

Just Say "No" to Extended Warranties
link: http://www.daveramsey.com/article/ju...y_automobiles/

Old 08-20-2010, 06:05 AM
I've owned many vehicles over the years and a good number of F150's. I've purchased the extended warranty on the F150's going as far back as 1993. I have yet to take advantage of the coverage the extended warranty provides. My 1993 Cobra is the only car/truck I've owned that the money spent on the extended warranty was well spent.

That said, I still buy the extra coverage each time I buy a new vehicle. The only part of the puzzle that I question is how many extra years and miles. For me, it's just peace of mind that I'm covered (or should be) if something happens.

Heck, my 07 now has 97K on the clock. It had one warranty repair back when it was only a few months old and that's it. Even with that, I don't feel that I wasted my money on the coverage.

Just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Extended Service Plans