2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

sCrew Seat Seat Latch Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sCrew Seat Seat Latch Mod

Well i finally spared five minutes for the seat latch mod i have had in mind and it works great.

Items needed:
about 18" of 1/16" aircraft cable
four 1/16" cable crimps
Tools:
torx bit and ratchet
band saw, dremel tool, pneumatic cut off tool or similar

Remove the seat latch from the seat
clamp into bench vice if using anything other than dremel
cut 1" tab off of the top of the latch bracket (marked by red line in second pic)
run cable through return spring hole, cinch down, and crimp
cut small hole in fabric above latch
run cable through hole in fabric
make loop, place crimp on cable, crimp and trim extra off.
repeat for other side.

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 5864
Size:  66.4 KB
Name:  download1.jpg
Views: 5458
Size:  53.1 KB
Name:  download2.jpg
Views: 6199
Size:  53.6 KB

Video: uploading now, will make new post with video.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:36 PM
rok
I like that alot.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Some people will never use the room behind their seat but i am about to build an amp rack that will hold everything. It would be a great place to store jumper cables or other stuff you hope you don't need everyday.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:29 AM
i can not get mine to fold down any ideas what to do? i have tired it a few times with no luck.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:38 AM
if you have the sliding back glass you can open the glass so you can stick the top of your head out and get a better view behind the seat. the passenger side was easy, you could pull it with your finger but the driver side was much tougher. I used the cable to stick back there and "rope" the release lever, then was able to pull on the cable.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Technical Article Contributor

nice work

Old 08-20-2010, 12:02 PM
I think i am going to redoux it and place heat shrink from one crimp to the other. just leave the loop out of the heat shrink just to make it look neater.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:07 PM
I just released the latch after removing the headrest and they came forward. I had no idea that they even moved, great post very useful.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Just did this mod today with just a little twist. And I hope this is not stepping on Kelly350x toes I just found a different way to do it and thought I would share. Both Kelly350x or my way still gets the job done..lol Check out the pictures and tell me what you think.

First: I removed the latch's from the seat back's. Then took a small drill bit and drilled the post on the out side of the latch (just above the V notch in the latch)

Second : I found some 6" steel fishing leader with eyelets on both ends and feed one end through the hole I drilled in the latch post

Third: Then taking the steel leader and feeding one end throught the other end's eyelet and pulling it tight

Last: I found some large key rings laying around and put it on the loose end of the steel leader as a test fit .As you can see in the picture finished just need to install back in truck seat.

Once I reinstalled the latches back on the seats I eyedballed where to make a small cut in the back of the seat for the steel leader to come through one I feed it under the fabric and throught the small hole I reintaleed the larger key ring and BINGO you have a latch release and your finger tips..
Let me know what youy think..

Old 08-21-2010, 02:50 AM
not to worry, no toes were stepped on. If my latches were the same as yours I probably would have just used the zip tie trick. I dont know why some trucks have different latches that others. A coworker has a King Ranch and his latches are like mine then the Platinum i got the grill from has the latches like yours.. All three are 10's

What model is your truck?

Old 08-21-2010, 03:53 AM
thanks OP, my 10 looks like yours... I have not tried this yet but one issue I had when playing with it was getting the seat to latch closed again. How does that work for you?

thx

Last edited by Tap In; 08-21-2010 at 03:58 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by kelley350x
not to worry, no toes were stepped on. If my latches were the same as yours I probably would have just used the zip tie trick. I dont know why some trucks have different latches that others. A coworker has a King Ranch and his latches are like mine then the Platinum i got the grill from has the latches like yours.. All three are 10's

What model is your truck?
I have the 2010 FX4 Screw with 6.5 bed.
Yeah I noticed that to that your latch is a little different then mine. You would think they would all be the same and even better yet that what we are doing to gain access to the rear seat would of been thought of by Ford when the truck was still on the drawing board..

Old 09-01-2010, 08:19 PM
OK, I have been holding back asking these questions but I'm gonna tuck my tail between my legs and ask:
Where is this latch mechanisim and how do I access it?

Old 09-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Formula jg
OK, I have been holding back asking these questions but I'm gonna tuck my tail between my legs and ask:
Where is this latch mechanisim and how do I access it?
Only silly question is an unasked question.. No worries..

If you look behind the rear back seat just below the head rest you will see the latch. And on the side of the latch you will see a silver looking pin (see above post and pic for reference) you need to eaither squeaze you hand down and pull the post up or try to use a old shoe lace with a loop on the end and loop the post and pull up and that will gane you access to the seat and it will fold down. But keep this in mind once you have the seat free from the back wall try no to hit the bar the latch hooks to or you will be trying to realigen it with the latch and that in itself is a real booger to do.. If you have any problems or other question feel free to ask and I'll try to walk you throught it and post some pictures if you need them..

Last edited by rob1211; 09-01-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Hey thanks a lot rob.
I got some catching up to do between this mod and the LED mirror turn signal mod and I just don't want to put it off any longer it's already September!

Quick Reply: sCrew Seat Seat Latch Mod