2009 - 2014 F-150

New F-150, wipers won't turn off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New F-150, wipers won't turn off?

I returned from Iraq last week and picked up my 2010 F-150 SC FX4. After leaving the lot I discovered my windshield wipers won't turn off after turning them on. The only way to turn them off is to turn the ignition key to off. After doing that the wipers reset to their normal stowed position.

I also had Ford's remote start installed. I am told this is a dealer install. The dealer has no record of the install. I am wondering if the remote start might somehow be interfering with the wipers? Also, because of the My Key feature the remote start does not work properly. After remote starting the truck it shuts down when opening any door. That is not supposed to happen. The truck should stay running waiting for the driver to insert the key and turn it to the run position.

To confuse things I bought this truck through Exchange New Car Sales (ENCS) a.k.a. Military Car sales. They or Ford, delivered the truck to a distant Ford dealer who preps the truck then drives it to a leasing agency who did all the paperwork when I picked it up.

Has anyone else experienced these problems. I did a search for the wiper problem and came up with nothing.

Other than these two problems I really like the truck.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:40 PM
i have heard of a faulty rain sensor causing this. If you have the rain sensing wipers. it could be the sensor. which is stuck to the windsheild behind the rearview.

I do agree the remote start is not operating as it should, they could have spliced into the incorrect wire i suppose.

hope everything works out.
b

Old 12-28-2009, 03:46 PM
As much as you don't like it the remote starter is operating as ford thinks its supposed to. Its the only way to have the MYkey system work. It doesn't look for the transponder in the key after the engine is running. So when you remote start it the Mykey settings for the transponder in the remote start unit is what it will use.

I have read that the dealer can change this setting with their scan tool. It will just mess with the MYKey feature if you ever plan to use it.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by AWorthington
Also, because of the My Key feature the remote start does not work properly. After remote starting the truck it shuts down when opening any door. That is not supposed to happen. The truck should stay running waiting for the driver to insert the key and turn it to the run position.
That SUCKS. FoMoCo needs to work on that for sure!

Old 12-29-2009, 07:49 AM
just so u know the mykey issue doesn't happen with the compustar remote starters i install every day, its only a issue with the Ford remote start.

with your wipers my guess its related to the remote start issue.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by Deano-FX4
just so u know the mykey issue doesn't happen with the compustar remote starters i install every day, its only a issue with the Ford remote start.
How much does your dealership charge for the Compustar system? Is it a quality system? If my dealer can disable MyKeys and the Ford system works as advertised then will be good. If not I will bitch and complain until I either get my money back or get another system installed. Depending on what happens my next call may be to Ford Corporate. Anyone have the number?

Old 12-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by BETCHER78
i have heard of a faulty rain sensor causing this. If you have the rain sensing wipers. it could be the sensor. which is stuck to the windsheild behind the rearview.
Thanks, I will tell the service department about the rain sensor possibly being the issue. Unless it comes with the Lux Package I didn't order the rain sensor and I haven't checked the sensor location yet to see if I have it.

I did talk to the dealer about my remote starter issue and they said there is a TSB about MyKeys being the cause. They had no knowledge about Ford trying to do anything about it.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:35 PM
The dealer says I need a new wiper motor to fix the problem. That sounded wrong to me since I can turn the motor off but not on. I was told the new motors have the variable speed sensor and regulator built in so that really what may be wrong but to repair it the entire motor needs replaced. We will see. I will post an update as soon as I get it.

In regards to my remote starting problem. Ford says there is nothing they can do and the system is designed to do that. They call it a safety feature. I call it bull****. I bet they fix it on the 2011's and when they do I will demand they fix or replace mine if they haven't by then. ;-)

Old 01-01-2010, 02:31 AM
It's 2010 now. I really don't see why Ford can't integrate a remote start into the truck so that it's installed at the factory. GM has been doing it for years.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:19 AM
Originally Posted by 1meanZ
It's 2010 now. I really don't see why Ford can't integrate a remote start into the truck so that it's installed at the factory. GM has been doing it for years.
2011 they are http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=31543

Old 01-04-2010, 05:14 AM
Originally Posted by Deano-FX4

with your wipers my guess its related to the remote start issue.
Please explain how the compustar works then. It is my understanding that the trucks computer(as with all brand cars that use chipped keys) only look for the keys transponder when you start the engine. Once it is verified it no longer looks for it. With that if the remote start module is used to start the truck it looks for its transponder. Once its recognized it does not look for another key unless you turn off the engine and restart it with the key. Now this will not allow the Mykey system to function properly because it will only know the remote start modules transponder. This is why Fords turn off the engine when you open the door. Its the only way to preserve the Mykey function. The compustar system might not turn off the engine when you open the door but I don't see how is preserves the Mykey system unless I am missing something....

AWorthington yes the dealer can change the setting to not shut down when you open the door. Like I said it will disrupt the Mykey but if you don't need that I don't see the problem. If your dealer won't change it try another. There is supposed to be instructions online you could do it yourself but I have not been able to find them just now.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by Derff96963
There is supposed to be instructions online you could do it yourself but I have not been able to find them just now.
I just posted the Programming Manual here.

Bob

Old 01-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by Dark_Wizard
I just posted the Programming Manual here.

Bob
I would very much like to disable the Mykey feature myself. The link for the manual that Bob, aka Dark_Wizard, provided takes me to a web page offering to download some kind of fast download software? Does anyone have a working link to the manual.

Thanks

Old 01-14-2010, 07:20 PM
It's a safety issue not a remote start issue. The way you are installing them overrides the mykey for that key cycle unless you are adding your bypass as a mykey in which case after remote starting any key used to takeover would be treated as a mykey.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:10 PM
I was able to find a work around for the engine shutting down when opening the door and when inserting the key. The fix was to cut the wires that senses each action when it happens individually. In other words there is a wire that senses when the door is opened, and another wire that senses when inserting the key into the ignition.

I had this done for me by an electronics tech recommended by a local Ford dealer. I don't know exactly what wires he cut but after looking at the wiring diagram in the installation manual it looks like he cut wire A-20 which is GREEN/VIOLET in color with the function Door Ajar Switch Input and wire B-8 which is BLACK/WHITE in color with the function Key-In-Sense Input. Please verify these wires for yourself before inadvertently cutting them just based on color. Both wires were located under the dash by removing the panel on the right side of the dash and the one under the steering wheel. After cutting the wires all the electronics tech did was tape all the open ends.

Quick Reply: New F-150, wipers won't turn off?