2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My speaker upgrade using factory head unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 01:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for this. Seriously this is so helpful - exactly what I have been looking for.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:10 AM
Quick question... Are your rear seats propped up at all or do they sit in the all the way down position. I've been thinking about ordering a box from them but it just looks like the seats are propped up a bit...

Old 01-25-2010, 03:31 PM
The sub box is definitely a snug fit but the seat still locks in the down position without having to force it at all. The box doesn't affect the seating position at all. I regularily have adults sitting in the back. SCS really did a good job utilizing all the available space to give the you the maximum volume. I'm really happy with it.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:06 PM
This is great. Good job! I was looking into installing my Kicker sub and amp into the truck but this makes me want to replace all the speakers and and another amp. I think this is going to cost me!

Old 03-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Power switch

Did you add a power switch for your amp? I have the same truck but 2WD and was thinking about putting in a switch a the 4WD switch filler. Any ideas?

Old 03-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Nice install! My only suggestion is that you get some wire loom on the power cable under the hood. Good safety precaution.

Also, the sound you notice between songs is because of the PDX amplifiers. They are notorious for having a very high floor noise (hissssssssssss)

Old 03-26-2010, 02:44 PM
good job on the write up. i was planning on doing alpine speakers myself as an upgrade and do an aftermarket deck at some point. i know the stock deck will only put out so much power so how much of a difference in sound quality would you get with just speakers alone?

Old 03-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Stock Speakers

Nice write up and illistrations. I have the 09 Platinum with The sony nav. system. Does anyone know what kind and how many speakers and there locations are in my truck. I think it has 750 watts with a sub-woofer already
under the seat. Would replacing just the speakers make much of a difference?

Old 05-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Great write up. I just got a 2010 reg cab. I want to do the same. Question which processer did you use. You said the mtx re-q5 and maxxsonics mx-1. Did you go from one to the other. Which one do you like.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:44 PM
sooo, I have a couple ?'s. Nice setup btw. #1 Do I need to get a expensive sp or can I use one I have from scosche? 4ch. Converter. For now just adding a sub,but considering hooking fronts and rears up eventually. For now I have compnents in front running off the stock hu. #2 does thefactory stereo have an internal amp?(6disc changer type). Just thinking ahead to the fact if I do hook the doors up to another amp to do the doors. #3 woild the sound quality improve with an amp on the doors? The speakers can handle more thanthe factory stereo puts out. So I didn't know if underpwoering them hurts their performance. In the past I've used aftermarket huls buut I'm stickin with stock.(fornow) how would a fells go about getting the radio surround that comes in the nav opted trucks? I really want to match the shiny black. . . . I have a 2010 fx4 supercrew. Thanks for your time

Old 05-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by tstockel
Nice write up and illistrations. I have the 09 Platinum with The sony nav. system. Does anyone know what kind and how many speakers and there locations are in my truck. I think it has 750 watts with a sub-woofer already
under the seat. Would replacing just the speakers make much of a difference?
That "750 watt" stuff is just a number. There is no way the Sony system puts out a true 750 watts.....maybe they get that number by adding all the "max watts" on each speaker to get to that number. What did it for me was the way you loose your bass when you turn the system up past half-way......

You have speakers in the door (4), 2 tweeters in the "A" pillar, one center speaker in the dash, and one sub under the rear passenger seat. The sub has one amp and the other amp is under the console. And yes, replacing just the speakers will make a difference, but if you are going to do that, you might as well hook an amp to them.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:38 PM
I went with the Infinity 6832's they sound great compared to stock. Since they are 2 ohm the stock head unit pushes them very well.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Thank you for the write up.
That looks like a really well thought out system.
The door panels were a worry for me because the truck is a week old and I already want to change out the speaks.
One question? There are no plastic push pins on these door panels. Just the bolts holding it on?

Old 08-25-2010, 01:03 AM
Thank You for this write up. Do you have any other pics of the dash that show how to get the bezel off. you mentioned the bolts at the top, and you said one by the ash tray. I am not sure I have an ash tray. Did you have Sync. That is what is at the bottom of mine.

Also, did you run all the wiring along the door sills, or did you pull the seats and carpet?
I like the 9 wire cable. Looks like it would make it easier to run the wiring.
Thanks again

Old 08-25-2010, 05:23 PM
This is great, I plan on doing the same thing except in my supercrew with one sub. I'll be using your guide, thanks a lot!

Quick Reply: My speaker upgrade using factory head unit