2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My speaker upgrade using factory head unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the BT-5520 wiring harness the same in trucks with nav?

Old 02-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by 5point4
Is the BT-5520 wiring harness the same in trucks with nav?
5point4,

Did you ever figure this out?

Nasty

Old 02-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by brn2ryd

Note: You can run new speaker wires directly from your amp to your speakers however I ran another 9wire conductor back to the wiring harness to utilize the factory speaker wire. I did this because you cannot simply run new wire to the doors through the rubber boot attached to your door. There is a pin connector inside the boot so unless you want to drill through the pin connector, you’ll have to find another way to get the wires into the door. I might make this a summer project, as it would be nice to have a higher gauge/quality wire feeding the speakers.

Do u have a part number for this 9wire conductor you mention ?

Old 04-14-2011, 08:33 PM
rok
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-250-Roll.html

This will work and they have more brands and longer lengths.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Well Done

Hey bro you did a great write up with the pics. Thanks

Old 05-23-2011, 01:24 PM
has anyone attempted running their own speaker wires in an 09-11 f150? I am doing a system install soon and would like to run my own speaker wire for the best quality sound.

Anyone?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by blackknight87
has anyone attempted running their own speaker wires in an 09-11 f150? I am doing a system install soon and would like to run my own speaker wire for the best quality sound.

Anyone?
I ran new speaker wire in my 2009 FX4.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by ibcop
I ran new speaker wire in my 2009 FX4.
yea i checked my doors last night and i dont have the dreaded molex connectors. So it shoudl be relatively easy to run new speaker wire to the doors.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by blackknight87
yea i checked my doors last night and i dont have the dreaded molex connectors. So it shoudl be relatively easy to run new speaker wire to the doors.
I had them.....but it's not too bad - just gotta take your time.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:01 AM
yea either way i was gonna run new speaker wire, I could have handled the molex connectors....but im glad i dont have to mess with them.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by brn2ryd
Speaker upgrade on my 2009 XLT Supercab with basic radio. No Navigation or Sony.

I made up a wiring diagram but cannot figure out to attach it (its a word doc.) PM me and I can eamil it to you if you want.
I am attempting to run a system similar to this and am looking for some help in the wiring department. I will also send you a PM if you could send me the wiring diagram, I think that would help me out a lot! To see what I am running (or plan to be running) you can see my thread ..... https://www.f150online.com/forums/sp...01-needed.html

Old 08-22-2011, 08:03 AM
Have any of you used an MTX-re-Q5 processor with the stock head unit? I found a local guy that used one with his stock setup with only a speaker upgrade and it sounded very good.

The information I've researched about using a stock head unit states that the tone quality of factory head units suppresses bass control. That's one of the reasons when you turn up the volume on a stock head unit it sound a bit distorted even after a speaker upgrade.

Last edited by shortride; 08-22-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by shortride
Have any of you used an MTX-re-Q5 processor with the stock head unit? I found a local guy that used one with his stock setup with only a speaker upgrade and it sounded very good.

The information I've researched about using a stock head unit states that the tone quality of factory head units suppresses bass control. That's one of the reasons when you turn up the volume on a stock head unit it sound a bit distorted even after a speaker upgrade.
If you look up reviews for the re-Q5 you will find more people unhappy with it than those happy with it. I had one in my truck for 3 days and it crapped out. Turned itself off and on at random times, only turned on one of my amps and not the other sometimes, etc. I should have done better research in the beginning and could have avoided it.

I went with the LC6i by AudioControl and everything has been perfect since. Better adjustments, easier to wire, and much easier instructions. Even made things sound better than the re-Q5, which is a matter of opinion I know.

Do your research and don't just buy the cheapest one because your buddy has one. Look up the reviews on it and you will see that most aren't happy with it.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by shortride

I used one in my 09 FX4 and didn't have any issues with it. It performed as it should have and made the difference is bass loss after the half-way point.

I haven't done any upgrades in my 11 - yet.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:17 PM
What are "molex connectors"??

Also if you have a sub box under the seats, is there a way that you can disconnect them if you want the space and still have working speakers?

Quick Reply: My speaker upgrade using factory head unit