2009 - 2014 F-150

GM locking rear diff

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GM locking rear diff

I just saw a commercial for the Sierra where they are touting the offering of a locking rear diff and "demonstrating" by pulling a Ram and Tundra out of a mud pit.

Did they just start offering this to compete with Ford? The only one up I can see for them is being able to offer it across the board on all 4x4 equipped models and trim lines, whereas we have to go with an FX4 or Raptor to get it.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:54 PM
GM sucks Ha I bleed Ford blue obviously, but I've also seen that commercial. I laugh because now that have to "TRY" to one up FORD to sell thier girly trucks. *shakes head*.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:59 PM
GM has had locking diffs for a LOOOONG time, however they are WEAK not too mention only an 8.6" ring gear. that may have changed in the last few years tho.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:03 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
yea they have had GM positrac locker which snaps in a heart beat. Although i also dont know if they have made changes or not.

The way the positrac works is once detecting wheel spin the diff mechanically locks in to place, much different than a limited slip diff unit.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:14 AM
ya if i remeber correctly there is a weight that gets thrown out by centrifugal force when one tire spins which catches on something to lock it. thats the part that usually breaks off.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:32 AM
Global Moderator &

yea, that or the C clip on the axle breaks and you loose an axle out the side of the truck

I think its called G80 differential IIRC

Old 11-09-2009, 12:33 AM
Watch the Grip Not Slip video. Chevy has one that spins before it kicks in and the Tundra does not have it at all.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f...deos-and-demos

Old 11-09-2009, 01:00 AM
^That link will not allow vids to be played.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
The way the positrac works is once detecting wheel spin the diff mechanically locks in to place, much different than a limited slip diff unit.
Originally Posted by Paralyzer
ya if i remeber correctly there is a weight that gets thrown out by centrifugal force when one tire spins which catches on something to lock it. thats the part that usually breaks off.
That is limited slip is it not?

Old 11-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Definition:
A limited slip differential (LSD) is a modified or derived type of differential gear arrangement that allows for some difference in angular velocity of the output shafts, but imposes a mechanical bound on the disparity. In an automobile, such limited slip differentials are sometimes used in place of a standard differential, where they convey certain dynamic advantages, at the expense of greater complexity.

Benefits:
The main advantage of a limited slip differential is shown by considering the case of a standard (or "open") differential where one wheel has no contact with the ground at all. In such a case, the contacting wheel will remain stationary, and the non-contacting wheel will rotate freely—the torque transmitted will be equal at both wheels, but will not exceed the threshold of torque needed to move the vehicle, and thus the vehicle will remain stationary. In everyday use on typical roads, such a situation is very unlikely, and so a normal differential suffices. For more demanding use, such as driving in mud, off-road, or for high performance vehicles, such a state of affairs is undesirable, and the LSD can be employed to deal with it. By limiting the angular velocity difference between a pair of driven wheels, useful torque can be transmitted as long as there is some traction available on at least one of the wheels.

Source:
"Limited slip differential." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 8 Nov 2009, 19:16 UTC. 9 Nov 2009 <http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Limited_slip_differential&oldid=32 4692584>.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by mrpositraction
That is limited slip is it not?
No. A limited slip diff only "limits" the slip between the axles. It does not eliminate the slip.

A locking diff actually locks the shafts together.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Wow lots of bashing! The G80 locking diff has been around for a long time. I had it in the late 90's and most recently in a 2002 Silverado. Those trucks can go through some nasty stuff. In my opinion the locking diff is much better than the LS in my 05 FX4. My fx4 gets stuck so much easier. I am glad Ford is playing catch up and now offering a locking diff, but they need to put it in all the trucks as an option. If I could get a 2010 Lariat with the locker I would be in. Instead I am forced to once again compromise with my Ford truck.

ETA: My GM trucks never had axle or differential issues, and I was not easy on them.

However my FX4 (which I am easier on) has had many rear end issues. #1 ring gear chewed up. #2 leaking rear seal. #3 fried clutch packs in the LS.

Again not 1 problem on the GM trucks, so those saying it is not a durable setup are wrong.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-09-2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: ETA
Old 11-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Rochester
Wow lots of bashing! I am glad Ford is playing catch up and now offering a locking diff, but they need to put it in all the trucks as an option.
I agree it should be an option across the board, especially the 4wd trucks. But how are they "playing catch up" when they are the first to use an E-Locker?

Old 11-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Exactly. An auto-locker and an E-locker aren't the same thing. With an E-locker you get to choose when it is, or isn't, locked.

Also, maybe your FX4 gets stuck more easily because it is much heavier.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Or just buy the FX4 now with the locking rearend

Quick Reply: GM locking rear diff