2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Harsh shifting in 4 low

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok.

Truck was ready to be picked up this morning. Was told on the phone that no codes were thrown and does not appear to be anything mechanical wrong. (Deano, I stand corrected !)

However the tech did acknowledge and verify my concern for rough shifting.

Here is the description of service on the invoice:

Road tested, verified concern. Checked for DTC, No Codes. Checked Oasis, TSB, SSM. TSB 09-11-5. Reprogram PCM/TCM. Performed adaptive shift strategy.
So from what I gather, they reprogrammed the computer to the latest software fix for shift concerns with this transmission. I was told to drive it for a week before testing 4 low again.

On the way home the truck performed and shifted fine in 2 wheel, but then again it felt much the same as before i brought it in.

Deano, answer me this. if the computer seems to have been shifting find in 2 wheel drive and 4 hi previously you would think that it would have already learned. so why is this isolated to only 4 low? Wouldn't the adaptive technology be learning how to shift regardless whether 2 wheel,4 hi or 4 low?

Old 09-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
Make sure that you are at a full stop, trans in neutral, before shifting into Low range....
WRONG! The new rigs come with a tag on the 4x4 switch that says TO ENGAGE 4X4 LOW DRIVE THE VEHICLE NO MORE THAN 5 MPH, SHIFT TO NEUTRAL, SWITCH TO 4LO.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:59 PM
ok first the TSB is meant to correct a harsh 1-2 upshift and harsh down shift concerns that many people have experinced, my truck was really bad, and the TSB made my trans shift perfect. the TSB doesn't state anything about being in 4x4.

but it does take a few days of normal driving for the trans to relearn your driving habits and its shift strategy, so if it feels good in 2wd then all is good, driving in 4HI on slippery roads it should feel the same, you should only feeling the torgue and binding of the front axles if the wheels are on dry roads, and gravel road don't really offer enough slippage.

now in 4 low if the wheels are not slipping at all being in such a low gear you are going to feel a buck/jerk condition, its just the nature of the system.

but what i would like you to do is take the truck to where you are trying 4 low and put in 4 low but put your trans in 3rd gear, now it should stay in 3rd and not try and shift the trans, drive it and see how it feels, my guess is its going to smooth out some ofthe feeling you are having but not fully.

now i have never put my truck in 4 low because i have never needed to so i can't tell you what mine is like but if i get out of the city this weekend i will give it a shot.

hope this helps.

and yes you can now be rolling slowly in N and shift to 4 Low. but if the wheels are spinning at all or you are moving faster 3kmh then it just won't shift, the system will ignore the input.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Deano, I will give your recommendation a try when the time comes.

Last edited by birdshooter; 09-04-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:20 AM
Same Issue

I know this is an old thread, but I’ve having trouble finding anything more recent. I have a similar problem to yours in 4low. This issue started in normal 2wd with the same symptoms: RPMs increase speed does not followed by hard jerk. However inexplicably this went away before I made an appointment with the dealer. However the problem still exists in 4low. The dealer can’t find a problem but agrees that an issue exists and I’m confident I’m not just misinterpreting because it wasn’t like that before. Do you have any update on your truck?

Old 05-16-2019, 03:50 PM
I have same issue but I think it’s normal. Only happens in 4 lo and everything works fine in all other modes.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:31 PM
I feel like I'm having the same issue. However, I also have had at much lower speed for about a month what feels like rotational grinding or rubbing. After searching all the sites, what I thought was happening was a bad check valve with the IWE system. So I replaced that ($20 and 2 minutes). No change. Still feeling the rubbing/grinding AND in 4L I have the same experiences as the above posts. I'd like to add the following: In 4L, I also hear the ECOBOOST engage and as my wife says, it sounds like a small city powering up or down. When I accelerate, it "whines/whizzes" higher and faster.

I have a 2017 F-150 with 4x4 King Ranch

Old 02-23-2021, 08:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation

Andrew Harris ...
*HEADS-UP* You've replied/posted to a 12-year thread in the 2009 - 2014 F-150 forum.

Consider » 2015 - 2020 F-150

Also ...

HINT/TIP: Put your vehicle information (year, model, cab, trim, engine, wheelbase, _x4 drive, mileage, modifications, etc., etc.) in your signature.

» Edit Signature «

Old 10-31-2023, 03:00 PM
Same for me ford expedition 2016.

Gents, this thread will live forever 😃.
I’m currently facing the same issue with my expedition 2016. However this time is with the 4A, 4H & 4 L as well, yet the car is showing very smooth shifting in the 2H.
this is the first time to use it loooong time ago. Is there any advice for this case.

Quick Reply: Harsh shifting in 4 low