2009 - 2014 F-150

Thinking About Getting an 09!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking About Getting an 09!

After crunching some numbers on diesel ownership and the associated initial cost to get one with everything I want its a bit out of my price range right now still being in school, although I REALLY want one. I can however afford the maintenance and costs of an 09 F150! I can get an 09 FX4 screw fully loaded for about 28-30K right now, the only problem is I'm not ready to buy just yet so... Will it be hard to find an 09 in or around December/January? I really dont want to haggle on a 2010 or have to order one, plus some of the subtle things I prefer are on the 09's. What about a high volume dealer vs. the small town dealer? I seem to be getting better quotes from high volume dealers, which I expected, what have been y'alls experiences?

Here is what I'm looking for:

Blue Flame, FX4, Supercrew, Sony stereo w/ nav, moonroof, leather.... Basically fully loaded. So far my searches have not yielded finding a dealer with this truck on the lot, leading me to believe it will only be even harder around when I'd like to buy.

I'm not getting rid of the 05' it is just getting parked for a bit, while I finish school at Texas ATM. Its a long drive from amarillo to College station, and I already have to fill up twice between amarillo and dallas (about 350 miles) In a nutshell the 09' will have better mileage, and a warranty to boot, plus that color blue is like a bug zapper! I'm constantly attracted to it! I'd like to level it and get some meats on there (w/out killing the mileage too much) when I get it, Driving a stock truck is impossible for me! It will get the full lift treatment in a few years and be just as show worthy as my 05 is one day. Anyway, enough of my rambling, if y'all have any input, advice or suggestions let me know please!

Last edited by FX4life; 08-14-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:44 PM
09 selection is going to be hard now to get the specs you want, especially the blue ive noticed. come december/january i wouldnt expect to see an 09 on dealer lots except a used one. but just my .02

Id probably go for the 2010 because of the new brakes, also heard they had efans .... but then if u wait to get the 2010 wth wait till 2011 for new engines .... thats my dilemma HAHA.

Want to get rid of my 07 for a new truck to do the exact opposite of you. I want to take a fairly stock truck and ruin my mileage by jacking it up and throwing on some nice rubbers

anyway enough rambling .... if you want an 09 buy now if u can even get one how u want still.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Personally, if it were me and I already had a nice truck, I wouldn't bother getting another truck as a second vehicle. Why not just get a nice car? Better on mileage, better on insurance (sometimes).

That's just me, though. I don't understand the need for a second truck if I already had one, but I'm the type of person to view a truck as a tool to get a job done before a commuter.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:45 AM
It is a gamble to wait until Dec/Jan. Most years the inventory of previous model year trucks is pretty low by then. The ones that are left are either the top of the line models (unpopular colors) and work trucks.

It sounds like you want something specific. Thats going to be hard to do that time of year. Besides if you can get a loaded FX4 ($45K) for "28-30", JUMP ON IT NOW!!

WHOOP! '87

Old 08-15-2009, 09:07 AM
I would have to agree with the others in that it is going to be near impossible to get exactly what you want in an 09 model in December/January. I am also very doubtful that you will buy a loaded FX4 supercrew with the options that you have described for $28-30K. I just purchased an 09 Lariat a while back and am in charge of purchasing trucks for my company and I would be surprised if you found a dealer that would knock 33-37% off of MSRP. I think you are being a little too optimistic about that. These trucks are starting to sell pretty good. However, if you have found a dealer that will sell you this truck for that price, you better jump on it now before they realize what they are doing. Anyway, good luck with your shopping.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:33 AM
When I started my search for an FX4 with NAV it took me about 100 dealerships searches...most fx4's dont have NAV if they do when you do your search through ford.com you neeed to make sure the sticker is over 44k...anything under will not have NAV.....I found 3 fx4's on the entire east coast with NAV...2 black and 1 sterling....good luck...you may have to order the blue w NAV.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Last note....dont settle if you want NAV...it's well worth the search or wait...the nav is better than my wifes range rover nav.....and the stereo that comes with the nav is very good as well.

Trending Topics

Old 08-15-2009, 09:57 AM
yeah, fully loaded FX4 with nav and stuff does approach 45k. I was going to get one, but for just 3k more, I decided to get the Platinum. So you'd be lucky to get the FX4 for around 34k to 35k.

how and the heck can you have the 05 plus all that money into those mods and still be able to buy a brand new truck while you're still in school???

Old 08-15-2009, 11:49 AM

I can pick it up around 30k because of an A-plan, student discounts, and other misc. discounts I have found out about and that ford is offering right now. I Picked up my 05' for 26k, with an A-plan, trade, and some other misc. discounts, plus "ford summer truck days" or w/e. We dont really do much haggling about the price. Now will that price be that great in dec/jan? probably not. As long as I can get it for 36K or under I will be happy. It would be the time to buy right now if i was trading the 05' in but im not, so I want a pretty hefty down payment to get the payments lower. My logic may be a little screwy to some though.. I also have had hell finding just an FX4 in the blue flame with any make up of options, and the two tone version with the grey bottom is not to my liking (not a two tone fan)

I'm a construction science student so I will need a pickup for my internships. While some students prefer internships as Project Managers, I would rather be outside working so I'll be looking for one as a field supervisor/superintendent.

Nav I guess really is optional to me, I have it on the Avic-D3 in my 05' and never use it. I would however like the sony stereo, moonroof, and leather! As for colors I really want that blue flame color, but would consider silver as a second option. I guess other colors if nothing was available at the time.

How do I afford the 05' modded, and now want an 09? easy I work my *** off! 2-3 jobs at a time when i'm not in school, and one full time job when I am in school. Plus while in school I work odd construction/landscaping jobs for money when I have the time and resources. I'm considered a workaholic by most who know me it's all about the benjamins though!

Old 08-15-2009, 10:14 PM
the NAV screen looks tight!!!

Old 08-17-2009, 09:16 PM

After alot of looking around and research, I'm thinking about waiting on the 6.2L boss That leaves me with 2 questions...

1.) for those who went from an 04-08 how is the 'new' 5.4L w/ the six speed tranny compare to the 04-08 5.4L with the 5 speed?

2.) I have read alot of conflicting info on the release of the 6.2L boss. I know it debuts in the raptor this winter, but when will it hit the F150, especially the FX4? I have read 2011-1012 model years, which at the earliest means not this fall but the next?

Old 08-18-2009, 11:24 AM
I had an 06 fx4 traded it for my 09 fx4. The difference in the tranny's are big. The new fx4 is much quicker and feels better through all gears. That being said I have afe air intake and shortly will be doing exhaust with edge programmer....I love the new fx4 body and tranny ...much improved truck imo.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:14 PM
I agree with sterling09FX4, as I traded an '04 Lariat 4x4 SCrew for an '09 KR 4x4 SCrew. And, I can tell a huge difference in the tranny...shifting is much smoother and quicker. And, to me, it just feels a lot quicker out the gate.

Quick Reply: Thinking About Getting an 09!