2009 - 2014 F-150

Has anyone had trouble with gas leaking during fillup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 02:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HotLap
Ah, it all ends so quickly

Tbird, thx for making me smile
Come back tomorrow Hotlap, I'm playin' here all week.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After thinking about this thread for a day or so -

First, why would anyone not insert the nozzle all the way in when fueling?

Without know the actual function of our tank necks, I would think there has the be a vent system incorporated in it somehow.

When you insert the gas nozzle, it pushes the little cap away so the nozzle can be inserted. Maybe there is also a vent that opens at the same time - there has to be some kind of a vent there to let the air escape from the tank when filling. So, in this theory, if you only had the nozzle inserted half way, the gas coming out of the nozzle is escaping out of the filler neck through the vent.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by stormtech
After thinking about this thread for a day or so -

First, why would anyone not insert the nozzle all the way in when fueling?

Without know the actual function of our tank necks, I would think there has the be a vent system incorporated in it somehow.

When you insert the gas nozzle, it pushes the little cap away so the nozzle can be inserted. Maybe there is also a vent that opens at the same time - there has to be some kind of a vent there to let the air escape from the tank when filling. So, in this theory, if you only had the nozzle inserted half way, the gas coming out of the nozzle is escaping out of the filler neck through the vent.

Sorry to dissapoint your theory but no, there is NO vent to let all the FUMES escape. Modern fuel nozzles have a return line to catch the air that is being forced out by the gas going in. This helps to reduce the total emissions while pumping gas. If it is running out it has to be due to something else and not a vent opening.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:50 PM
confirmation from a texas F150 owner

Originally Posted by mishka
That happened to me the other day actually, when i was filling up i was only putting a half tank in but was holding the end of the nozzle so it was just barely in there and some fuel game splashing out from behind somehow and leaked all over the ground like down the inside of the rear quarter and down the fuel neck. Seems to me like it could be an issue if gas can get out there im sure dust and stuff could get in there. Ill have to see if i can do it again next time i fill up.
This has happened to my truck not once but THREE times and all three times I have taken it to the dealership and they have replaced every single part associated with the fuel system and will not replace my truck.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by jking7173
This has happened to my truck not once but THREE times and all three times I have taken it to the dealership and they have replaced every single part associated with the fuel system and will not replace my truck.
I'm confused as to why they *should* replace your truck?

Quick Reply: Has anyone had trouble with gas leaking during fillup?