2009 - 2014 F-150

Little help with wheels on 09' Platinum

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little help with wheels on 09' Platinum

Hey guys! Well my wheels finally sold and I need to get my new wheels ordered. I need some help figuring out which size to get to get the look I want, but I also don't want to have any rubbing issues on the inner tie rods and upper a arms. I am looking at two different sizes:

20X9 - 0 offset and 5 backspace
or
20X9 - +30 offset and 6.18 backspace

I would like the wheels to stick out a little bit and have a nice lip to them, but I don't want them to stick out 6" out the sides either. Any help is appreciated! Pics would be good too if you can so that I can actually see what I am doing.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:56 AM
Your wheels will already stick out a little more because they are a touch wider. Then you add the backspacing into to and you have a little more. the +30 will be under your truck enough to not throw crap down it. I dont have 0, but i do have a -12 which is 4.5" of backspacing...You will get the idea.There are others in my gallery.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...-12-offset.jpg

Old 08-04-2009, 12:04 PM
So the -12 puts the backspace closer in towards the hub and makes the wheel stick out a little further. So I could expect my wheels to be just a touch closer in towards the inner fender than yours...

Old 08-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Yep BINGO! Im sure if you search long enough in the wheels section you will find someone with the exact setup that you are looking for. THose sizes and offsets are also pretty popular.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:37 PM
The 09's seam to be a little different when it comes to how far they stick out. I think it has to do with the new fender design. Here is my 09 with the same speced rims and tires as smokey. 4.5" backspacing with -12mm offset on a 20x9 rims. Tires are 305-55-R20 (33x12.5") mickey thompson ATZ's. (our tires are different though).

Old 08-04-2009, 02:10 PM
F ast...how does your truck ride with that wide of a wheel? Does it still ride the same as stock or did it get rough?

Old 08-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by rugdr
Hey guys! Well my wheels finally sold and I need to get my new wheels ordered. I need some help figuring out which size to get to get the look I want, but I also don't want to have any rubbing issues on the inner tie rods and upper a arms. I am looking at two different sizes:

20X9 - 0 offset and 5 backspace
or
20X9 - +30 offset and 6.18 backspace

I would like the wheels to stick out a little bit and have a nice lip to them, but I don't want them to stick out 6" out the sides either. Any help is appreciated! Pics would be good too if you can so that I can actually see what I am doing.
From the data you have provided I guess you are looking at some incubus wheels with the 6.18 backspace as that is the only wheel I noticed that carried that backspace.

I have tested it with the rim only on. In that condition I had 2" of clearance between the very outer edge of the rim and the upper control arm. Mathmatically a 12.50 tire I want to run should fit. But it may also rub when fully turned on the "A" or sides of the arm.

However - tomorrow I have an appointment to mount a 35x12.50x20 toyo mt and do a test fit. I wont know until then what the true fit will be. I will let you know tomorrow and will try to get pics while the shop is doing it.

Good luck in your wheel/tire project as it can be maddening at times.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:38 PM
F ast...how does your truck ride with that wide of a wheel? Does it still ride the same as stock or did it get rough?
Ya, it changed the ride. These wheels and tires are about 2 times the weight of stock. The biggest changes with the weight is that you can feel every time the wheel drops. Meaning like into a hole or a rut in the road. There is a jolt from all that extra weight dropping and stopping. There is a little more skitter on the road over little bump and alot more road noise... but look so good.

If this is the route you take, I would consider running a 20x9 with s 5" backspacing and a +18 offset. Take a look of DeergGeff's truck. Its an black 09 Platnum... wont TOTM last month (June)

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...-platinum.html

See here ^^^

Last edited by F_ast; 08-04-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm still learning this whole offset/backspacing thing, so I may be way off... wouldn't a 9" rim with 5" of backspacing have an offset of zero?

Old 08-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by jusadog
From the data you have provided I guess you are looking at some incubus wheels with the 6.18 backspace as that is the only wheel I noticed that carried that backspace.

I have tested it with the rim only on. In that condition I had 2" of clearance between the very outer edge of the rim and the upper control arm. Mathmatically a 12.50 tire I want to run should fit. But it may also rub when fully turned on the "A" or sides of the arm.

However - tomorrow I have an appointment to mount a 35x12.50x20 toyo mt and do a test fit. I wont know until then what the true fit will be. I will let you know tomorrow and will try to get pics while the shop is doing it.

Good luck in your wheel/tire project as it can be maddening at times.
Ok - just returned from the tire shop. I am running the incubus brawn wheel in 20 x 9 with 6.18 backspacing. I am running toyo 35 x 12.50 mt's. This combo was test fitted today with tire mounted on rim and with no level kit installed yet.

This combo cleared all suspension components - at full turn either direction. We first checked the fit up in the air and then set it down bearing full weight. No rubbing on the suspension at all. The only thing that rubbed was the bottom plastic valance on the bumper. Even that was minor. This tire cleared even with stock suspension!

I was not able to get any good pictures as the place was extremely busy and I was in the way sticking my nose in things.

HOWEVER - if someone is wanting to run these rims there is one issue at the start. The back of the wheel spokes do rub on the caliper casting. It is an unfinished seam on the caliper casting that rubs. Since the spokes are at a slight angle the point of contact with the caliper housing is very limited. This is a minor fix and will do so when I paint them. The "seam" on the passenger side caliper housing was at least 1/8" thick. The vendor who makes these for ford obviously does not deburr them.

I should have the complete wheel/tire/level kit done sometime next week and will be in a better position to provide alot of pictures. The stance is going to be great and the tire protuding from the fenders is as good as it can be with this wide of a tire.

Not hijacking your thread but trying to let you know of a fitment of a wheel backspace you have mentioned. Until next week.

Good luck -

Old 08-06-2009, 11:44 AM
How much do the tires and wheels stick out the fenders with that setup? I want them to stick out a little bit but now quite as much as F_ast above. And how much lip do you have on the wheels?

Old 08-06-2009, 12:30 PM
How much do the tires and wheels stick out the fenders with that setup? I want them to stick out a little bit but now quite as much as F_ast above. And how much lip do you have on the wheels?
If you can give me a day or so I will try to get some good pics. I might be able to take it to work tonight and mount it up again and get some pics there. I am limited here in socal and really miss my shop back home!

I know what you mean on the lip. It really makes the wheels look good but also pokes the tire way out with a low backspace. I will measure that as well and get back to you on this stuff.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:06 AM
My wheels stick out a good 1-1/2 to 2" from the flares. They are about even with where my running boards are.

The lip on these particular rims, the lip face is about 3-1/4 deep (from rim edge to the start of the spoke).

As for the offset questions above, there are several combinations of BS vs offset, but the one that is most common for ford patterns that I have seen is the 5.25bs with a +18 offset or +12... around this area anyways. It seems like more and more guys are running a shollower BS and running alot of POKE, but if i could do it again i would run them line at least an inch from my 4.5bs, -12 OS

Old 08-11-2009, 01:29 AM
The level kit goes on thursday and the shoes go on friday. Then Im taking a trip back home friday night. I have the camera ready to go and should be able to get you some pics of the stance once everything is on the truck. Sorry for the delay but that is the best I can do at the moment.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:46 AM
305/60R18s -18mm offset

Quick Reply: Little help with wheels on 09' Platinum