2009 - 2014 F-150

Tinted and Painted Tails

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I'm a little freaked out right now, b/c my tails look "frosted" right now. but thanks for posting the warning in your initial post. I'd be freaking out if you hadn't.

I got a late start, so I have to wait until tomorrow for the polish and pictures. Also, do I need to use a polish, or is a Meguires carnuba wax that i have already OK?

I sure hope these dry crystal clear!

Old 07-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Alright, here's an update. I think my clear coats were too light, b/c they resulted in a textured "frosted" finish. Out of desperation, I did a much thicker coat, and viola! it dried clear. Only one problem, a bug landed on the wet paint of one, i tried to get him out, and messed up the paint, then tried to paint over and got two areas of paint that were too think and made two 1" long "white-ish" lines. I need to do some more sanding and painting, but it's a good start. I had to put them on to drive to work this morning, so here are some pics (crappy cell phone pics)...

Oh yeah, and I left the red area clear, I didn't do any niteshades tint.

Last edited by spydyrwyr; 07-29-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:21 AM
Sweet looks great. I think this is one thing ford should have done to trucks that didn't have chrome bits everywhere.

Looks great the black blends even better then my silver.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by spydyrwyr
Alright, here's an update. I think my clear coats were too light, b/c they resulted in a textured "frosted" finish. Out of desperation, I did a much thicker coat, and viola! it dried clear. Only one problem, a bug landed on the wet paint of one, i tried to get him out, and messed up the paint, then tried to paint over and got two areas of paint that were too think and made two 1" long "white-ish" lines. I need to do some more sanding and painting, but it's a good start. I had to put them on to drive to work this morning, so here are some pics (crappy cell phone pics)...

Oh yeah, and I left the red area clear, I didn't do any niteshades tint.

WOW! Looks 1,000,000 times better than stock. post a pic of the lights without stepping on the brake and with the lights off, i want to see how well it blends in

Old 07-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Yeah, sorry about that, I started it w/ the remote starter then took pics. It must've been dark in my driveway this morning. Here's a couple taken w/o the lights on. Again, sorry for the crappy cell phone quality, and it started to rain so it's a low-light situation.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Those look Solid!

Old 07-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by spydyrwyr
Yeah, sorry about that, I started it w/ the remote starter then took pics. It must've been dark in my driveway this morning. Here's a couple taken w/o the lights on. Again, sorry for the crappy cell phone quality, and it started to rain so it's a low-light situation.

Looks good! What did you use for paint? I have a black FX4 and am thinking about doing this now.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:28 PM
I used rustoleum "all purpose" gloss black paint, crystal clear enamel rustoleum, and 3M wet or dry 2000 grit sandpaper. If you do it, be sure to take your time, especially when it comes to taping off the "red" area. I got really clean, straight lines, and nice rounded corners; i was pleased with the way they turned out i still need to do another coat or two of clear, they're not quite as glossy as I'd like. Even as-is, they're much better than stock IMO.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Looks Great! Ford should take note on this mod. I pefer the red knocked down a little.

Thats what is so cool about reading what others have done. You can tweak it just a little and you end up with something unique and personalized.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:55 AM
BigNate and Spydyrwyr, They look good nice job.Smokestone, I think yours look outstanding, not too loght not too dark. Great job. Ive got a 2010 Red Candy Metallic Screw FX2 . Just ordered the HD/ Raptor tails (expect them Friday) Maybe once they come in I can do a little playing with the stock ones to see what I can come up with.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:54 AM
So much for Raptor tails!! this mod looks just amazing. smokestone!!! Beautiful job with the black and the tint. Kudos.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by smokestone
Looks Great! Ford should take note on this mod. I pefer the red knocked down a little.

Thats what is so cool about reading what others have done. You can tweak it just a little and you end up with something unique and personalized.

It looks like you painted the chrome parts first then did the nite shade over all of it, is that correct? If so then that is bad A$$ looking.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Painting out the chrome sure looks nice. I have a extra set I'm going to do this to.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Best tail light mod yet.

BigNate... if you're interested in doing another set, shoot me a PM with a cost, seriously.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:35 AM
Sheet, this looks amazing! I've been staring at these leftover cans of Niteshade I have and wanting badly to do something with the tails, even though the chrome doesn't stick out on the white. I just have to mod something! IMO, it looks way better than just 'shading the entire tail.

Good job BigNate!

Quick Reply: Tinted and Painted Tails