Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Why lift a 2WD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why lift a 2WD?

To each his own, but I was curious....

When you can get a 4WD option at MSRP for $3800 (probably realizes out to about $3200ish) why would you spend $2500-4000 (parts only, no labor) on lifting a 2WD truck? You are going to have to drop another what, 2500 on wheels and tires as well.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:58 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A $3000+ lift on a 2WD truck will ride higher than a stock 4x4. Anyway, why do people spend $35k on a truck, then another $2k on wheels/tires and maybe more on any lift? Image/looks. Oh, fuel economy should be a bit better for 2WD.

Last edited by APT; 06-08-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:23 PM
I used to questions this myself Mark,

But think of it this way.... It makes more sense to lift a 2wd that never leaves the pavement than it does to lift a 4wd that never leaves the pavement!

Ultimately... people are going to do what they think is best for their truck! You and I may not understand it, or even agree with it... but eveyone is intitled to thier own opinion about mods when it comes to thier truck!

In this day in age... its about what looks the best... not what works the best!

Cheers

Nem

Old 06-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Because I want to and its my truck and my money and I like it .

Old 06-05-2009, 12:55 PM
CnA
Probably for the same reason the homeys buy a $80 ball cap, then wear it sideways on the head.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by Nemisus
I used to questions this myself Mark,
But think of it this way.... It makes more sense to lift a 2wd that never leaves the pavement than it does to lift a 4wd that never leaves the pavement!
you are absolutely right! since i moved to Florida 2 years ago i have used my 4wd zero times..kinda feels like im just throwing $$ out the window

Originally Posted by CnA
Probably for the same reason the homeys buy a $80 ball cap, then wear it sideways on the head.
LMAO !!
i needed that today!

Old 06-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by markstanco
To each his own, but I was curious....

When you can get a 4WD option at MSRP for $3800 (probably realizes out to about $3200ish) why would you spend $2500-4000 (parts only, no labor) on lifting a 2WD truck? You are going to have to drop another what, 2500 on wheels and tires as well.

Well, you still saved over $3000 over the purchase price of a 4x4. Plus, you get a cheaper insurance rate, better gas milage and you have less components to wear out. Also, lift vs. lift, a kit for a 4x2 will be a little less money on average.
Like someone said, why would you spend all that extra money lifting a 4x4 that never leaves the pavement.
Personally, I can't understand someone spending $50000 on a new lifted 4x4 and then take it offroad and flog the crap out of it. I guess if you have that kinda money to throw away, more power to you.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:05 PM
I personally like the look of a lifted 2wd. Besides how many people who lift their 4x4's to 38's or bigger can honestly say that they use their truck for serious off roading. Its just a look for most.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Well for all the lifted 2wd I have seen around here the resale value is crap, but thats also the reason I won't buy a 2wd.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:25 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by JWBFX4
Well for all the lifted 2wd I have seen around here the resale value is crap, but thats also the reason I won't buy a 2wd.
Just the 2wd lifted? Any lifted vehicle has a crappy resale, hell any TRUCK has a crappy resale these days. When you pour money into modding a truck, you absolutely cannot expect to get you money back for it if you sell it or trade it in. Also in places like cali and az, pre runners are big, which are......guess......2wd. Baja 1000 generally 2wd.

This question comes up so often its laughable. Simple answer is, people buy their truck and do what THEY want to to it. Its theirs, they are entitled to do so wether you like it or not. Why you honda guys put nasty (to us) sounding exhausts on, or large wings? Why do rednecks put cb's with huge whips on their truck? Why do people buy cars and tow trailers?

Just because you or someone else thinks it a bad idea or pointless idea, dont matter. The owner is paying or it, and it affects you or your own vehicle in no way, so what do you care? Why do you lift your 4wd then hit the malls and spit shine your wheels when there is a fleck of dust on them, and 4wd never gets used?

Just a dumb question IMO.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Like I said Capt. Obvious, it was SIMPLY A QUESTION. I only wanted to know why people did it, I was in no way knocking it.

This question comes up so often its laughable.
You saw the title of the thread, if you knew what it was about why did you even open it?

Possibly you can show me these multiple threads about it...I searched but couldnt find anything.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Man it don't matter what you have, you aren't going to get any of the money back that you put into your truck

Old 06-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by markstanco
Like I said Capt. Obvious, it was SIMPLY A QUESTION. I only wanted to know why people did it, I was in no way knocking it.

You saw the title of the thread, if you knew what it was about why did you even open it?

Possibly you can show me these multiple threads about it...I searched but couldnt find anything.
Thanks for the compliment, though if it was that obvious of a question, why ask it? In addition, never said you were knocking it. Simply gave my own feedback (that is what forums are for right), correct me if im wrong please captain not obvious. Again, I saw the title of the thread, and yeah I opened it because if you read my entire post, I also elaborated why people lift and alter 2WD trucks. Though im sure you read past that and grab your flame thrower at first glance.

The seach function works great here, might try using it. If you cant find it then you have no idea how to search because the question is brought up many a times in the past in other forums (not named the same thing, within other forums). Well im glad you got that off your chest at questioning my response, time for me to have a beer and enjoy my weekend.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Why lift a 2WD?
Why not?

Old 06-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by alomar
Just the 2wd lifted? Any lifted vehicle has a crappy resale, hell any TRUCK has a crappy resale these days. When you pour money into modding a truck, you absolutely cannot expect to get you money back for it if you sell it or trade it in. Also in places like cali and az, pre runners are big, which are......guess......2wd. Baja 1000 generally 2wd.

This question comes up so often its laughable. Simple answer is, people buy their truck and do what THEY want to to it. Its theirs, they are entitled to do so wether you like it or not. Why you honda guys put nasty (to us) sounding exhausts on, or large wings? Why do rednecks put cb's with huge whips on their truck? Why do people buy cars and tow trailers?

Just because you or someone else thinks it a bad idea or pointless idea, dont matter. The owner is paying or it, and it affects you or your own vehicle in no way, so what do you care? Why do you lift your 4wd then hit the malls and spit shine your wheels when there is a fleck of dust on them, and 4wd never gets used?

Just a dumb question IMO.
Well first off I wasn't just talking about a resale value on a lifted truck. If you look around down here a 2wd resale value is crap. The 4wd holds there value higher. But lets face it Ford resale value sucks anyways.

Now I wouldn't look twice at buying a lifted 2wd. I never said anything about the resale of a "modified" vehicle. I know you do not get out what you pay for in mods/lift. But you sure as hell ain't gone to get it back near as much out of a 2wd around here.

And you are right it is the owner's money, I could care less what he/she does with their truck. but the question was asked and I gave my opinion.

Last edited by JWBFX4; 06-06-2009 at 04:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Why lift a 2WD?