2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

"Payload" Featherweights

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BIG_ole_TRUCK
A lot of F150 screw owners are finding out their trucks aren't so potent, at least if they adhere to Fords stated capacity. The worse capacity I've seen are the fully loaded 4x4 Plats. The base work truck (regular cab) with HD suspension gets the maximum payload capacity and towing capacity (w/3.73 gears). In general, the more options/luxury along with the more doors you add, the lesser the payload capacity becomes.

If you ignore the 'stupid sticker' and overload the truck, your liability rests with you. The scary thing is most truck owners don't realize they maybe overloading their very luxurious truck just carrying 2 or 3 large men in the cab with a full tank of fuel.

BOtruck, I hear what you are saying and don't recommend that folks completely ignore the door jamb sticker...but we have to use common sense here as well. My fully loaded Plat (4x4) easily handles 4 adults + 1 child, all luggage and a full tank of fuel. (We recently did just this). Now according to the door sticker - I'm probably over the load capacity...however, the truck handled just fine, stopped fine, and manuvered fine, etc....I realize the door stickers are there primarily for liability limitations (anti-lawsuit) reasons for Ford and other manufacturers - but this is a truck and honestly, I wouldn't hesitate to exceed my GVWR and not worry. Don't get me wrong though, overloading any truck so it's rear is scraping the ground is dangerous and I too avoid these overloaded vehicles when I see them on the roads...let's all not forget these are TRUCKS, and the last time I checked my CF450X would not fit in the hatch of a Saturn...regarldess of load capacity...I also believe that since these are trucks (with beds that you can get large, bulky,heavy loads in), the manufacturers are especially conservative with GVWR ratings because as we all know - there are folks out there who (are not so bright and) would load the truck until the tires popped....

Old 06-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
I think 1,551 is acceptable, but not fantastic.
Actually, compared to some other half-ton trucks with similar features I considered, it is fantastic IMO. Too many of my friends exceed the maximum rated capacity of their trucks regularly. I bought my truck based on research for my needs. My towing needs leave plenty of headroom based on the truck's rated capacity including with the added weight of my family and other equipment and supplies. If I had needed more, I would have been looking at a bigger truck to accommodate my needs.

I don't buy a vehicle based on commercials. I needed a recreational tow vehicle for my boats and travel trailer. I did a lot of research already knowing my load requirements and purchased my truck based on its ability to properly handle those requirements. Its as simple as that.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Then you are one of the few.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Hotlap...when you exceed capacity, you exceed capacity. Your fully loaded Plat 4x4 maximum payload is probably met simply by putting your family in the cab and filling up the fuel tank or perhaps it's exceeded.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Then you are one of the few.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. If its because I actually did research into my purchase, then its a sad tale of society especially when spending $30K+ on a vehicle.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Oh I agree people should do research(it wasn't a slam on you at all) but they typically don't, and the point from prev post was that Ford (or others) don't help with their advertising. And once again if 1,500 lbs is a lot then you don't really do much with your truck.... Cause its v easy to exceed. I looked at a Trav trailer the other day with a dry hitch weight of 1,200 lbs. Guy said he had many 04+ F150 owners pulling that unit. Said it was no problem. Just one example, but htat unit loaded up etc with family etc would be pushing or over a F250. Those guys have no clue. Unfortunate but its common. Say it again 95% of people pulling campers are over rear axle or GVW. IF they enforced it to the letter of the law the towable rv industry and campgrounds.... all dead .

Old 06-08-2009, 01:55 AM
And once again if 1,500 lbs is a lot then you don't really do much with your truck...
That is simply a subjective statement. I use my truck as a TRUCK almost weekly. Hauled a yard of mulch a few days ago. Not the most challenging load weight wise but my BMW isn't quit suited for the chore.

As far as advertising goes, well I cant think of much advertising that doesn't overstate or at least flirt with overstating any products features or capabilities.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:25 AM
I peeked at a buddys sticker on his 06 Ram mega cab 1500. It said 2459 or so. I think his is a 6ft bed.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Hotlap...when you exceed capacity, you exceed capacity. Your fully loaded Plat 4x4 maximum payload is probably met simply by putting your family in the cab and filling up the fuel tank or perhaps it's exceeded.
BOTruck - my point exactly - and the truck handled fine (see post above) so I'm not worried about it...now if I was to take it to the extreme and try and haul 30 100lb bags of concrete (just as an example) I'd be asking for all kinds of trouble and wouldn't attempt it....just saying I guess, these trucks are a lot tougher than the "liability avoidance based" door jamb sticker would have one believe and while I certainly don't condone <seriously> exceeding the GVWR limit, I'm not at all worried about using the truck as a truck...using an example, let's say you're headed to Grandma's house for Thanksgiving dinner and have your family, gear and a full tank of gas and you have reached your GVWR capacity....yet there's that comfy armchair that you wanted to give Grandma to relax in...it weighs 150lbs....are you gonna make those old tired bones wait becasue you are already at your GVWR?

Old 06-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by HotLap
BOTruck - my point exactly - and the truck handled fine (see post above) so I'm not worried about it...now if I was to take it to the extreme and try and haul 30 100lb bags of concrete (just as an example) I'd be asking for all kinds of trouble and wouldn't attempt it....just saying I guess, these trucks are a lot tougher than the "liability avoidance based" door jamb sticker would have one believe and while I certainly don't condone <seriously> exceeding the GVWR limit, I'm not at all worried about using the truck as a truck...using an example, let's say you're headed to Grandma's house for Thanksgiving dinner and have your family, gear and a full tank of gas and you have reached your GVWR capacity....yet there's that comfy armchair that you wanted to give Grandma to relax in...it weighs 150lbs....are you gonna make those old tired bones wait becasue you are already at your GVWR?

Hotlap you are so full of it. I see you just the other day leaving lowes with your mate catching a lift. I even have proff

Old 06-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Yup, tell Grandma that big ole truck can't carry squat because it's so heavily loaded with creature features, there was no capacity left to haul that armchair. Sorry, grandma, no chair for you.

Ford has a slick marketing department for the F150s.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Yup, tell Grandma that big ole truck can't carry squat because it's so heavily loaded with creature features, there was no capacity left to haul that armchair. Sorry, grandma, no chair for you.

Ford has a slick marketing department for the F150s.
HotLap is correct though that the sticker is just a sticker and has nothing to do with what your truk can really carry. The GVWR is very low for how capable the vehical is. I dont need to go over GVWR as it's only ever me and my trailer or me and my wife in my truck but if i was one of these guys who needed to go over capacity by a couple of hunderd pound i wouldnt be at all worreid that it couldnt handle it. I wouldnt even think twice about putting 3 fully grown men in my truck with golf clubs. I know by brakes can handle it as they can stop a fully loaded 20ft trailer ithout electric brakes. I know the axle's and tires can handle it as im still well below there max. The weak link here the that stiker and nothing else.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:09 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carrying an extra 150 pounds for grandma once in a trucks lifetime is fine. Planning to purchase an RV for the family with 15% tongue weight on a 6000 pound trailer that could put a vehicle 1000 pounds over GVWR two weekends a month is stupid.

Barrita, your picture with the cargo trailer makes me think your truck is over GVWR.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by APT
Carrying an extra 150 pounds for grandma once in a trucks lifetime is fine. Planning to purchase an RV for the family with 15% tongue weight on a 6000 pound trailer that could put a vehicle 1000 pounds over GVWR two weekends a month is stupid.

Barrita, your picture with the cargo trailer makes me think your truck is over GVWR.
Trailer 95% of the time weights in at about 6000-7000 depending on what tools i take. Sometimes i will take some materials from lowes or HD and might hit 7500-8000lb. But i only tow my trailer when im on my own working so my 900lbs payload is just about right with 10% tongue weight, Me and fuel.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:40 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10% is an estimate for what most bumper pull trailers are designed to handle well. Yours could be more or less, depending on how you load it.

I'm not trying to harp on you. You know you are close to (+/-) the published specs for your truck and hopefully drive accordingly.