2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

"Payload" Featherweights

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what it's worth... all vehicles are required by law to have the sticker from the factory... now if a previous owner removed it, that's a different story.

Also, I am dying to look at my father-in-law's TREAD act sticker now... on his 2008 Tundra. I will check it this weekend and report back.

I still find it amazing that a Saturn Outlook (which we love honestly) can have a higher payload than my truck... maybe I should have purchased an SUV. And in Motortrend when they gave truck of the year to the F, they said that it was due to the higher payload rating than a comparably equipped Ram... I wonder if they took the actual payload into consideration, or just the marketing hoop-la of the least equipped version. Just that one section in regard to higher payload really swayed my dumb butt to stick with the F. I am glad I did, but still... I should have done more homework. Ford has some GREAT marketeers.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by johnyb777
For what it's worth... all vehicles are required by law to have the sticker from the factory... now if a previous owner removed it, that's a different story.

Also, I am dying to look at my father-in-law's TREAD act sticker now... on his 2008 Tundra. I will check it this weekend and report back.

I still find it amazing that a Saturn Outlook (which we love honestly) can have a higher payload than my truck... maybe I should have purchased an SUV. And in Motortrend when they gave truck of the year to the F, they said that it was due to the higher payload rating than a comparably equipped Ram... I wonder if they took the actual payload into consideration, or just the marketing hoop-la of the least equipped version. Just that one section in regard to higher payload really swayed my dumb butt to stick with the F. I am glad I did, but still... I should have done more homework. Ford has some GREAT marketeers.
Tha ram has a 400lb disadvantage straight off and when spec'd the same they are almost the same Curb weight. I bet there's rams driveing about with 500-600lb payloads from the factory.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:28 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dbossman has posted an email he got from a Ford employee that gave estimated payloads for the competition. Everyone has about the same issue when their trucks are loaded up with options/features. Check out Edmunds test specifications for heavily optioned pickups. Note curb weight as tested for each model. You'll have to find GVWR for each truck from other sources as the article never referenced it. I bet they tested overlaoded trucks.

Ford used to create a document that listed the weight and payload impact for every trim level and options in a document called Engineering Specifications. I have this for the 2003 model year, from when I had access to such documentation. I'd love to see this document for 2009 models! See this excerpt:

Option Weight (Front/Total) (lbs.)
OPTIONS (Cont’d)
Entertainment System, Rear Seat (SuperCrew) (15/23)
Fog Lamps (4/3)
Moon Roof, Power (13/23)
Pedals, Power Adjustable (3/5)
Power Driver’s Seat/Auto Lamp (2/5)
Radio With Single CD (8/7)
Radio, Dual Media (Cassette/Single CD) (9/8)
Radio With 6-Disc In-Dash CD Player (CDX6) (9/9)
Radio, Audiophile (SuperCrew) (10/19)
Seat, Cloth 40/60 Split Bench (Regular Cab) (22/38)
Seat, Cloth 40/60 Split Bench (SuperCab) (37/66)
Seats, Captain’s Chairs (Regular Cab) (19/32)
Seats, Captain’s Chairs (SuperCab) (35/60)
Seats, Captain’s Chairs (SuperCrew) (-3/-5)
Seats, Captain’s Chairs Rear (King Ranch) (5/10)
Seats, Heated (3/4)
Sub-Total: (Front/Total)
OPTIONS (Cont’d)
Shock Absorbers, Rancho (2/4)
Skid Plates (120.2″ WB) (11/14)
Skid Plates (All except 120.2″ WB) (23/52)
Tonneau Cover (Regular Cab/SuperCab) (2/40)
Tow Hooks (17/13)
Transfer Case, Electric-shift (-1/-2)
Wheels, 16” Aluminum (-28/-61)
Wheels, 17” Tear Drop (SuperCrew) (10/31)
Wheels, 17” 10-Spoke (SuperCrew) (8/26)
Window, Sliding Rear (1/2)
Window, Power Sliding Rear (2/4)

Old 06-04-2009, 11:12 AM
From Motortrend:

"Ford claims it sells more of its half-ton pickups to work and commercial customers than its competitors do, and Ford predicts this segment will grow to 45 percent of F-150 sales. Toward that end, the truck's fully boxed chassis is further fortified to provide best-in-class rigidity, payload capacity (up to 3030 pounds), and tow ratings (up to 11,300 pounds). As such, the new F-150 is well positioned to capture contractors migrating down-market out of Super-Dutys to save money and gas (did we mention that a new six-speed automatic, a lighter, more aerodynamic cab, and other tweaks boost fuel economy by 12 percent with the 5.4-liter?).

Ford claims payload and towing numbers like that simply can't be had with a coil-sprung rear axle, so it stuck with leafs but made them longer to smooth the ride and wider with new mounting hardware to improve lateral rigidity and roll control. The ride doesn't quite match Dodge's, but the chassis engineers managed to tune the steering for pleasing heft and remarkable accuracy that had many judges lauding the F-150s for feeling smaller and nimbler than their Dodge counterparts. Lateral grip of 0.70 g for both Fords bested all but the feathery base Dodge and Suzuki, and our rear-drive SXT scored the best stop at 133 feet from 60 mph (the three-ton Lariat needed 144 feet)."

So Ford stuck with leaf springs to oust the payload capacity of the competition... but that only applies at the base truck level... at the upper end level, crew cab, 4x4, they all rate very similarly. I have an FX4 so I guess I would be SOL, but it may be nice if the F came with coil springs for luxury level trucks... apparently, the payload doesn't really change that much, but the ride sure is smooth with coil springs. I know, not important stuff at this point, as I love my '09 and 1195 lbs will work, I will be close from time to time, but I think I can stay below it. If needed, I can put the coolers full of fish in the boat on the trailer instead of in the truck. But it makes for interesting discussion.

Still don't understand why a pick up would have lower payload capacities than a sedan or SUV. Does anyone have a late model year Ranger? What is the payload on that?

Old 06-04-2009, 11:22 AM
The reason the dont put coils on the rear is because a lot of people tow with there trucks. I think the Dodge can tow no more than about 6k lbs which is almost useless for most trailers. I wanted a luxery truck and mine hardly squats at all with my 8klb trailer. The same cant be said for the Ram. The crazy thing is Ford lowest rated truck is more capable than rams top end truck. I think the 6k lb figure is there max rateing. The Ford is 11k lbs. Big difference and this is why the ram should be move to the same class as the Avalanche and Ridgeline.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:32 PM
So what EVERYONE is saying is as follows...... If you load up your truck with 5 people that weigh 200# each, then you are over your capacity by a couple of hundred pounds. You still haven't put anything in the bed and you haven't hooked up your trailer. I am having a hard time believing any of this It looks like anyone that wants to tow a decent size trailer and carry their family with them better go straight to the F-450 because that is the only way to get any kind of towing capacity with enough payload to do so. How does that sound for ridiculous? The tow rating and the payload goes hand in hand. You cannot tow a trailer without putting weight on the truck. Average tongue weight for a loaded trailer is 12%. So if you hook up an 8000# trailer you have 960# of tongue weight. You are still not in the seat yet, and you are way over your capacity.This is pretty much a useless vehicle then. Anyone that has one, I am sure, will disagree. Ignore that stupid sticker..... if you don't, you basically just plopped down $40,000+ for a vehicle that will carry 2 people and a weeks worth of groceries and your at the "LEGAL" limit for the truck. Sounds pretty stupid doesn't it?

Old 06-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by APT
Dbossman has posted an email he got from a Ford employee that gave estimated payloads for the competition. Everyone has about the same issue when their trucks are loaded up with options/features. Check out Edmunds test specifications for heavily optioned pickups. Note curb weight as tested for each model. You'll have to find GVWR for each truck from other sources as the article never referenced it. I bet they tested overlaoded trucks.

Ford used to create a document that listed the weight and payload impact for every trim level and options in a document called Engineering Specifications. I have this for the 2003 model year, from when I had access to such documentation. I'd love to see this document for 2009 models! See this excerpt:

Option Weight (Front/Total) (lbs.)
OPTIONS (Cont’d)
Entertainment System, Rear Seat (SuperCrew) (15/23)
Fog Lamps (4/3)
Moon Roof, Power (13/23)
Pedals, Power Adjustable (3/5)
Power Driver’s Seat/Auto Lamp (2/5)
Radio With Single CD (8/7)
Radio, Dual Media (Cassette/Single CD) (9/8)
Radio With 6-Disc In-Dash CD Player (CDX6) (9/9)
Radio, Audiophile (SuperCrew) (10/19)
Seat, Cloth 40/60 Split Bench (Regular Cab) (22/38)
Seat, Cloth 40/60 Split Bench (SuperCab) (37/66)
Seats, Captain’s Chairs (Regular Cab) (19/32)
Seats, Captain’s Chairs (SuperCab) (35/60)
Seats, Captain’s Chairs (SuperCrew) (-3/-5)
Seats, Captain’s Chairs Rear (King Ranch) (5/10)
Seats, Heated (3/4)
Sub-Total: (Front/Total)
OPTIONS (Cont’d)
Shock Absorbers, Rancho (2/4)
Skid Plates (120.2″ WB) (11/14)
Skid Plates (All except 120.2″ WB) (23/52)
Tonneau Cover (Regular Cab/SuperCab) (2/40)
Tow Hooks (17/13)
Transfer Case, Electric-shift (-1/-2)
Wheels, 16” Aluminum (-28/-61)
Wheels, 17” Tear Drop (SuperCrew) (10/31)
Wheels, 17” 10-Spoke (SuperCrew) (8/26)
Window, Sliding Rear (1/2)
Window, Power Sliding Rear (2/4)
The Ford Fleet website has this information for 2000 through 2009 F-150s on its website at the following link: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckBBAS.../techspec.html

Choose your model year and truck/van model and it will bring up a PDF containing the detailed specs and payload calculation pages for your truck. I have an 04 Lariat Supercrew 4X4 and just calculated my payload, accounting for options, to be 1252 lbs.

Just checked the various model year documents and it appears Ford changed the format and content of these pages starting in 08 and don't have the detailed option/weight worksheet anymore, so you'll only be able to do the payload calcs on 2000-2007 F150s.

Last edited by v20clc; 06-04-2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Updated info
Old 06-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by the4by4freek
So what EVERYONE is saying is as follows...... If you load up your truck with 5 people that weigh 200# each, then you are over your capacity by a couple of hundred pounds. You still haven't put anything in the bed and you haven't hooked up your trailer. I am having a hard time believing any of this It looks like anyone that wants to tow a decent size trailer and carry their family with them better go straight to the F-450 because that is the only way to get any kind of towing capacity with enough payload to do so. How does that sound for ridiculous? The tow rating and the payload goes hand in hand. You cannot tow a trailer without putting weight on the truck. Average tongue weight for a loaded trailer is 12%. So if you hook up an 8000# trailer you have 960# of tongue weight. You are still not in the seat yet, and you are way over your capacity.This is pretty much a useless vehicle then. Anyone that has one, I am sure, will disagree. Ignore that stupid sticker..... if you don't, you basically just plopped down $40,000+ for a vehicle that will carry 2 people and a weeks worth of groceries and your at the "LEGAL" limit for the truck. Sounds pretty stupid doesn't it?
I tow a trailer that at times weights close to 8klbs and i weight about 170 so I'm pretty much on what my max payload is but i only use my truck for work and not carting my family about so i can get away with it but they do make trucks with less options and tow more than previous year models. There are way more options on the 09's compared to the 08's and all these extra things can lead to a truck with as little as 680lbs payload. Crazy yes but it is what you make it. If you want a truck with a 3000+lb payload then build the truck to handle that payload. But if i did have my wife and 2 kids in the truck then i would have about 400-500lb payload left to tow a 5000lb trailer or carry 500lbs of payload so there's still enough to play with for most people. Now if you had a familey that were obese then 900lbs aint gonne get you far. But for the nomal familey size i could easy do everything i need to with only 900lbs.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Hmmm Thats great...

1,203 (includes 150 driver as I recal)
- 75 (avg pickupdriver heavier than 150lbs)
- 675 (3 passengers also 225 lbs)
- 200 (avg weight of 4 golf bags)
- 250 (avg wieght of a tool box w/some tools inside
- 50 (weight of tow hitch, mud flaps, side steps you put on)
Whoops! Your over limit. You have to leave one of your buddies on the side of the road and hope someone picks him up as your overweight. OK his wife will come pick him up. She has 3 of her friends, a stroller, couple infant seats and some shopping bags in the back.... Much safer.

The problem is most 5th wheels etc when you look at hitch weight and look at how heavy F250s are... They are illeagal too. Need a F350 to legally tow even avg trailer/camper.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
Hmmm Thats great...

Whoops! Your over limit. You have to leave one of your buddies on the side of the road and hope someone picks him up as your overweight. OK his wife will come pick him up. She has 3 of her friends, a stroller, couple infant seats and some shopping bags in the back.... Much safer.

The problem is most 5th wheels etc when you look at hitch weight and look at how heavy F250s are... They are illeagal too. Need a F350 to legally tow even avg trailer/camper.
I think your 3 passengers should go on a diet lol

Old 06-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by the4by4freek
A lot of F150 screw owners are finding out their trucks aren't so potent, at least if they adhere to Fords stated capacity. The worse capacity I've seen are the fully loaded 4x4 Plats. The base work truck (regular cab) with HD suspension gets the maximum payload capacity and towing capacity (w/3.73 gears). In general, the more options/luxury along with the more doors you add, the lesser the payload capacity becomes.

If you ignore the 'stupid sticker' and overload the truck, your liability rests with you. The scary thing is most truck owners don't realize they maybe overloading their very luxurious truck just carrying 2 or 3 large men in the cab with a full tank of fuel.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia
The reason the dont put coils on the rear is because a lot of people tow with there trucks. I think the Dodge can tow no more than about 6k lbs which is almost useless for most trailers. I wanted a luxery truck and mine hardly squats at all with my 8klb trailer. The same cant be said for the Ram. The crazy thing is Ford lowest rated truck is more capable than rams top end truck. I think the 6k lb figure is there max rateing. The Ford is 11k lbs. Big difference and this is why the ram should be move to the same class as the Avalanche and Ridgeline.
So if you are trailering properly with your 8k lb trailer, you have no less than 10% of the weight over the tongue. So you are likely over your weight rating. So what I am getting at, the Ram is just as capable as far as ratings go. The tow rating is BS. If I was to hook up a 11k lb trailer, and hop in the driver's seat, I am over by 100lbs. if I have 10% of the trailer on the tongue. It's just crazy. I don't think you can think of a single predicament where the F is more capable within it's "legal limits" than any other truck... and the Avalanche and Ridgeline are probably more capable by the sticker on the door.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
Hmmm Thats great...

Now that's funny... how do you pick which guy to leave on the side of the road? Whichever one ate most beans? LOL :o

Old 06-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BIG_ole_TRUCK
...they may be overloading their...truck just carrying 2 or 3 large men in the cab with a full tank of fuel.

Remember the Siverado commericial with Howie Long?
He stops and offers a lift to a Dodge owner who ran out of gas.
Then he stops for a Ford owner and says, "What, you too? Get in." with a smile.

A hilarious commercial would be Howie walking down a deserted road with a gas can.
A new Ford pulls up and Howie looks glowingly into the cab, his long walk over.
The lone Ford driver says, "Can't help you bud, I'm over my weight limit."

Howie's face turns to shock and dispair as he quickly darts glances between the empty bed and nearly empty cab.
A lone tear descending his cheek.
[fade to black]

Old 06-04-2009, 02:53 PM
People do realize that every truck and not just Ford have this problem? it ain't just the Ford's. If you equip any of these trucks to a high end fully loaded model they all have crap payload ratings some even worse than the Fords. The thing is Ford have many more options than the others so you can make your truck almost as heavy as you like. Remember when they are similarly equipped the Ford will have the better payload and tow rating. I keep seeing people say the Ram is as good as a F150 but it's not. As i have said the Rams highest equipped truck tow rating is about 6000lb's and Fords is about 11000lb's so i don't see how some people are saying they are as capable. They are almost 50% less capable. But i guess we could just keep comparing the f150 fully loaded with every option to the Ram! My truck has maybe one of the lowest payloads available but i can still tow more than a highest towing equipped Ram. There tow rateings are what they are and if you want to ignore the Rams tow rateing then couldnt the same also be said for the Fords. The figures are what they are.