2009 - 2014 F-150

USB 2 working great. (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay i understand the physical aspect of this mod. But i have read on another site about a problem switching between USB1 and USB2. Can you simply say usb1 or usb2 and it will switch. Or do you have to unplug one to get the other to work?

Last edited by broncobran68; 03-18-2009 at 04:21 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by broncobran68
Okay i understand the physical aspect of this mod. But i have read on another site about a problem switching between USB1 and USB2. Can you simply say usb1 or usb2 and it will switch. Or do you have to unplug one to get the other to work?
Errrr good question. The reason to have the extra USB slot for me was to hide the MP3 player so it was not in view and out of the way. I now have no need for the first usb port so i aint tried that. but i guess that with the USB on the go standard it uses, the system wont be able to sync with 2 drives at the same time. But if you are running 2 hardrives or mp3 players then you sound like you have way more music than me. I have just over 200gb of music and thats a lot of music i can tell ya lol. Theirs really no need to use 2 at a time.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm pretty sure you can just switch between "USB1" and "USB2" just like you would between any other input devices (line-in, sirius, etc.) I'm not sure, but when I get this done in a week or so, I can try two devices and report back (unless someone has a chance to do so before I do).

Old 03-18-2009, 11:50 AM
I can test in in a few mins spydyrwyr.

(update) It seems to work fine. i used a 80gb zune and my 320gb hardrive and bothed work and you can switch between the 2. but it did have a problem indexing so sync voice activation may not work for all songs.

Last edited by Barritia; 03-18-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Well that sounds like good news Barritia. I dont have anywhere near 200GB of music. I would just like to have a hard drive in the console at all times. That way i dont need to pack my ipod around. But if i go on a road trip with someone i dont want to unplug the hard drive to listen to their ipod.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:44 AM
Just wanted to give a quick update; I did the mod yesterday and it's working quite well. I ran the cable from the port (by the center channel speaker) down to the right, around the right air duct, down the right side of the stereo, then came up in front of the gear shifter through a little crack in between two trim pieces. Then I came in the front of the console, there was little hole in the top right corner of the front console wall, just big enough for a USB connector. I started at the rear console and fished the cable forward, up to the center speaker. Below is what I did, there may be an easier way, but I tried to minimize disassembly of the console and dash, so I followed the path of least resistance...

I removed (in order):

1. Center channel speaker - remove mat, unscrew 2 bolts, then slide the tray forward toward windshield

2. Center console trim (front cup holders and gear shifter surround) - lift from back of trim piece, rotate toward dash.

3. Console lid and hinge - remove the set of 3 flat head torx bolts (the lower set, not the 4 phillips head)

4. Large console trim - remove 2 hex bolts below USB/Line-in sync interface, then lift from rear cup holders, rotate towards dash (pretty high), then lift the forward most edge straight up (there are two vertical tabs there just below sync interface)

5. Passenger side kick panel trim (between carpet and large console trim) - gently pull straight towards passenger side door to loosen tabs, then slide panel toward back of truck to remove (this is just to give access to make wire routing easier.

6. Glove box door - squeeze side walls together and rotate downward (this gives you sufficient room and access to fish the wire through from the floor and up to the center speaker)

One quick note, if you only have one device plugged in and use voice to access "USB," it automatically goes to USB2, meaning you don't have to say "USB 2," and it's the same way when you use the screen to cycle through (line-in, USB, USB2, BlueTooth). Pretty awesome mod, now my iPod isn't sitting out for the world to see and i've got 2 USB ports!! Thanks again to Barritia for being a pioneer!!

Old 03-27-2009, 02:56 PM
I just did the mod!! It was super easy. Works perfectly. for figuring this out

Old 03-27-2009, 03:05 PM
No problem guys. I think im gonna have to redo my cables as i have 3 cables and a adaptor and it sometimes dont connect with my system. Im gonna get a one piece cable and run it the whole length to my hardrive. It could be because i suck more power from the USB when i run a hardrive as it has no internal battery.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:52 PM
Hey Guys Buy.com has a 160 GB WD portable hard drive for $49. USB powered.
Buy.com Sku: 206780494

Last edited by sandydiego; 03-31-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:04 PM
You've solved my only complaint so far with my truck! Hopefully there is a decent way to run the wire on a split bench seat. Or maybe just put the second plug in the glovebox?

Old 03-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by matt_m
You've solved my only complaint so far with my truck! Hopefully there is a decent way to run the wire on a split bench seat. Or maybe just put the second plug in the glovebox?
Yeah glove box would also be fine.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia
No problem guys. I think im gonna have to redo my cables as i have 3 cables and a adaptor and it sometimes dont connect with my system. Im gonna get a one piece cable and run it the whole length to my hardrive. It could be because i suck more power from the USB when i run a hardrive as it has no internal battery.
I used a ps3 cable $10 and a dbl female connector I picked up for $5 at a local PC Warehouse. The only issue is sometimes after shutting the truck off while listening to ipod on usb2 ( running errands etc) then turning it back on I have to reselect usb2. Other than that no real problems, havent tried the hard drive yet but will soon.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by smkeater
I used a ps3 cable $10 and a dbl female connector I picked up for $5 at a local PC Warehouse. The only issue is sometimes after shutting the truck off while listening to ipod on usb2 ( running errands etc) then turning it back on I have to reselect usb2. Other than that no real problems, havent tried the hard drive yet but will soon.
Yeah thats what i was doing at first but my cables didnt reach where i wanted them but i have got around it now and it runs perfectly as i have less joins and a shorter cable.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:42 PM
OK, let's get the cable requirements straight. How long a cable is enough to go from 2nd USB to inside center console box? My HD has a female mini USB B connector so do I want a male/male ended mini USB B cable to avoid adapters? If so, I haven't been able to find one.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by willywaxer
OK, let's get the cable requirements straight. How long a cable is enough to go from 2nd USB to inside center console box? My HD has a female mini USB B connector so do I want a male/male ended mini USB B cable to avoid adapters? If so, I haven't been able to find one.
The less connections the better. They do make mini usb to min usb cables but they are like rocking horse **** to find. So best bet is join what cables you have and test them a few times before installing them. Some cables are better than others and they also make usb cable boosters which may help. I can almost put money down that ford make a cable that is long enough to go from the head unit to the the center console. You could get away with a 6 ft cable if you are willing to make a hole in the center console and under the gear shifter plate.

Quick Reply: USB 2 working great. (pics inside)