2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Remote Starter - Factory or Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

That would be very cool, if the 6-button Ford gold system could be hooked up to use one of the AUX buttons to get the defrost heating up the windshield on those frigid new england winter mornings before work. Keep us apprised!

Old 09-17-2009, 08:08 AM
heated and cooled seats are on the can-network you can't simply pulse them on. you would have to wire directly to the back of the switch to simulate the switch being pressed, which would mean breaking open the electronic control module.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Cometflash, are you talking about the standard front windshield defrost? If so, you just leave the front defrost setting on the climate control the night before and it will turn on automatically when you remote start your truck.

We were talking about the tapping into the side mirror/rear window defrost wire, which can be wired into an AUX channel on the Ford system.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Red face

Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
Cometflash, are you talking about the standard front windshield defrost? If so, you just leave the front defrost setting on the climate control the night before and it will turn on automatically when you remote start your truck.

We were talking about the tapping into the side mirror/rear window defrost wire, which can be wired into an AUX channel on the Ford system.
That would certainly make sense. Maybe I was tired, because that's what I've always done with all my 150's, just hit the defrost button before shutting off my truck after pulling into the driveway each night. Easy. Not sure what I was thinking. Although I was picturing both the windshield and side-view's defrosting when I wrote that yesterday. Not sure what the heck I was thinking, maybe I need to get some sleep. Just ignore that post. :o

Old 09-18-2009, 01:58 AM
Well that sucked. I had three 09 F150s to do today. One F150 rescheduled for Monday. The two I worked on today were cloth and didn't have heated seats. The Monday truck is a basic 2009 XL. I'm installing power windows, door locks, remote starter, radio and speakers. Maybe I can talk him into letting me put some aftermarket heated seats in there too. THEN I can say I have hooked up the heated seats in an 09....lol

The next heated seat equipped one I get with some time to spare I'll tear into it and see what I can come up with.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Six Button Remote?

I have a 2010 FX4 on order with the factory remote start. I see by the posts that there is a six button remote available as well as the four button with a second fob for the remote start feature. Is there a way to ensure I get the six button remote?

I am currently deployed in Iraq and will take delivery in late December so there is time for me to make changes if I want.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Well, I read all 8 pages of this, as this is something I'm not familiar with at all. And, after researching each one and looking at the pros and cons, I'd decided on the Clifford Matrix 50.7X. Looked great. However, now once again, I get to complain about living in a po-dunk town...and not having the option to get what I want within 150 miles.

So, my options are:

1. Go with the Ford 6-button from the dealer for $623 installed, plus tax.

2. Then, there's BestBuy, who only sells the Viper 5701...not the 5901. And, their installed price is $610, plus tax. The 5701 does not have the LED.

3. Or, the local auto security/sound shop here sells Excalibur. They quoted an Excalibur AL-1810-EDP installed for $440 out the door.

Does anyone know anything about the Excalibur? After reading 8 pages, I didn't see one remark on an Excalibur...so I just wanted to see what everyone thinks. Is this the way to go, considering my limited options?

Sure wish I was somewhere near KCAutoSound!

Old 09-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Excaliber is owned/made by Omega Research. They also produce K9 and a hand full of others much like DEI has Viper, Python, Clifford ans so on.

I've never been really a fan of Omega products but that's not to say thay aren't any good. Earlier last year my regional sales rep for Code Alarm, Ronny Brashears, was released of duties with them. he then was picked up by Omega instantly and put on their design and rep team. Now after a year the Omega lineup is starting to resemble some of the Code products and features such as the start-stick models and some others. My local distibutor down the street carries all Omega products. If there is a model you are looking at I can research it for you and give you my take on it.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the info. Sure, I'd appreciate that. They have the Excalibur AL-1810-EDP. I've read some good reviews on it...but haven't found a whole lot of them at all. I don't think the Ford unit is almost $200 better...but I'd originally thought that way, until I read this post. And, I sure don't want to have warranty problems. But, then I read here where if it were a reputable company doing the install, that wouldn't be a problem. And, isn't that Ford system just a one-way? And, doesn't it just use the horn?

Thanks again.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by MickeyMorris
Well, I read all 8 pages of this, as this is something I'm not familiar with at all. And, after researching each one and looking at the pros and cons, I'd decided on the Clifford Matrix 50.7X. Looked great. However, now once again, I get to complain about living in a po-dunk town...and not having the option to get what I want within 150 miles.

So, my options are:

1. Go with the Ford 6-button from the dealer for $623 installed, plus tax.

2. Then, there's BestBuy, who only sells the Viper 5701...not the 5901. And, their installed price is $610, plus tax. The 5701 does not have the LED.

3. Or, the local auto security/sound shop here sells Excalibur. They quoted an Excalibur AL-1810-EDP installed for $440 out the door.

Does anyone know anything about the Excalibur? After reading 8 pages, I didn't see one remark on an Excalibur...so I just wanted to see what everyone thinks. Is this the way to go, considering my limited options?

Sure wish I was somewhere near KCAutoSound!
Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the 5701 have the LED built into the antenna?

Im with KC...not a huge fan of excalibur stuff.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:26 PM
And if you would rather have the 5901, but it online and bring it to install. Just because we dont carry it doesnt mean we wont install it.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by AWorthington
I have a 2010 FX4 on order with the factory remote start. I see by the posts that there is a six button remote available as well as the four button with a second fob for the remote start feature. Is there a way to ensure I get the six button remote?

I am currently deployed in Iraq and will take delivery in late December so there is time for me to make changes if I want.
If you factory ordered the remote start, then you only get the 1-button version meaning you have to carry 2 remote fobs around. If you want the 6-button remote start and alarm, you'll have to get it as a dealer add-on after your truck is delivered. The four button model is supposedly no longer being produced but can still be found in dealer stock or online.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by MickeyMorris
And, I sure don't want to have warranty problems. But, then I read here where if it were a reputable company doing the install, that wouldn't be a problem. And, isn't that Ford system just a one-way? And, doesn't it just use the horn?
yes, the Ford models are only 1-way, and they now only use the horn for the alarm sound (random type beeps). But they are really reliable and like you said you don't have to worry about warranty problems. I've been using the Ford systems for over 7 years now and I never had any problems.

if you can install the system yourself, or find a cheap local installer, then you can save a few bucks by buying the system online.

Last edited by SteveVFX4; 10-16-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:37 AM
yes, the Ford models are only 1-way, and they now only use the horn for the alarm sound (random type beeps). But they are really reliable and like you said you don't have to worry about warranty problems. I've been using the Ford systems for over 7 years now and I never had any problems.

if you can install the system yourself, or find a cheap local installer, then you can save a few bucks by buying the system online. I still have 2 6-button systems available, PM me for details.
As long as its installed by a professional installer, there will be no warranty problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

Old 09-21-2009, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by Sundevil2188
Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the 5701 have the LED built into the antenna?

Im with KC...not a huge fan of excalibur stuff.
Yes, the LED's are built in...that was a type-o on my part. It should've read LCD. The 5701 doesn't have the LCD screen like the 5901 does.

I can definitely understand you guys not being fans of Excalibur stuff. But, is the Viper 5701 or the Ford 6-button worth $200 more than the Excalibur AL-1810-EDP? If they are, fine...I'll spend the extra money. But, if they're not.......

Thanks Steve...I thought the Ford models were only 1-way. And, I really can't justify paying $623 for a 1-way remote. I'm sure they're reliable, but they ought to be half that price if they're only 1-way.

Originally Posted by Sundevil2188
And if you would rather have the 5901, but it online and bring it to install. Just because we dont carry it doesnt mean we wont install it.
I didn't realize that. This could solve my problem. So, what you're saying is BestBuy will install anything I buy for the $200 listed on the BestBuy web site?

Sundevil, this brings up another question. I've seen the Viper 5701 online everywhere for $125-$185. Why in the world is it listed on BestBuy.com at $409.99? If that includes install, I could understand it...and probably go that route. But, the website doesn't say it includes install, so I just assumed it doesn't and added the $199.99 install price to the $409.99.

I've also found the Viper 5901 for $218 online. And, you're saying if I buy this for $218, I can bring it to BestBuy to be installed for $199.99? Making my total for a Viper 5901 installed..........$418?

Thanks for all your help guys. Like I said, this is a whole new area for me...and I don't have a clue.

Quick Reply: Remote Starter - Factory or Aftermarket?