2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Remote Starter - Factory or Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KCAutosound
The 09 does not have an alarm system on it. The dealer book only shows that a single button system will go onto them but the six button will too. The six button system is a all-in-one remote start/keyless/alarm. You can completely turn off the alarm feature on it if you don't wish to have it. I have installed the six button system on 30+ platinums already.
How much should I expect to pay to install the six button all in one and is it covered under factory warrant?

Local Alarm shop here wants $830 to install a viper 5901 but I am concerned about the whole after market not covered by warrant .....

Old 03-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by jac4x4
How much should I expect to pay to install the six button all in one and is it covered under factory warrant?

Local Alarm shop here wants $830 to install a viper 5901 but I am concerned about the whole after market not covered by warrant .....
warranty declined if it a install related issue, so if they do a **** job and it causes problems the dealer has to fix then you might have to pay, if they do a great job and any issue you may have has nothing to do with the rmst then its going to be covered, persoanly don't waste your money on any Ford rmst they are ***.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Deano-FX4
warranty declined if it a install related issue, so if they do a **** job and it causes problems the dealer has to fix then you might have to pay, if they do a great job and any issue you may have has nothing to do with the rmst then its going to be covered, persoanly don't waste your money on any Ford rmst they are ***.
Thanks for the feedback, The alarm shop I checked is considered very good. I think I'll go aftermarket Viper 5901 as the ford dealer quoted me $850 to install the Ford unit and they sounded like they really did not want to even do it!

Old 03-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Deano-FX4
, persoanly don't waste your money on any Ford rmst they are ***.
They are not that bad if you want just a basic system. I've had them on 2 trucks in the last 8 years and they have been flawless for me. I had the 4 button units (Code Alarm CA-530 equivalent). I feel they are good basic keyless/rmst system with decent range too. You can add 2 Aux options to them as well. If you don't need the LCD screen, 2 way confirmation, all that stuff, then they are good.

But the dealer does charge so much for them. best to buy cheap online and install yourself using Ford's own technical instructions found online as well. Or even just the buy the CA-530 instead.

But I would agree the 1-button remote starts are not that great. Because they are overpriced and you have to carry two fobs around and you can't add any options to them.

I know you're an installer but I don't see the need to totally bash them.

Having said all that, I'm going with a Viper 5501 or 5901 on my new 09 truck! LOL

Old 03-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by KCAutosound
The 09 does not have an alarm system on it. The dealer book only shows that a single button system will go onto them but the six button will too. The six button system is a all-in-one remote start/keyless/alarm. You can completely turn off the alarm feature on it if you don't wish to have it. I have installed the six button system on 30+ platinums already.
KC, if I may ask, "Then what the $&#@ is the issue where dealers are saying just the Platinum models can't get remote start? Is there something that is functionally different on the Platinum model that there has to be a special work-around to make them function?" Not mad at you, and thanks for the info (all-in-one is perfect). Just generally bewildered by the constant "Platinum's only can't get remote start issue from FMC."

Old 03-06-2009, 09:03 PM
i am a installer yes, but i am Ford tech first, our dealer doesn't even carry Ford rmst systems because we don't think they give or add value to our customers purchases. we only install compustar pro series systems.

Cometflash, the reason they are talking about the platinum's is because the late model builds will almost all becoming with factory security but so do all 09 F350'S, Expedition's, Navigators and the F150 will in time, and it is just intrusion security, which means someone has to break in and when the door or hood is opened the alarm would go off.

Now Ford has removed any direct connection for disarming the security, it use to be there would be a wire off the door lock key cylinder that you would pulse ground and it would disarm it, well now this is all controlled with in the security module and it only disarms with factory fob or key.

So with that said working with the people who sell the rmst products we use at work (aftermarket rmst compustar) and with other installers we have come up with a way to disarm the factory security with using the rmst system, but it not simple and you need good products to work with. because the work around is that we have to wake up three separate circuits at the same time tricking the truck into thinking that the factory key was used.

it sounds more complicated then it actually is but with a good installer using good products it can be done. but the Ford rmst systems just don't have the tech built into them to allow it.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:18 PM
I have a Platinum now and when I do the factory alarm test by rolling the window down, locking the doors with the fob, come back a few minutes later and reach in and open the door, the alarm does not go off on my truck. So I'm thinking there is no factory alarm in the Platinum??? I have a Job #2 model.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:44 PM
early build models might not have it, i have installed RMST on platinums which haven't had a factory alarm. the best way to ell is to look under the hood for a hood pin switch, should be mounted on the left inner fender near the coolant over flow tank.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:59 AM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
KC, if I may ask, "Then what the $&#@ is the issue where dealers are saying just the Platinum models can't get remote start? Is there something that is functionally different on the Platinum model that there has to be a special work-around to make them function?" Not mad at you, and thanks for the info (all-in-one is perfect). Just generally bewildered by the constant "Platinum's only can't get remote start issue from FMC."
I don't know why they don't list the 09 to have a 6-button starter/alarm on it. There is a chart that the dealer goes by that lists what remote starters are recommended for the vehicles. On this chart I see that they only recommend the single button system that has the pre-made ignition harness. Basically it plugs into the trucks ignition and then the original ignition wiring plugs into it. Down in the kick panel on the 09 F150 they have left extra wiring loops on the parking light, lock and door sensing wires that can be stripped back so the single button system can be connected to it.

That $850 price tag that they are giving you is crazy. I install the 6 button systems for my dealers for $365. Most of the dealers around here sell it for $450 to $600.

NONE of the F150s ever have a OEM alarm system on them. It's kind of silly. I have come across some of the 09 Superdutys that do.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:02 AM
KC, if you have a dealer look up the Lincoln MKS with push button start they list a RMST option, but no one has the tech to do a RMST in a MKS push button start yet not even Ford. but i have been told by our sales rep that by the end of 09 we will see a complete line of data interface modules that will be able to control most Ford products through the data bus which will remove the need to to do direct wire to wire connections when installing RMST systems. just GM, Dodge and other manufactures have now.

For a example the 09 Chevy truck only requires 6 wires to be connected for a full RMST alarm system. i have done a couple and it is a very slick way of doing things.

and the reason they don't list a 6 button for the plat is they can't figure out how to get around the security.

i have seen F150's over the years with factory alarm but it was very rare, and they were in the 97-2003 body line, and we will see the F150 with a factory alarm in later builds.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Just got the viper 5901 installed and I am just starting to checkout the features. One thing I noticed that I'll have to look into is when I do a remote start and then let it timeout, the engine turns off but the radio and cliamte keep on going until you open the door......seems like this could be a bit of an issue for your battery if you forget.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is everyone's beef with factory remote starters on the '09's (other than not being able to add features)? I've got a factory one on my FX4, and it's worked great, long range, through several walls, etc. I also very much like the "quick stop" feature or whatever it's called, where you can run into the store and leave the truck running sans-keys. Is there something I should be worried about in the future?

Old 03-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by spydyrwyr
Just out of curiosity, what is everyone's beef with factory remote starters on the '09's (other than not being able to add features)? I've got a factory one on my FX4, and it's worked great, long range, through several walls, etc. I also very much like the "quick stop" feature or whatever it's called, where you can run into the store and leave the truck running sans-keys. Is there something I should be worried about in the future?
you should be fine. There is no real beef, it's just the factory single one-button remote starts are pretty expensive for what you get (no real options to add heated seats or rear defrost, and you have to carry around 2 key fobs, etc.), compared to other aftermarket brands out there. And virtually all remote starts have that quick stop feature.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Quick Stop feature, eh? Never noticed if any of mine ever had that, sounds handy when stopping at conv store, etc. Will have to check the rmst manual when I get my '09 rmst and see if it can do that. Cool beans.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:48 PM
What happens with the door code system in any of these alarm scenarios? Do any of them preserve the ability to get in the vehicle via the door code or will it always set the alarm off?

Quick Reply: Remote Starter - Factory or Aftermarket?