2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The New vs Refresh Debate

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 01:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The New vs Refresh Debate

It's time to put an end to this. If anyone still thinks 2009 F-150 is not new, listen to the guy who wrote the 2009 showroom brochure for Ford. He had this to say on one of the blogs in response to someone saying the new 2009 F-150 was just a "refresh". There a lot of things he left out like the locker and the Platinum and little things like the new fuel cap and muffler, but you get the point. 95% of it is new...

----

"The F-150 is a mid-cycle refresh."?

Wrong. 95% of the truck is new. The outside sheet metal between the A pillar and back of the cab is the thing that didn't change.

NEW:
New sheetmetal from front bumper to A-pillar and back-of-cab to rear bumper, plus larger cargo boxes

Unsurpassed 21 mpg hwy with SFE Package

Three V8 engine lineup

4.6L 3-valve V8

6-speed automatic transmission w/Tow-Haul Mode

Strongest-in-class frames (Not just revisions - all-new parts)

Towing capacity increased to 11,300 lbs. and available with every cab style

Standard AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability Control

Standard Trailer Sway Control

Class-exclusive box-side steps

Class-exclusive tailgate step

New safety cage with hydroformed ultra-high-strength steel: 75% stronger than '08

Standard 6-airbags including front seat-side airbags and Safety Canopy System with roll-fold side-curtain airbags and rollover protection

All-new interior including new seat designs, new instrument panel and flat rear loadfloor in SuperCab and SuperCrew.

One-touch folding rear seat in SuperCrew

Ford Sync Communications and Entertainment System

Ford Work Solutions full-function in-dash computer, with available tool tracking, fleet tracking and tool anti-theft systems

Advanced Navigation Radio with available SIRIUS Travel Link

---

He futher writes....

Again Jimbo, 95% of the truck is new. How do I know? I wrote the 2009 showroom brochure. I have worked on the project since 2006, saw the truck at the Ford Product Development Center (PDC) at its first introduction to Ford marketing groups, spent 3 days at PDC getting a front-to-back review of all the new vehicle systems. The frames were completely reconfigured to provide the flat loadfloor in SuperCab and SuperCrew (innovation), they are stronger yet lighter than before (for increased towing capacity and fuel savings), and as far as the guys who designed them are concerned, they are new. How do I know? I asked them. The safety cage and front structure we redesigned from the ground up and use new materials, per my interviews with the guys who designed them. Ditto the interior. The SFE version gets 21 mpg hwy; a mileage barrier that only Ford and Chevy have managed to break in a full-size pickup. That's new. Ford is the only company to offer a full-function (internet access, word-processing, spreadsheets) in-dash computer with wireless keyboard, available wireless printer and Bluetooth phone connectivity. That's innovative. Apparently u missed the word LARGER to describe the word cargo boxes. That means they were redesigned. About the only systems that didn't get a complete makeover were brakes and suspension. Yet even these were significantly upgraded to improve ride and handling, as well as support the increased towing capacity.

Link: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/20/0...f-texas-award/

Last edited by Rambo; 11-16-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I didn't know there was a debate.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:33 AM
There sure is. There's been many 04-08 owners who seem to think the truck is 95% indentical. I dont see it at all my self but again it's the way most last gen owners feel when there model is superseded. They are trying to justify, in there own mind that the truck is not a lot different when in fact it's a lot different. My wife is a psychologist and she has a big word for it! Rationalization

Old 11-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Looks very similar to the outgoing model but I am sure it drives much nicer.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just remember, the more things "Change", the more they stay the same! Nothing noteworthy here to make me rush in to trade my reliable 2007! A Raptor with a 6.2.....now thats a different story!

Old 11-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
Just remember, the more things "Change", the more they stay the same! Nothing noteworthy here to make me rush in to trade my reliable 2007! A Raptor with a 6.2.....now thats a different story!
The more things change the more they stay the same? 95% of it has changed. Maybe if you mean Ford is still #1 and the Ram is still dead last, things are still the same. I wouldn't expect you to rush to trade a 1 year old truck. That would be ridiculous. The people that want, need or desire the new F-150 should buy one.

The Raptor is awesome but If I had to chose one truck, I would still chose the regular F-150 over the Raptor because for every thing you gain you lose something else....short bed only, less cargo, no crew cab, less payload and towing. I would buy it as a second truck or if I did not need a truck for work.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia
There sure is. There's been many 04-08 owners who seem to think the truck is 95% indentical. I dont see it at all my self but again it's the way most last gen owners feel when there model is superseded. They are trying to justify, in there own mind that the truck is not a lot different when in fact it's a lot different. My wife is a psychologist and she has a big word for it! Rationalization
Good post. That's the word I was looking for.

Trending Topics

Old 11-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Obama said there would be CHANGE....

Old 11-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Ford only changed one thing that I care about the trans now when they but some ***** under the hood I may look into one untill then we will be the weak truck

Old 11-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's a new refresh. Heh.

I call refresh, 'cause most everything in the 2009 F150 are parts and technologies that were in use in other Ford vehicles previously (integrated trailer brake controller, Sirius TravelLink/Sync, 6R-series automatic, 3V engines, tailgate step, AdvanceTrac, etc).

A lot of hard parts (engine, some drivetrain, some electrical and suspension stuff) crosses over between the '04-'08 and 2009. That's a refresh, IMO, not a totally new vehicle.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
It's a new refresh. Heh.

I call refresh, 'cause most everything in the 2009 F150 are parts and technologies that were in use in other Ford vehicles previously (integrated trailer brake controller, Sirius TravelLink/Sync, 6R-series automatic, 3V engines, tailgate step, AdvanceTrac, etc).

A lot of hard parts (engine, some drivetrain, some electrical and suspension stuff) crosses over between the '04-'08 and 2009. That's a refresh, IMO, not a totally new vehicle.
Clearly your a last gen owner. You can kid your self all you like but it's a new truck no matter how you look at it. It's better than the last gen and it can use all te parts it likes from any gen as long as it better thats all that matters.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Barritia
Clearly your a last gen owner. You can kid your self all you like but it's a new truck no matter how you look at it. It's better than the last gen and it can use all te parts it likes from any gen as long as it better thats all that matters.
Yeah, and I work with them day in and day out. It's not a totally new vehicle, at least I don't think it is. I don't really care either way, just sayin'.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Yeah, and I work with them day in and day out. It's not a totally new vehicle, at least I don't think it is. I don't really care either way, just sayin'.
Well it clearly shows how much you dont know about the new truck. There's plenty of infomation regarding this. just google it. I think they said the only part that is the same is the A pillar and back of the cab sheet metal. Now if that is not a redesign i dont know what is. Do you really expect them to design the truck from the ground up and invent brandnew never used before parts before every time they bring out a new model. It will never happen.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:21 PM

I take it you've ordered or bought a 2009 model year truck. Like I said, I don't care either way, but whatever you gotta say to make yourself feel better...

Old 11-16-2008, 06:28 PM
I take it you've ordered or bought a 2009 model year truck. Like I said, I don't care either way, but whatever you gotta say to make yourself feel better...
Yes i have ordered a Platinum 5 months ago. I looked in to every truck for months and was just about ready to buy a 08 until the dealer told me about the 09's. I read about the improvements and it's night and day between the two. i thought it was worth the extra 15-17k over the 08 because the 08 was being superseded and the 09 was a far better deal as im keeping the truck until it's run into the ground. i would have bought the 09 for sync alone. let alone the 2000+ other improvements.

Quick Reply: The New vs Refresh Debate