2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The New vs Refresh Debate

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure what you're trying to prove, seems like you just bought an 09 and somehow feel like you didn't get enough change for your money because most here know the differences between the 04-08 to the new 09+, and people are going to view it however they want to. Is it a COMPLETE/FULL redesign...NO it's taken the existing platform (04-08) as the ground work and improved everything (corrected the 04-08 shortcomings) and I think most view it this way. The 97-03 to 04-08 is/was viewed as a COMPLETE redesign because it was, as it didn't share anything with that platform (97-03), it was a COMPLETE redesign from the ground up. Maybe you should try viewing it this way, which I think is the most relevant way to view it. Simply put and simply said, is the new 09+ better than any previous gen F-150? Yes, period, end of story. Who cares if it's a complete redesign vs. working with the existing platform and improving everything on it (which what it has done), just so long as it remains the best half ton truck on the market, and I feel it is

Old 11-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by 07fx4silver
Not sure what you're trying to prove, seems like you just bought an 09 and somehow feel like you didn't get enough change for your money because most here know the differences between the 04-08 to the new 09+, and people are going to view it however they want to. Is it a COMPLETE/FULL redesign...NO it's taken the existing platform (04-08) as the ground work and improved everything (corrected the 04-08 shortcomings) and I think most view it this way. The 97-03 to 04-08 is/was viewed as a COMPLETE redesign because it was, as it didn't share anything with that platform (97-03), it was a COMPLETE redesign from the ground up. Maybe you should try viewing it this way, which I think is the most relevant way to view it. Simply put and simply said, is the new 09+ better than any previous gen F-150? Yes, period, end of story. Who cares if it's a complete redesign vs. working with the existing platform and improving everything on it (which what it has done), just so long as it remains the best half ton truck on the market, and I feel it is

Clearly people dont know the changes as it's not the same truck lol. Wow how many people wanna keep bringing this up. if i was the same truck i would have saved my self 17k and bought an 08. From every pic i have seen alone i cant say that there's one thing inside or out that looks the same!!!! Am i viewing the wrong pics or infomation as im sure that it has been reviewed and shown as being a new truck and not a refresh??? Well i have seen many a post and infomation showing that it's a different truck so could someone please send me a link of infomation showing that it is the same truck as an 08 so i can save my self 17k.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia
Clearly people dont know the changes as it's not the same truck lol. Wow how many people wanna keep bringing this up. if i was the same truck i would have saved my self 17k and bought an 08. From every pic i have seen alone i cant say that there's one thing inside or out that looks the same!!!! Am i viewing the wrong pics or infomation as im sure that it has been reviewed and shown as being a new truck and not a refresh??? Well i have seen many a post and infomation showing that it's a different truck so could someone please send me a link of infomation showing that it is the same truck as an 08 so i can save my self 17k.
Useless debate and no one has said it's the SAME truck. Hope you don't lose any sleep

Old 11-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Another way to look at is somebody just bought an 07 and feels outdated by the new 09. Most people do not know the changes. If you had to pick between new and refresh, this would be a new truck. 2000 new parts is not a refresh.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have to agree with Quintin on this one. The 97 was a "NEW" truck, the 04 was a "NEW" truck. The 09 is a refresh, a major one but still a refresh. There is nothing new about the engines or trans in the 9's, the six speed trans is imported from the expy line and the 4.6 3v has been in the explorer since 06.

If you look back a few years, there was an idea floating around about doing a 6 inch stretch on a 04-08 screw and putting the longer scab doors on. Ford got the message and did exactly that on the 09 screws. The scabs are identical to the 04-08's. Another message ford heard was get rid of the useless half doors on the reg cabs, they did just that and now all cab styles have the same front doors (the same ones from the 04-08 scabs)

As far as I'm concerned, the 09's are just an overpriced 08 wearing a new suit.

Before you say I'm trying to rationalize that my 07 is just as good, maybe you are just trying to justify spending 17K for what amounts to a new suit.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:38 PM
a refresh would be minor cosmetic work on inside and out and maybe a couple of improvements. I bought a model car that was a refresh once. It had a 2 piece dash board instead of a 3 piece, different pattern on seats and a different front and rear bumper. Now that was a refresh as it refreshed the dated look of the last gen car. 2000+ improvements is a major rebuild of the truck.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Rambo
Another way to look at is somebody just bought an 07 and feels outdated by the new 09. Most people do not know the changes. If you had to pick between new and refresh, this would be a new truck. 2000 new parts is not a refresh.
From 1979 to 2004 the Mustang used the same platform even though a lot of changes where made between that time, as I think most will agree that an 04 cobra doesn't look or perform like an 79 fox body, but believe it or not they actually rode on the same platform. It wasn't until 2005 when the Mustang was COMPLETELY redesigned (built upon an entirely new platform). In 2004 the F-150 got an entirely new platform, not just 2000 new parts, but an entirely new platform. Nothing from the 97-03 trucks was shared with the 04-08 trucks (except the Ford and F-150 name). The 2009 is not built/based upon an entirerly new platform, it's based off the 04-08 trucks and corrected all of it's shortcomings (and has done a damn good job at it). The 2009 is definitely a NEW and BETTER truck in every aspect of the previous generation truck it replaces, but it is NOT a COMPLETE redesign. Also, I don't feel my 07 is outdated (I mean seriously ), as it can do anything an 09 can (if my truck can't tow/haul it, an 09 won't either, time to look for a super duty ), but won't do it as good or look as cool as an 09. In ending get your panties out of a bunch and except the 09 F-150 for what it is, the best damn F-150 that's ever been built

Last edited by 07fx4silver; 11-16-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
I have to agree with Quintin on this one. The 97 was a "NEW" truck, the 04 was a "NEW" truck. The 09 is a refresh, a major one but still a refresh. There is nothing new about the engines or trans in the 9's, the six speed trans is imported from the expy line and the 4.6 3v has been in the explorer since 06.

If you look back a few years, there was an idea floating around about doing a 6 inch stretch on a 04-08 screw and putting the longer scab doors on. Ford got the message and did exactly that on the 09 screws. The scabs are identical to the 04-08's. Another message ford heard was get rid of the useless half doors on the reg cabs, they did just that and now all cab styles have the same front doors (the same ones from the 04-08 scabs)

As far as I'm concerned, the 09's are just an overpriced 08 wearing a new suit.

Before you say I'm trying to rationalize that my 07 is just as good, maybe you are just trying to justify spending 17K for what amounts to a new suit.

OMG what is it with these last gen owners lol. Please show me the facts that the truck is not different to yours. All i have seen is facts that it is different in thousands of ways. There's even 06/07/08 owners of 09's who are saying that it's a different truck as they have purchased it. im not biased as i have never owned a f150 in any year.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:56 PM
OMG what is it with these last gen owners lol. Please show me the facts that the truck is not different to yours. All i have seen is facts that it is different in thousands of ways. There's even 06/07/08 owners of 09's who are saying that it's a different truck as they have purchased it. im not biased as i have never owned a f150 in any year.
Imagine taking your body (which in this case would be an 04-08) and correcting all of it's short comings (which would be the 09+). Still the same body (platform), but everything has been improved, though because it's based on the same body (platform) it's not a COMPLETE redesign. That should make it easy enough for you to understand

Old 11-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by 07fx4silver
Imagine taking your body (which in this case would be an 04-08) and correcting all of it's short comings (which would be the 09+). Still the same body (platform), but everything has been improved, though because it's based on the same body (platform) it's not a COMPLETE redesign. That should make it easy enough for you to understand
So the only part of the truck that is the same on the last gens is the A pillar and back of the cab sheet metal work. This in your eyes is a refresh??? i would say that is 99.9% a redesign. Now if they had kept 40-50% of the last gen truck then perhaps you would be correct in saying it's a refresh.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You keep bringing up us "last gen owners." You really are trying to justify your purchase, aren't you? Trying to make yourself feel better for dropping that kinda coin?

No one's bagging on you or your truck, it's just an opinion, the 2009 is not a totally new truck per se. Think of the 2009 F150 as like an improved 2004-2008, which ain't necessarily a bad thing.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:54 PM
So the only part of the truck that is the same on the last gens is the A pillar and back of the cab sheet metal work. This in your eyes is a refresh??? i would say that is 99.9% a redesign. Now if they had kept 40-50% of the last gen truck then perhaps you would be correct in saying it's a refresh.
I (partially) agree it's 99.9% redesign, but guess what, that's not a COMPLETE (100%) redesign, as it still rides on the same (fully boxed) platform, though it is improved . Also what you mentioned aren't the only things that are the same, but the A-pillar you mentioned isn't the same. Figured you would have known that, mighty 09 guru . If anything, please keep posting, as it's extremely entertaining and very informative

Old 11-16-2008, 09:12 PM
these types of posts are starting to get old.

If Ford didn't keep the same exterior cab shape, doors, and exterior door handles, alot less people wouldn't be calling it just a refresh.

Talk about refreshes, how about Chevy Silverado trucks back in most of the 90's and early 2000's, it seemed the only changes they did were to the headlights and grille.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread is crack'n me up. Seems like this "barritia" is a tool. She seems he11bent on proving something.

I took a look at the 09. NOT because I was ready to buy one, but just to see how much better it was vs. my 06. VERY nice improvement. VERY. I love every aspect of the truck, but I'm not the type who bounces from car payment to car payment. Considering my 06 is practically paid off and I only have 17K on the odometer....I think I'll be keep'n it a bit longer than most.

One of the largest problems with this country are people living WAY beyond their means simply because of this thing called credit. Credit is a good thing when used wisely, but for a vast majority of Americans, credit is a way of life. Jumping from an 06, 07 even an 08 to an o9 is a luxury, not a necessity. Luxury too is a good thing, but NOT at the expense of good financial sense (no pun intended).

Old 11-17-2008, 12:06 AM
Well it clearly shows how much you dont know about the new truck. There's plenty of infomation regarding this. just google it. I think they said the only part that is the same is the A pillar and back of the cab sheet metal. Now if that is not a redesign i dont know what is. Do you really expect them to design the truck from the ground up and invent brandnew never used before parts before every time they bring out a new model. It will never happen.
Quintin might benefit from the reading of "Who Moved My Cheese?: An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life" by Kenneth Blanchard

Quick Reply: The New vs Refresh Debate