2009 - 2014 F-150

The New vs Refresh Debate

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms8
This thread is crack'n me up. Seems like this "barritia" is a tool. She seems he11bent on proving something.

I took a look at the 09. NOT because I was ready to buy one, but just to see how much better it was vs. my 06. VERY nice improvement. VERY. I love every aspect of the truck, but I'm not the type who bounces from car payment to car payment. Considering my 06 is practically paid off and I only have 17K on the odometer....I think I'll be keep'n it a bit longer than most.

One of the largest problems with this country are people living WAY beyond their means simply because of this thing called credit. Credit is a good thing when used wisely, but for a vast majority of Americans, credit is a way of life. Jumping from an 06, 07 even an 08 to an o9 is a luxury, not a necessity. Luxury too is a good thing, but NOT at the expense of good financial sense (no pun intended).

Im not trying to prove anything. Im just sick of going to forum after forum and thread after thread and hear current f150 owners say the truck is the same and just a refresh. I am also saying last gen owners??? What else would you rather me call it! The old f150?? the 04-08 owners?? Call it what you want. Also like i said i have not owned a last gen truck so i am biased in anyway. To me i have a choice. A or B One is more expensive but then again one has a lot more feature's i want than the 09 has. for instance

Sync with nav
more interior room
Flat load floor
Side bed steps
Tailgate step
Cable lock system
Heated and cooled seats
6 speed box
better MPG
Nice interior
Great a/v package
Trailer sway control
Break controler
Reverse sensing cam on 8" screen
Quiter ride
More comfortable

These are just a few of the options that alone mean a lot to me that the 08 cant offer. Im not even gonna go into the other thousands of improvements because you clearly think its the same truck!!!

Old 11-17-2008, 08:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Barritia
Im not trying to prove anything. Im just sick of going to forum after forum and thread after thread and hear current f150 owners say the truck is the same and just a refresh. I am also saying last gen owners??? What else would you rather me call it! The old f150?? the 04-08 owners?? Call it what you want. Also like i said i have not owned a last gen truck so i am biased in anyway. To me i have a choice. A or B One is more expensive but then again one has a lot more feature's i want than the 09 has. for instance

Sync with nav
more interior room
Flat load floor
Side bed steps
Tailgate step
Cable lock system
Heated and cooled seats
6 speed box
better MPG
Nice interior
Great a/v package
Trailer sway control
Break controler
Reverse sensing cam on 8" screen
Quiter ride
More comfortable

These are just a few of the options that alone mean a lot to me that the 08 cant offer. Im not even gonna go into the other thousands of improvements because you clearly think its the same truck!!!

You are clearly a Zen Master at the 'ol cut-n-paste.......

This should end this debate now once and for all, and shut your festering pie hole.....

Does the 09 F10 share ANYTHING in common with the 04-08?

SIMPLE YES or NO answer is all.........

That's what I thought.

The 04 F150 shared NOTHING in common with the 03, ZERO, ZILCH, NADA!

BTW,
From what I've read in the past, Quinton is a Ford mechanic, so I would think he would know vastly more than you (who thinks the printed word is the say all/end all) about what is new and what is CARRIED OVER regarding the 09 F150.

I don't think the 09 F150 is a "simple refresh", more like a "dramatic refresh", but it is certainly not a 100% new truck. There are enough new and improved features to make me want one, but not at the expense of getting rid of what I currently own. If the economy were in better shape, and I thought I could get a worthy amount of $$ for my perfect '06, then I might look at the 09 in a more serious light.

My advice to you chief is to get off your high-horse and tone it down. You come off as sounding like a pretentious twit who knows nothing more than what they read in an online magazine.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:08 AM

O RLY? lol.. here's a few things they had in common off the top of my head..

Both were called Ford F-150s
Both had 5.4L engines
Both had 4 tires
Both ran on gas
Both were trucks

lol..

Last edited by zeruin; 11-17-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by zeruin
O RLY? lol.. here's a few things they had in common off the top of my head..

Both were called Ford F-150s
Both had 5.4L engines
Both had 4 tires
Both ran on gas
Both were trucks

lol..
But the 97-03 didn't have the 3V 5.4, nor did it make 85% of it's TQ at 1500 rpm

Old 11-17-2008, 09:27 AM

This should end this debate now once and for all, and shut your festering pie hole.....

Does the 09 F150 share ANYTHING in common with the 04-08?

A SIMPLE YES

That's what I thought.

BTW,
From what I've read in the past, Quinton is a Ford mechanic, so I would think he would know vastly more than you (who thinks the printed word is the say all/end all) about what is new and what is CARRIED OVER regarding the 09 F150.

I don't think the 09 F150 is a "simple refresh", more like a "dramatic refresh", but it is certainly not a 100% new truck. There are enough new and improved features to make me want one, but not at the expense of getting rid of what I currently own. If the economy were in better shape, and I thought I could get a worthy amount of $$ for my perfect '06, then I might look at the 09 in a more serious light.

My advice to you chief is to get off your high-horse and tone it down. You come off as sounding like a pretentious twit who knows nothing more than what they read in an online magazine.
I agree

Old 11-17-2008, 09:37 AM
I just took the time to wash my '09 this weekend. After washing, I can tell you that the only part on the exterior that might be the same is the plastic between the hood and windshild. I hate how some of the holes do not let water drain. I also didn't realize until this weekend that there is no molding around the front and rear windows.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ilovemyford
Quintin might benefit from the reading of "Who Moved My Cheese?: An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life" by Kenneth Blanchard
Perhaps. But that doesn't change that the '09 is a refresh.

ETA - Lemme clarify somewhat. My opinion (and the opinion of several others here) is that the 2009 is not a totally new truck, and I'm gonna stick with that. My reasoning is that a lot of stuff crosses over between the 2004-2008 and 2009. That's not being mean, smart assed, or degrading the new truck, that's just the way Ford is. The '97-'03 to 2004 change over was a new truck, since few if any hard parts really crossed over. The frames were totally different, suspensions, the 5.4 3V was introduced, and so on. Even though the sheetmetal is different, I look at the 2003-2006 Expedition/Navigator and the 2007+ Expedition/Navigator in a similar way.

That's not to say that it's a bad truck. I like to think of the 2009 as an improved 2004-2008. Most all the shortcomings and complaints about the '04-'08 were addressed and fixed in the 2009, with some extra gravy on top. That's a good thing, and it's a good truck.

Last edited by Quintin; 11-17-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:33 AM
I think it all depends on how you look at it. I agree with you both. If you look at it you can tell that it was inspired by the current body style along with some engines Ford was already using on other vehicles. If you look at it that way than yeah your not going to see it as a complete new truck and maybe just a redesign. If you look at the "new" 6 speed tranny, new frame, longer leaf springs, all new interior, yada yada yada, than yes its a whole new truck. Do I like the truck? Yes. Do I like my current truck? Yes. I think the 09's look great but I'm not sure if it looks better as than the current model. I know it may perform better but I'm not sure if it looks better. No offense to anyone (all of our taste is different) but I think that the 04-08 looks much better than the 97-03 but I'm just not that sure of that with the 09's over the 04-08. That's my 10 cents.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:59 PM
The original debate was if this was new or just a mild refresh. Not 100% new vs 99.9% new. An example of a refresh was in 2006 when they changed the front bumper, grille, added a foot to the bed of the crewcabs, chrome package on Lariat and XLT, luxury package in the FX4, new colors, Harley, etc. That's called a refresh. Adding over 2000 new parts, new front end, new back end, new powertrain, all new interior, new HVAC, new frame, new advancements such as sway control, the safety cage, steps, TBC, fuel economy, increasing towing to 11,2000 on all cabs, and changing little things like the muffler, the fuel cap, windshield, etc is a new truck. For it to be new and not a refresh, they don't have to start from square one and rebuild the whole thing but they nearly did. If it wasn't a new truck their lawyers wouldn't let them say it was all new. Also, I checked Rockpick's review, and 10 times he says new. Nowhere does he say just a refresh.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Rambo
The original debate was if this was new or just a mild refresh. Not 100% new vs 99.9% new. An example of a refresh was in 2006 when they changed the front bumper, grille, added a foot to the bed of the crewcabs, chrome package on Lariat and XLT, luxury package in the FX4, new colors, Harley, etc. That's called a refresh. Adding over 2000 new parts, new front end, new back end, new powertrain, all new interior, new HVAC, new frame, new advancements such as sway control, the safety cage, steps, TBC, fuel economy, increasing towing to 11,2000 on all cabs, and changing little things like the muffler, the fuel cap, windshield, etc is a new truck. For it to be new and not a refresh, they don't have to start from square one and rebuild the whole thing but they nearly did. If it wasn't a new truck their lawyers wouldn't let them say it was all new. Also, I checked Rockpick's review, and 10 times he says new. Nowhere does he say just a refresh.
No one is saying the truck isn't new, it is very much a new truck with many significant improvements, but it's just not a complete rebuild/design like the 97 and the 04 were. I think we're all pretty much on the same page but are just having a problem with a play on words. Like I said earlier in this thread, who gives a flying ******* what it is design wise and lets focus on what it really is and that would be the best damn F-150 ever built

Old 11-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Rambo
increasing towing to 11,2000 on all cabs
Good god how did they do that

Old 11-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by 07fx4silver
No one is saying the truck isn't new, it is very much a new truck with many significant improvements, but it's just not a complete rebuild/design like the 97 and the 04 were. I think we're all pretty much on the same page but are just having a problem with a play on words. Like I said earlier in this thread, who gives a flying ******* what it is design wise and lets focus on what it really is and that would be the best damn F-150 ever built
Actually they are saying it isn't new. If you go back to the other threads, there are people saying the truck isn't new, just a refresh, Ford is trying to "dupe" people with the "same truck" with a pretty "facelift." All the while ignoring the over 2000 new parts and it being leaps and bounds better than the previous remodel. If you don't give a flying f, carry on to the 04-08 forum, because my argument is not with you. Thanks.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:33 PM

Does the 09 F10 share ANYTHING in common with the 04-08?

SIMPLE YES or NO answer is all.........

That's what I thought.

BTW,

Shows how much you know you fool. They are just the main parts i am really interested that were of the top of my head. Would have took longer for me to find the details to cut and paste than it would have to type it my self. Mong

Old 11-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
Perhaps. But that doesn't change that the '09 is a refresh.

ETA - Lemme clarify somewhat. My opinion (and the opinion of several others here) is that the 2009 is not a totally new truck, and I'm gonna stick with that. My reasoning is that a lot of stuff crosses over between the 2004-2008 and 2009. That's not being mean, smart assed, or degrading the new truck, that's just the way Ford is. The '97-'03 to 2004 change over was a new truck, since few if any hard parts really crossed over. The frames were totally different, suspensions, the 5.4 3V was introduced, and so on. Even though the sheetmetal is different, I look at the 2003-2006 Expedition/Navigator and the 2007+ Expedition/Navigator in a similar way.

That's not to say that it's a bad truck. I like to think of the 2009 as an improved 2004-2008. Most all the shortcomings and complaints about the '04-'08 were addressed and fixed in the 2009, with some extra gravy on top. That's a good thing, and it's a good truck.
Quintin:My 04 5.4 still rattles momentarily on cold start up until oil pressure is up and I am using all ford filters and 5/20 syn. blend oil my dealer says this is normal and will not do anything do u think they have addressed this issure??

Old 11-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blackf-150
Quintin:My 04 5.4 still rattles momentarily on cold start up until oil pressure is up and I am using all ford filters and 5/20 syn. blend oil my dealer says this is normal and will not do anything do u think they have addressed this issure??
There's updated cam phasers and lash adjusters for that.

Quick Reply: The New vs Refresh Debate