2009 - 2014 F-150

5.4 #s are in... FINALLY

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
Can't really argue with anything ya said here...

What I meant by shortening the life, was based on the 5.4 platform. By cranking up its HP numbers, making mods, and tuning it for maximum HP gains, will shorten its life span. The high compression, the high torque loads, the higher strain on the drivetrain and the entire truck in general just take its toll far quicker.

Would I be mad if Ford went with a new engine ? Heck no, and eventually I think they will drop this modular motor, and go back to a more traditional gasser, or better yet, introduce more diesel options ( )
I wouldn't mind running a 6.5 or larger engine, having the bigger HP numbers, but I also want Ford to stay true to it's "Built Ford Tough" and being one of the hardest working, longest lasting trucks out there. To crank up the HP numbers, just for the sake of having higher HP.... I guess just isn't for me. I like the "real world" power the Ford provides.

New engine did you say? There has been rumors swirling in the mustang community for a long time about a new 5.0 4v engine for the stang. According to insiders this engine will also make its way into the f150 although it will be tuned a lot different of course. The numbers that have been thrown around make the 5.4 obsolete. I hope its more than just rumors and I can all but promise you that you will see this engine in the mustang in 2011. Better days are ahead.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang9
Pickup truck online is doing a test on half tons that is due out in about 60 days I think so it will be interesting to see the results of all of the half tons. Bet you a cup of coffee that the 5.4 will get smoked towing and not towing and will suck up just as much gas as the others. Tow ratings are just that. I think they are pencil whipped by Ford for bragging rights. They do have the best frame ect but lack the raw power under the hood. They have gotten better so I will give them that. I would just like to see Ford more competitive with powertrains. They do well against the GM 5.3 but that is not their top dog. See my point?
Well you have to remember that ford has had poweful engines and people just didnt buy the trucks. There was a small minority of people who purchased them so it was no longer cost efective to produce them. What you have to remember is the cost. Ford could copy Toyota, dodge and chevy with spending more % on the engine, but thats means less spent on the truck it's self. This is why ford are the leaders in truck design. I would rather have a better built truck than an extra 20% bhp. This is why Dodge's, Toyotas and chevys feel so cheap and dont last like the fords.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:14 PM
I would rather have a better built truck than an extra 20% bhp. This is why Dodge's, Toyotas and chevys feel so cheap and dont last like the fords.
I agree with you on this. They are all probably more than any of us really need power wise. Honestly, I could probably be very happy with the 5.4 and I was just playing devil advocate somewhat.

Im not convinced that a Ford will last any longer. Im also not convinced a Chevy will last any longer. Some of it is just luck of the draw. If you take decent care of them and dont beat them up everyday then I think they will all give good service over the long haul.

My brother in law just sold a 93 f150 with a 300 six in it with 260,000 miles of pure neglect and abuse. His workers used it and after the first six months it looked like it came out of a junk yard. They beat this truck to death in everyway possible and they could not kill it. The oil seldom if ever got changed and when it did it was with some off the wall el cheapo stuff. It got to leaking oil real bad at the end but ran like a top. This is what I wish we could expect but I know he just got lucky. He has never got a bad Ford, Chevy, Dodge or anything else. Some people are just lucky.

If it was raining *****s I would reach down and pick up a *****. Thats how my luck goes.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:38 PM
320 and 390 is really not that bad, considering this truck is going to be lighter and have 2 more gears to work with. Besides, there are a lot of new engines on the way.. ecoboost, 4.4 diesel, 5.0 v8, possibly BOSS....

And if you guys haven't seen this thread.......
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...t-f-150-a.html

Old 09-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Mustang9
You make some valid points no doubt. My question is why do you assume that a higher hp engine will not last as long? Im not being a smart a@@ by asking by the way but somehow I have my doubts about this. Sometimes, you can take a smaller engine and work it to death and it will die early simply because it didnt have enough power to begin with. Would a 4.6 last as long doing the exact same work as a 5.4? It has to work harder so I doubt it would.

I understand there are limits to each platform and what they can reliably produce powerwise. Honestly, I have never been impressed with Fords mod engines. I think in mustangs and crown vics they are fine but I have always had my doubts in the back of my mind in the trucks. Mind you, I have never owned on in a f150 either. Personally, I think the GM small blocks are bullit proof as you get. The seem to do better on fuel as well but they do have to be revved a bit higher to reach peak power and the torque curve may not be as flat as the Fords now.

I understand peoples frustration with ford being so short on hp. They honestly are not competitive at all there but they did find some nice gains in torque. They have squeezed the 5.4 for all its worth and they just lack the cubic inches to get anymore out of it. I often wonder if they could do it all over again if OHV engines would not have been a better choice. GM has done ok with theirs.
What i think MT was getting at was that upping the power beyond factory parameters shortens the life of the engine.

A 4.6 doing the same work as a 5.4 surely will be more stressed and possibly not last as long.

But compare a completely stock 5.4 engine vs a 5.4 engine with a canned programmer and an aftermarket intake. These engines are notorious for running lean with aftermarket intakes, and a canned tuner often leans out the engine even more for extra power. Sure the modified engine will have more power and possibly more ease doing work, but it will fail quicker than the stock engine too. The engine is designed for stock parameters for a reason, and Ford seems pretty damn good at nailing these parameters, as their engines are known for lasting a long time...even if being worked hard.

As for GM small blocks being bullet proof, i agree they are good engines, but not as good as Ford's. My family has 3 chevys: a '77 chevy with a 350/5.7, a '98 chevy with the redesigned 5.7, and an '03 with the 5.3. I can tell you that my 5.4 3v has been/is a lot better than all of them. Power wise and reliability. The transmission that chevy decided to put behind the 5.3 is absolute garbage, and it seems u-joints are constantly failing. The engine is only part of the drivetrain, to be reliable the whole package has to be "bullet proof."

Old 09-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by bobs64ford352
I was also just giving my opinion as a younger guy that still has some showing off to do along with using the truck for what it was made for. I don't believe I'm the only guy that feels this way. I guess I'm just in the midst of some old pokees.
I agree with you and I am an old guy. Trucks are not made to be fast, but that doesn't mean that they have to be slow. I really enjoy having a truck that can get out of its own way when it needs to.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Wow 320 from the factory!

I would have thought the 6 speed would have helped more on the mpgs.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by spikedaniel
Wow 320 from the factory!

I would have thought the 6 speed would have helped more on the mpgs.

Honestly, so would I. Mixed with the lighter frame, and all around lighter model, i thought the MPG's were gunna shoot up a couple more then they did.

Oh well, still stoked to see how these trucks perform, real life testing that is.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Lighter frame?

Not really something I want to hear about in my trucks. They are supposed to be beefy & durable first! Chances are pretty good that if they are made lighter, they are not going to be as durable. I thought Ford made the right decision with the stronger (and heavier) parts put into the 2004 and new models.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Look into it a little bit first.

Its actually lighter, AND stronger. With today's metals heavier doesn't always mean stronger. They used a different material, and formed it in a different way I believe, to make it much stronger, and at the same time, shed a few pounds.

They also claim a higher use of the "high strength steel" then previous models. So, it will be lighter, have better crash ratings, and be all around stronger.

found a link:
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/13/d...eep-its-crown/

"For those thinking that the '09 F-150 is just a skin-deep redesign, you'd be wrong. The entire platform is new and boasts a fully boxed frame made of hydroformed high-strength steel. It's lighter and stronger than the current platform, so expect payload and maximum towing numbers to increase when they're released on Sunday."

Last edited by MercedesTech; 09-15-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:31 PM
For 250$ you can get a Edge programmer to beat the crap out of Ram... That's what I did :P

Old 09-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by LaredoRV
For 250$ you can get a Edge programmer to beat the crap out of Ram... That's what I did :P
You may need a little more than that for the 09s. The 5.7 is rated at 390 hp and 400+ ftlbs of torque.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:18 AM
But torque is about the same and Ford is supposed to give you more torque and hp earlier on.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by bluegreenf150
But torque is about the same and Ford is supposed to give you more torque and hp earlier on.
Yes this is true. the 5.4l in the 09's is ment to produce a more TQ low down than the other brands. Which should make it better for towing the larger loads. Esp with the new 6 speed box.

Quick Reply: 5.4 #s are in... FINALLY